McQuilkans in Kintyre

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McQuilkans in Kintyre

Postby lizziemac » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:20 am

Hello
I'm researching the McQuilkan's in Argyll and wondered if anyone could help me. I have a Donald McQuilkan born 1790 married to Catherine (or Katherine) Stevenson and they had the following children

John, Duncan, Mary, Isabel, Betsy, Katherin, Angus, Archibald, Donald, James and Janet.

I have managed to trace Duncan and Donald through to today, but am having difficulties finding the others.

Thanks for your help
lizziemac
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McQuilkans in Kintyre

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:03 am

Hi Lizzie

Firstly, welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

Thought I recalled information being asked for on this family name before.

Here is a previous thread

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7681&hilit=McQuilkan

Perhaps it can help?

Regards
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jacobite » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Lizzie, I was wondering if you had managed to get any further with tracing the McQuilkans as I can see my own ancestors in your search and I wondered if you had made a tree on genes reunited that I could have a look at.
all the best,
jacobite :D
Jacobite
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby mj_smith » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 am

HI Lizzie,
I would be very interested in information about the "Duncan" in your family! My ancestor, "Duncan Archibald McQuilkan" was born some time after 1792 but we do not have any information about his parents or siblings. I'm wondering if share ancestry!!
Morris
mj_smith
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby FionaMc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 am

hi Lizzie

I have a connection to Angus McQuilkan who is on the 1841 census as being 50. That makes him born around 1790. I think they rounded the numbers to closest decade so dates are approximate. He was my ggggrandfather. I am descended from his eldest daughter Agnus who married Donald/Daniel McPhail.. they all lived in Drumlemble. I am not sure if this is the family you are looking for. Angus Married Margaret McDonald and their childrens names were.... Agnus,Duncan, Neill, Donald and Angus.
It seems likely that it may be the same family as yours.... because of the similarity of first names....

let me know what you think..my email address is fmcmillan2003@yahoo.com

thanks
all the best

Fiona McMillan :D
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Kintyre Genealogy