Greenlees and Ralston

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Greenlees and Ralston

Postby Barnsyard » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm

I am researching the family of John Greenlees (Bapt. 2 Jan 1769 - Died 16 Jul 1844 Campbeltown) and his wife Margaret Ralston (Bapt.5 Dec 1769 Southend Died 6 Jun 1854 Ayr). Their son Gavin was born in 1804 and enlisted with the 8th Company of the 8th Battalion on 30 Oct 1826, was posted to South Africa where he married, bought his pension and stayed.

I believe John Greenlees' parents were Robert Greenlees and Janet Alexander, and that Margaret was the daughter of Gavin Ralston and Janet Hedderie/Hendry?

John was described as a ship master and sea captian, and was in Ayr in 1841aged 70. I am particularly in terested in finding out if the family was connected to the Distilleries, and whether more information would be available on his shipping carrer.

Any information would be gladly received. I am visiting Campbeltown in October.

June
Barnsyard
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Greenlees and Ralston

Postby maggie bather » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:18 pm

My first mother-in-law was Sheila nee Colvill of Bellgrove, Campbeltown. Her father was John Colvill who died, I think, in about 1926 and owned a distillery. At that time I believe there were about 26 distilleries in Campbeltown because the water was mainly spring water and very soft. Sheila's mother's maiden name was Wallace and a sister (I think) married a Greenlees who also lived in Campbeltown. The sister- who I think married a Greenless - had a son who she called Wallace who remained living in Campbeltown. He was first cousin to my mother-in-law. He had two sons, Robin and Johnny, who were about the same age as my husband - now in their seventies. I met the Greenleeses alot - they were a really nice bunch, lots of fun. Johnny was a well-known reprobate. I hope this helps you with your enquiries - I am sure Wallace Greenlees must have been involved in one or other of the distilleries. The Colvill whiskey was called Springwater and was used as a blend - but I don't know with which branded product. Maggie.
maggie bather
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby spanner » Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi barnsyard,
while re-searching my own family tree in Campbeltown,I thought you may be interested in my link to Greenlees, although not related to your family I had 2 relatives working for the Greenlees family in Witchburn Rd as domestic servants, there names were Margaret Bamon (my g/grandad's sister) & Mary Hogarth ( my g/gmother's sister) this info was on the 1881 census.

Spanner
spanner
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby MPR » Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 am

re ralston genealogy: harold@ralstongenealogy.com
great bit of info there.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Kintyre Genealogy