McEwing and Wallace in the 1800's

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McEwing and Wallace in the 1800's

Postby Rob McEwing » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am

Hello all, just starting on my family history research & discovered they were lucky enough to live in the Campbeltown area.

My great grandfather Joseph McEwing married Mary Wallace in 1853; Mary was daughter of John Wallace from Carradale. Joseph and Mary McEwing had eight children between 1855 and 1871: John, Catherine, Robert, Joseph (sadly died only 13 days old), Joseph, Angus (my grandfather), Maggy and Flora. At the time of the 1871 census they all lived at High Lossit in Machrihanish in only two rooms with windows!

Joseph's parents were John and Flora McEwing who I found in the 1851 census living in Salt Pans (which I assume is on the 'main' road through Machrihanish) but I don't know any more about them as yet.

I would be very interested in any information on my family or any of the places they lived. From responses to a previous post (see Hello from Virginia), I discovered my father's cousins Joseph and William McEwing who were killed in the first world war and commemorated on the Campbeltown war memorial, they had lived at Knockhanty and High Lossit.

Thanks in anticipation
Last edited by Rob McEwing on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
(Robert Wallace McEwing)
Rob McEwing
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McEwing and Wallace in the 1800's

Postby Rob McEwing » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 am

I'm feeling lonely - no responses so far! Surely there must be some McEwing descendants out there? In the meantime, I have found some more relatives so here's an update.

John McEwing born 1804 (not sure where) and Flora Stevenson born 1797 in Salt Pans were married around 1825 and had five children: Joseph (my great grandfather), Mary, Catherine (married Malcolm McGeachie and emigrated to Canada), John and Flora. The children’s births (between 1828 and 1840) were recorded under four different variations in spelling: McEwan, McEown, McEwin & McEwen. The 1841 census records them under the name McEwen at Salt Pans:
Here also is the village of Salt-Pans, so named from some works that once existed here for the manufacture of sea-salt. Its present celebrity is due to its excellent cod fishery, "Pan cod" being esteemed the best and finest upon the coast.
from GLENCREGGAN (A Highland Home in Cantire) by Cuthbert Brede, 1861

Their youngest son, John McEwing married Mary Morrison in 1858 and they had 10 children: Barbara, Flora, Betsey, John, Duncan, Joseph, Mary, John and twins Maggie and Catherine. They lived at Moy (1871 census) and Lintmill (1881); Lintmill seems to have been quite a large settlement on the Campbeltown to Machrihanish road (west of Stewarton) but has now completely dissapeared.
Rob
(Robert Wallace McEwing)
Rob McEwing
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby kathrynsmith1980 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi - I don't think i'm related from your family - but I felt so sorry for no one having responded to you! I am descended from Charles McEwen, born circa 1804 in Campbeltown. He moved to Glasgow and married Jean Eaton (or Jane Ayton/Aytoun...various spellings!) in 1828, but I cannot find a record of his birth. This means I cannot work out who his siblings were...it's extremely infuriating! I hope you are having better luck. I am also having trouble finding out what Campbeltown was like at this time. Charles' wife came from Greenock, and I wondered whether that was a stop for ships to Glasgow from Campbeltown? Anyway, it would be nice to hear back from you.

Regards,
Kathryn Smith
kathrynsmith1980
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Rob McEwing » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks for your message and sympathy Kathryn! I have had several PMs or other contacts as a result of this post so not entirely alone, though I haven't yet found any living McEwing's in my family line.

Spelling variations don't help do they - McEwen was one of the spellings in my family and in fact McEwing is very rare before 1800. So we may be related to your Charles McEwen - although I haven't come across any Charles in my family yet.

I'm sure Greenock was a stop between Campbeltown and Glasgow, my grandfather Angus McEwing moved to Glasgow in the 1890's to work as a boilermaker and so probably took that route.
Rob
(Robert Wallace McEwing)
Rob McEwing
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby crmcgregor » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:06 am

Hi Rob,

I have 3 children (Joseph, Mary and Catherine) of John McEwing and Florence Stevenson in my Duncan McGeachy / Mary Ramsay family tree. Joseph's wife, Mary Wallace was d/o John Wallace and Margaret Gilchrist and the only one who stayed in Campbeltown (the others went to Southland, NZ). In fact, Joseph and Mary's son Robert McEwing also lived in the same NZ area and some of the Wallaces and McEwings are buried in the same plot. Margaret Gilchrist was d/o Angus Gilchrist and Mary McGeachy. Mary McEwing (d/o John and Florence) was w/o John Henderson s/o Duncan Henderson and Mary McGeachy. Catherine McEwing was w/o Malcolm McGeachy (McGeachie) of Dawn Twp. I would be interested to exchange information. Please email me at crmcgregor@hotmail.com.
crmcgregor
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby marshall » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:47 am

Hi, I'm a descendant from Joseph & William McEwing family. I have an old picture of William Mckinnon McEwing in his Highland military uniform among many other pics. I was recently told how they died & one brother retrieved the others body & belongings from the battlefield. I'm getting more information & putting together a family tree.
marshall
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JOEMAC » Fri May 15, 2015 7:02 am

Hi all,
I was interested in the postings regarding the McEwing family.
My 3rd. cousin Peter McSporran married Christina Watson McEwing on 8th. of January 1917 in Campbeltown.
She was the illegitimate daughter of Mary McEwing.
Christina was born on 22 May 1898 at Queen Street,Campbeltown and died on 17th. of January 1955 at 15,Princess Street,Campbeltown.They had three children,Peter,Mary & Annie.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Kintyre Genealogy