Searching for family tree of Watson and McMillan

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Searching for family tree of Watson and McMillan

Postby Sharon » Sun May 10, 2009 10:55 am

Hi, can someone help me with some information please? I'm trying to find out more about Catherine Mary Watson, born at Muasdale 31 October 1863. Her father's name was David Watson. Her mother's name was Elizabeth McMillan of Mull of Kintyre. Any information about the Watsons and the McMillans would be much appreciated. I'm also wondering if there are still any family members living in those areas? Catherine and her parents came to Australia in 1874/75 on the "Aberdeen Steamship Line". Thank you. Sharon, Australia
Sharon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Searching for family tree of Watson and McMillan

Postby History » Sun May 10, 2009 11:17 am

Sharon, lots of McMillans and Watsons in this area so I'm sure someone can help.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sharon » Sun May 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Thank you, that is good news. Perhaps someone has already researched the family tree(s) of the Watsons and McMillans and it is available, to make the connection?
Sharon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby MaryM » Sat May 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Is it possible that Catherine was born in 1861 not 1863?
I have a record of a Catherine Watson b30th Oct 1861 at Muasdale to David Watson fisherman and Elizabeth McMillan who were married at Killean Manse August 1848.
I think this David is a brother of James Watson [who is an ancestor of mine] and a son of James Watson and Jean/Jane Greenlees.
I think Elizabeth McMillan's family lived in Clachaig, which is a farm near Muasdale.
According to my notes, David and Elizabeth had other children: Mary bc1850, James bc1853, Jane b24/8/1856, Elizabeth b20/12/1858 and Donald b1/9/1863. Do any of these names match up with what you have?
Best Wishes Mary
MaryM
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby fionag » Sat May 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi Mary & Sharon

I am a decendant of the McMillans from Clachaig, in fact my grandpa and granny lived there up until the early 1980s.

I will need to check with other family members but will try to help as best as we can.

Fiona x
fionag
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Sharon » Sun May 17, 2009 1:33 am

Hello MaryM, thank you for this information which is very encouraging, I'll contact you by private message as requested.
Sharon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Sharon » Sun May 17, 2009 1:35 am

Thank you Fionag, I'm afraid I don't have any further information to assist you, other than what I've already posted. So whatever you can find out will be much appreciated. The information supplied by MaryM is the correct McMillan.
Sharon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 pm

MaryM wrote:Is it possible that Catherine was born in 1861 not 1863?
I have a record of a Catherine Watson b30th Oct 1861 at Muasdale to David Watson fisherman and Elizabeth McMillan who were married at Killean Manse August 1848.
I think this David is a brother of James Watson [who is an ancestor of mine] and a son of James Watson and Jean/Jane Greenlees.
I think Elizabeth McMillan's family lived in Clachaig, which is a farm near Muasdale.
According to my notes, David and Elizabeth had other children: Mary bc1850, James bc1853, Jane b24/8/1856, Elizabeth b20/12/1858 and Donald b1/9/1863. Do any of these names match up with what you have?
Best Wishes Mary

Out if interest Sharon - was this your family?
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mturnart » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:46 pm

I think that you have mentioned people in my family tree. I am descended from James Watson who owned the Inn at Muasdale. He married twice, his first wife, Mary McMurchy, judging by the date of her death died as a result of childbirth to a daughter Catherine. He went on to marry the child nurse/ housekeeper, Margaret Armour and had 5 children one of whose name was David born 1870. The fifth child, Jemima was born posthumously in 1872.
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mturnart » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Sharon wrote:Hi, can someone help me with some information please? I'm trying to find out more about Catherine Mary Watson, born at Muasdale 31 October 1863. Her father's name was David Watson. Her mother's name was Elizabeth McMillan of Mull of Kintyre. Any information about the Watsons and the McMillans would be much appreciated. I'm also wondering if there are still any family members living in those areas? Catherine and her parents came to Australia in 1874/75 on the "Aberdeen Steamship Line". Thank you. Sharon, Australia

I think that the David Watson you mention was a bother of James Watson born 1821. James was my ancestor and Inkeeper at Muasdale. James's parents were Jemes Watson, a baker and cartwright from Campbeltown and Jean Greenlees.

Hope this is your family,
Maree.
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Kintyre Genealogy