McPhails in Kintyre

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McPhails in Kintyre

Postby kwetu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi

Ive just joined the forum and am researching my family who originated in Kintyre.

Im descended from a Rodger McPhail (spelling is correct) who was born in October 1799 Kilkerran, Argyll. I also have a cross reference to a place Terfirgus apparently in/near Kilkerran...
Rodger left Kintyre as a young man as he married and settled in Lanarkshire by 1823. Being a coal miner I wonder if he learned the trade in Argyll Colliery but how to check?

Rodgers siblings were:

Erofin McPhail born Drumlemble 1802
John McPhail born Campbletown 1805
Hugh McPhail born Campbletown 1808
Mary McPhail born Campbletown 1813

There may be more ! Im not convinced the "born Campbletown" is entirely accurate but they were certainly christened there.

Rodgers parents were a Hugh McPhail born Argyll in 1773 and marrying a Mary McLean (possibly from Coll) in Campbletown in 1798. They are both buried at Kilkivan which I believe is near the Argyll Colliery site...beyond that I know nothing and have drawn blanks...

If anyone relates to this or can advise where I might dig further I would be delighted to hear.

Best wishes

Iain A Fraser
kwetu
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McPhails in Kintyre

Postby bastonjock » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi Iain

We share the same ancestor,i have those McPhails in my line,after campbeltown they headed to Blantyre

Matt McPhail
bastonjock
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy