McKinven/Love

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McKinven/Love

Postby prairedog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:14 am

I noticed that you already had a McKinen/Love posting, but it seems to have been entered quite a while ago. Since I'm just new to this forum, I thought I would re enter that topic since I'm another branch of that name. My Love line came from Kilberry and ended up in Greenock. My grandmother was Annie Love and named my Dad after her father who was John Love from Kilberry. If anyone is researching the line of Donald McKinven/Mary McLellan please contact me. Thanks :D :D
prairedog
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McKinven/Love

Postby moggie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:07 am

hi prairedog,
Mary McLellan was married to Donald McKinnon (seems he changed his name frome McKinven). She died in Greenock age 71 on 30 Nov. 1867. Donald noted as a tailor. Her parents were Malcolm McLellan and Jane McPhail from Drumnamucklach farm Kilberry, Argyll. Her brother John is my direct ancestor who also settled in Greenock and married Elizabeth McNeill from Lochgilphead Argyll. I am happy to exchange info if you like.
Regards,
Moggie
moggie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby prairedog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:36 am

Hi Maggie,
Thanks for reply. That would be my family. I've done a lot of research on the Love family. It has been quite a chore putting all the variant spellings of that name together. I have the children of Malcolm McLellan but haven't spent a lot of time on that family. It seems that a lot of people from Kintyre ended up in Greenock. Spent some time in Scotland in July and went over to Kintyre looking for farms. Amazing that they are still there after all these years. Some of the family were born at Tiritigan and Keppoch farms. Time frame was back to 1760. I have posted almost all my information on Ancestry.com. Are you located in Greenock???
prairedog
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby moggie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi Prairedog,
Yes, I live in Greenock (for my sins!!! LOL). Where are you?
Last year I visited Drumnamucklach farm after asking around (it was hard to find). You can actually see it online now as it's been converted to holiday homes. I used Google. Fabulous views. While I was researching the McLellan's I noticed that there was a John born in the late 1700's. This threw me as MY John was born in the early 1800's. I believe that the first John died and MY John was given the same name. His death certificate proves he was Malcolm and Jane's son.
Did you notice that the witness to Mary's death was a Dewar- a nephew? That family also originated in Kilberry. Using the IGI I found a variety of spellings for Dewar-one in particular..Duar. All these Dewars, McPhails, McLellans, McKinnons, Harts seemed to marry each other and on the census's they seemed to keep very much together.
I have not yet found out where the McLellan's and the McPhails originated or if they had lived in Kilberry for generations-would love to know.
Best wishes,
Moggie
moggie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby prairedog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:30 am

Hi Maggie,
Just had a page of inf o written to you and I just wiped it out. Will try again tomorrow. Sorry
I live in Black Hawk, South Dakota but originally from Greenock. One and only sibling and family still live in Greenock.
June :D :D
prairedog
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jimsy » Mon May 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi
I'm new to this site and am looking for information regarding my middle name. I'm James Mckinven Dawson and my brother is Andrew Alexander Dawson we know our middle names originate from Campbelltown and i know its been passed down through the family. I think well i'm sure that my grandfather is from campbelltown. His name is Hector Mckinven Patterson i've hardly ever met him he lives up Nairn somewhere so i can't really ask him. I know there is still someone a relative in campbelltown because my mum recieves a card from there at christmas. Maybe you could help me with it being my middle name i'd like to know the heritage.
jimsy
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy