Researching Armour Descendants.

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Researching Armour Descendants.

Postby lyntrevor » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 pm

Hello Cambeltown,
My grandfather, who I never knew, was Archibald Armour, born c. 1885 in Cambeltown. His brother Neil, born 1888 joined him in immigrating to Victoria, Australia in 1912/13. Parents were William Armour and Ann McMichael. There are a lot of Armours in Cambeltown's history, but has anyone any interest in or knowledge of this family?
All the best from hot Newcastle, Australia.
lyntrevor
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Researching Armour Descendants.

Postby robinoz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Have you a copy of 'The Commons of Argyle'? It's an 8mB pdf file with several Armours.
Send your email address to pripley@bigpond.net.au and I'll return a copy.
robinoz
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby lyntrevor » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:36 am

Hello Cambeltown,
My Armour research continues on a slightly different tack. I believe there are descendants of William Armour(half brother to my grandfather Archibald ) and Mary Galbraith living in Southend and Cambeltown. Would like to hear from you if possible. Pleasant Sunday morning here on the East Coast of Australia. How are things in Cambeltown?
lyntrevor
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Tue May 22, 2012 1:03 pm

lyntrevor wrote:Hello Cambeltown,
My grandfather, who I never knew, was Archibald Armour, born c. 1885 in Cambeltown. His brother Neil, born 1888 joined him in immigrating to Victoria, Australia in 1912/13. Parents were William Armour and Ann McMichael. There are a lot of Armours in Cambeltown's history, but has anyone any interest in or knowledge of this family?
All the best from hot Newcastle, Australia.

Hi Trevor ! It’s been a long time now so I suppose you’re now well advanced with your tree ! If not and if Archibald’s first wife was called Ann McMicheal 1851-1901 with children Archibald, Sarah and Neil..., just let me know what you want.

..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lyntrevor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 am

Hello Iain, it has been a long time since I last checked this site. Thanks for your reply. We have advanced considerably since our post, but happy to compare information if you are interested. Ann McMichael was William Armour's second wife. He had 6 children with his first wife, Sarah Lang before her death in 1883. He had 2 children with Ann McMichael, Archibald and Neil. All around the Campbeltown area. William and his daughters, Isabella, Agnes and Sarah from his first marriage came to Australia, as did Archibald and Neil from the second marriage. All the best, Lyn and Trevor.
lyntrevor
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Lyn and Trevor..., Hi !
If some of the following info is new, I can try getting more.
Have a nice day..., Iain.

William Armour
Birth 1May1850 in Muasdale, Killean&Kilchenzie, Argyll, Scotland.
Death 1Jun1921 in 13Lennox St. Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia.
Ann McMichael
Birth 1851 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Death 1Apr1901 in Dalaruan Terrace, Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland.

(Note: :) Ann here in 1901 was a neighbour of my G Grandfather Robert MacFarlane McArthur:
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205 ... nscene.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205 ... laruan.jpg
He was there from 1891 to 1911..., and my Grandmother was born there in 1895. So they obviously knew your family !
This is a short list of people living there just before WW2. Note the Armour family in N° 10.
Numbers: 1, Smith, 2 McCallum, 3 McKerral, 4 Houston, 5 Finn, 6 Clark, 7 McCaig, 8 West, 9 Henderson, 10 Armour, 11 a shop run by Nellie McLean, 12 Katie McLean, 13 McSporran, 14 McLean.
http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Dalaruan+S ... 03,,0,2.57
Note: I've just noticed that in the Google view, there are 8 houses. In the list above there are 14..., this means that when our families lived there the houses were half the size; being doubled up at a later date for more space.
Amazing !!! Robert had 12 children living there plus the parents and a servant ! :shock:

Son:
Archibald Armour
Birth 21Mar1886 in Dalaruan Terrace, Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland.
Death 24April 1959 in Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne Victoria Australia

Archibald’s wife:
Ida Edith McDonald
Birth 18 Jun 1895 in Toongabbie, Victoria, Australia
Death 11 Dec 1944 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Daughter:
Isabella Nancy Armour
Birth 5 Mar 1924 in Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia
Death 4 Dec 1954 in Cohuna, Victoria, Australia
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away