McQuilkan ancestors

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McQuilkan ancestors

Postby mj_smith » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:39 am

Hello,
My McQuilkan ancestors emigrated to Canada in 1852 and until now, I have not been able to establish any other McQuilkan ancestors that may have remained in Scotland or emigrated to others countries. However, I have learned that my great, great grandfather may have had a brother Angus McQuilkan who was born in the Killean and Kilchenzie Parish in 1803. He is likely the same Angus McQuilkan listed in the 1841 census as living in Saddell and Skipness with Elizabeth and seven children!
If you are related to this Angus McQuilkan or have information about his descendants, I'd really appreciate your getting in touch with me.
Morris
mj_smith
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McQuilkan ancestors

Postby JOEMAC » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 am

Hello Morris,
DONALD McQUILKAN was married to my great grand aunt ANN McMILLAN.He was born in Rathlin Island about 1823 and he married ANN at Killean & Kilchenzie on 17 February 1842.He died on 18 May 1899 at Clochkeil farmhouse, Campbeltown.I have been unable to find out if they had any children so if he is connected to your McQuilkan line and if you have any other information on him i would love to hear from you.
Cheers,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby mj_smith » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:04 pm

Hello Joe,
Great to hear from you! When we visited the area in 2005, we were put in touch with Iain McDonald, the acknowledged genealogy-historian there. He mentioned being in touch with some Australian relatives of a Donald McQuilkan. Given that our relatives were from the same area of Scotland, I'm sure we are related! Now to find the connection.
I will be watchful for any information that may be of interest to you and will certainly get in touch when I do.
Have you been in touch with Iris Wilkie?
Yours truly,
Morris.
mj_smith
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby UP THE ROAD » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:04 pm

mj_smith wrote:Hello,
My McQuilkan ancestors emigrated to Canada in 1852 and until now, I have not been able to establish any other McQuilkan ancestors that may have remained in Scotland or emigrated to others countries. However, I have learned that my great, great grandfather may have had a brother Angus McQuilkan who was born in the Killean and Kilchenzie Parish in 1803. He is likely the same Angus McQuilkan listed in the 1841 census as living in Saddell and Skipness with Elizabeth and seven children!
If you are related to this Angus McQuilkan or have information about his descendants, I'd really appreciate your getting in touch with me.
Morris

You may find some of your ancestors under the name Wilkinson as some McQuilkans or Quillans changed their name to Wilkinson. Good luck
UP THE ROAD
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby mj_smith » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:59 am

Thanks and yes, I am aware of that.
Our ancestors also changed their names to Wilkinson at or shortly after emigrating to Canada but were still known as McQuilkans in the Scottish census of 1851.
Does anyone have a map showing the locations of the many Largie farms that our ancestors rented?
Morris.
mj_smith
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JOEMAC » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 am

Hello again Morris,
Great to hear from you.I cannot recall contacting Iain McDonald regarding Donald McQuilkan but it has been several years now since i looked for information on him so i may very well have contacted him.
I have not heard of Iris Wilkie but if she can add anything on Donald & Ann then i would love to contact her.Do you have a contact address for her.My e-mail is joemac@internode.on.net feel free to pass it on to her if you wish.
Hope to hear from you again.
Cheers,
Joe.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jacobite » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi, my own McQuilkan ancestors stayed in the area although we used to have letters from the 1800s from their relations who had emigrated telling them not to come, I dont know what happened to the letters. My own ancestors were on Largie Farms and if you could give me a list I could let you know if they are still in use or now ruins. Of course Largie was a much bigger estate way back then.
Iain MacDonald is a great knowledge on all things Argyll, the people and the places, he has the advantage of having grown up and worked amongst most of the Kintyre folk, you could not do better than ask him as he knows the descendants of the family you are looking for, and shared a dram or two with them, information you will never get from records.
All the best,
jacobite
Jacobite
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby JOEMAC » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:09 am

Hi Jacobite,
I would love to get intouch with Iain MacDonald but unfortunately i do not have a contact e-mail address for him.It seems like he is a wealth of knowledge on the Kintyre families and as i have some "brick walls" in myMcMillan family as well as my McQuilkan family i am sure he would be able to assist me.
Hopefully he reads these postings and gets in touch with me.
Cheers,
Joemac
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jacobite » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:25 am

Hi, no I dont think Iain MacDonald will be surfin the net, but who knows. You would have to give him a phone, I think its High Bank Park maybe No.1 in the phone book, it wasnt hard to find.
Have you put your family tree on genes reunited? I know its a footer but it lets others make a connection.
All the best,
jacobite
Jacobite
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby JOEMAC » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:57 am

Hi again Jacobite,
I live in Australia so i don`t think a phone call is an option.
Yes part of my McMillan tree is on genes reunited.
Good luck with your research.
Joemac
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jacobite » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Ach Australia is not that far away, Iain gets calls from Australia, New Zealand, Canada all over the world, and all tracing their roots in Kintyre, mind you it would be a long phone call as he is known to enjoy a wee blether about the families of Kintyre.
All the best,
jacobite :D
Jacobite
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby JOEMAC » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:21 am

I widny like tae walk the distance.I will see what i can do.
Cheers,
joemac
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby arjaycob » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 am

Yeah many of my ancestors are buried there. In fact, my grand grandparents are buried.

Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby FionaMc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm

My ggggrandfather was called Angus McQuilkan. He married a Marion McDonald and so probably isn't the person you are looking for... but my MacMillan family had strong connections with Killean and I thought it was worth contacting you in case it was of any interest to you.
I have a family tree if you send me your email address I will send it to you.. I can't work out how to send an attachment from here sorry.

All the best
Fiona McMillan
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Kintyre Genealogy