Mcintosh -Mcgougan -Muir

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Mcintosh -Mcgougan -Muir

Postby kim » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi , My name is kim Adams , My Maiden name was Mcgougan .
My Dad is John Mcgougan and my Mum was Nan Mcintosh they are both from Campbeltown ..
I am After a picture for My Mum's Bithday of her Grandfather Duncan Mcintosh he used to work in the Black smiths , this would mean so much to her as well as myself , can anyone please help me .........
Thnk you
Kim :)
kim
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Mcintosh -Mcgougan -Muir

Postby kim » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello again ,I should of Said that the Black smiths was in Stewarton..
My Uncle John ( Mcintosh ) Still lives in Campbeltown as does my Uncle David ( Muir )
Many thanks for any help or Information ....
Kim ............
kim
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby ktosh » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:01 am

Hi, My name is Kirsteen i am married to Stuart McIntosh, who will be your cousin, His father is John who was brought up in Stewarton. His grand father was the black smith at stewarton. We need to get in tough so that i can sort things for you. Take Care.......
ktosh
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby dcfraenc » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:05 am

Hi Kim !

My name is Donald Crawford and I'm living in Charlotte, North Carolina and I was researching this site looking for information on my grandmother and great grandfather and happened to see the name McGougan.
My grandmother was Mary McGougan and her father was Malcolm McGougan( from Gigha).
Anyway, they lived at 27 High St. Campbeltown in 1906, when Mary got married to a Gilbert Lawrie, who was a blacksmith in Stewarton ( same place as you were asking about) .Sorry I have no photos.
I know that Malcolm McGougan had 2 younger brothers - Edward and Archibald and his mother was Margaret McGougan from Killean.
Are your relatives part of this branch of the McGougan clan ?

In the 1950's and 60's I used to come to Campbeltown for great holidays with friends and relations. I stayed with Angus and Lily McIver in Crosshill Ave and their kids Jackie and Ann....Lost touch with them completely now...sad.There was also the Macmillans - aunt Ina, Lorna and the twin boys William and I think... Malcolm ?

If you have any info. on these folks, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Hope you got your photo.

All the best,

Donald.
dcfraenc
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby kim » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Donald ,
Thank you for your reply , i don't know is the answer .
My Grandad's name was Furgus Mcgougan and his wife was Elizebeth Mcgougan ( maiden name Mcclatchie ) i think.
They had three children , my Dad John Mcgougan and two daughters Marry and Betty and they both emigrated to America.
i also know that my Great Granny 's name was Marry Mcgougan but unfourtunatly that's all i do know .
Maybe you know where this fits ?
Look foward to hearing from you
Kim ..............
kim
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby dcfraenc » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:41 am

Hi Kim !

Thanks for the quick feedback and sorry it's taken me so long to reply ( away from home on busines last two weeks).
I don't think your relatives are part of my family tree...although you did give me insight into a name I could not decipher in a marriage certificate of my great grandfather Malcolm McGougan - a fisherman, who apparently came from Gigha.
He got married to a Flora Maitland on 26th Feb. 1869, in Campbeltown and Malcolm's father was another Malcolm ( fisherman - born about 1820) but his mother was Elizabeth McGougan, whose maiden name ....looks like McClatchy....I had thought , at first, it might be McConachy . these records are so difficult to read.
So, I think you've helped me to get the name right......Thanks for that.

Did you get the photos of the Blacksmiths shop you were looking for ?
Was your Mum's bithday a success?

I looking forward to coming back to Scotland at the end of April for my niece's wedding and meeting a few older relatives , who may be able to help me with my 'quest'

So, thanks again for taking the time to answer.
All the best,

Donald.
dcfraenc
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Reewel » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:53 am

Hi I read this post with interest as I am trying to find out information on my great grandfathers mother, Janet McGougan, from Gigha. I am new to this so have come to a stand still. All I know is she married Peter Smith, and died in 1871 age 60. Could this be the same McGougans? Her children were born in Ardminish Gigha.
Reewel
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby bracken » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi, I am also a McGougan whose descendants are originally from Gigha and Campbeltown.

Re: Janet McGougan who married Peter Smith in 1829 - I'm not sure if you have her parents names but they are Angus McGougan and Elizabeth Galbraith (also spelt as Galbreath on some certificates) both born on Gigha. They are both in my lineage. Her birth certificate spells her name Jannet McGugan born 10 June 1810 in Gigha and Cara.

My Gt Gt Gt grandparents were Angus McGugan (different one) and Peggy McGeachie
Gt gt grandparents were Malcom McGugan/Barbara McMillan.
Gt grandparents John McGougan/Margaret McArthur
Grandparents John McGougan/Janet McCallum Campbell

My grandparents along with my father John came to Australia in the 1920's.

If you don't have Janet's siblings, please let me know and I'll post them here.

Also I have struck a brick wall with my Malcolm McGugan. He was born in 1840 in Gigha to Angus McGugan/Peggy McGeachie. I think he may have died at sea (fell off a wharf) in 1875 but as the marine register death certificate does not list his parents, I have no way of proving this is him. He had a child with Barbara McMillan - John McGougan born 1872 - but they never married. Barbara went on to marry a John McLean in 1878.

If anyone can help as to what may have happened to him it would be much appreciated.
bracken
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cmcgugan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:51 pm

I am involved in DNA research on the origins of the McGugan/McGougan family of Scotland. The project website can be found at http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join ... up=McGugan, and http://www.familytreedna.com/public/mcgugan/ . So far, it appears that the family descends from a Dane who may have come to Scotland in the 800 to 1000 AD time period. I would very much like to get a member whose known ancestry is Kintyre or Gigha, since all members so far either are from Knapdale, or have unknown Scottish roots.
cmcgugan
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby sademcg » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:34 pm

hello kim, I believe I'm your great aunt on the McGougan side, My husband is Malcolm McGougan, his older brother was Fergie Mcgougan,who was married to Elizabeth(Betty) and I last met your father John when he came up for his father's funeral. We have just come back from Campbeltown. we were down for your great uncle Stewart and his wife Alice's 50 wedding anniversary, his sister Catherine,sister Maureen and her husband Neil were there too. Their father and mother were Malcolm and Mary (Galbraith) McGougan, Mary's sister is still alive and lives in Carradale I don't know her proper name but we call her Nanny she will be 96 this year and lives on her own though there's family a few yards away. If you want any other information I will be checking this web site for replys I am also going to do a search on the Mcgougans soon as I am just finishing of my own family at the moment, hope this is of help. Sade.
sademcg
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby condorjourneys » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:57 am

Hi all

We are very interested in learning more about the descendants of Angus MacGougan and Elisabeth Galbraith. My husband's granny is a Smith from Gigha and consequently we have done a lot of research into the Smith as well as McNeill families of Gigha. We also have a full copy of all births/marriages and death's registered in Gigha between 1792 and end of the 1800's and are thus able to verify any entry and ... let you have a copy of the page!

Angus MacGougan and Elisabeth Galbraith had 10 children. Their son Neil married a Catherine Galbraith, the daughter Elisabeth a Colin McNeill and the daughter Janet a Peter Smith.

At present I am transcribing all the Gigha entries into a spreadsheet as this will reveal more family connections as well as making lookup easier.

We are very interested in learning more as we are trying to not only do the ancestors but also all the descendants ...

Look forward to any contact with descendants to help with research and learn more about the decendants ..

Danielle Clark
condorjourneys
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Doreen Edwards » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Kia ora from New Zealand...My Grandfather's Grandparents (my GG grandparents) were Janet McGoughan and Peter Smith, married 7 Aug 1829. Their grandson Duncan McKinnon Smith (son of Archibald Smith and Mary Martin) was my grandfather who immigrated to NZ 1912, with his wife Agnes Wilkinson MacMillan.
To honour our loved Grandparents we are holding a centennial reunion of all their descendants, which now number hundreds. We are compiling a publication for this reunion in 2012 and although our grandparent's MacMillan branch is reletively well documented we would like all possible on the Smith side, which of course includes the McGougans.
Clearly we are related to others posting in this forum, and I look forward to hearing from you, and indeed perhaps meeting on my planned visit next year.
Doreen Edwards
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy