A North American Invasion!!!!

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

A North American Invasion!!!!

Postby cgms310 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 pm

The Belair, Noel and Stewart families from America and Canada who met thanks to the Kintyre Forum, have decided to travel to Campbeltown in August of 2009 to met each other for the first time and to visit Argyll, in search of additional family information, to take some pictures and especially visit a few of the local hot spots!!!!!

Everything is in the very early stages right now and no flights have been booked or any accommodations arranged. I am thinking that the majority of us would fly into Glasgow and then hire a car or van for the trip.

Naturally, any suggestions as to where best to stay locally would be highly appreciated and it would be a pleasure to meet some of you who have been so helpful in our personal research. Please post any suggestions and information regarding hotels, B&B’s, and local trips or events that you think might be of interest during the month of August!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: A North American Invasion!!!!

Postby elizabeth13087 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:09 am

Hi Charles,
don't forget the southern English contingent of the Bowie bunch. I did a Recce last summer. Also could be a Welsh contingent, if discussions i had with my cousin Stuart (not to be confused with Stewart) come to fruition. See you in August!
Eliz
elizabeth13087
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jane belair » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:39 am

Hi Charles

There may be even more as Marty from Australia has also expressed an interest!! Can't wait to see you all in person!! Charles we don't need a bus - what about wee Donald??? Just kidding you :lol: talk to you soon Jane
jane belair
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:29 am

Hello Elizabeth and Jane!

I am not sure if Campbeltown is quite ready for such an invasion of the "family"!!

Eliz: I did not forget about you, I promise :)

Jane: I did not forget about "wee Donald" from Lanark either...... I am just hoping he is going to be our tour guide!

I have already received some very kind e-mail and PM's from members of this forum who would be happy to help, once we know an approximate number of attendee's! Right now I think we are looking at about ten of us, if the “Aussie” contingent flies in!!!

Just like I said, “there goes the town”!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:39 am

Quite facinating reading all the developments on here with people tracing their familes. I hope more of it continues in 2009 - it is afterall the Year of Homecoming!

http://www.homecomingscotland.com
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Nomad » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:08 pm

if you're going to be here in August then maybe you'd enjoy the music festival?? tho, of course, that might make it more difficult for accomodation.... just a suggestion anyway!
Nomad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I would be very interested to know the dates of the music festival, as your point is very valid and we should try to avoid that week or weekend, as accommodation would certainly be difficult to find.

As the number of Stewart family members increases, so does the desire for the planned "invasion"! I wonder if a small hotel would consider taking all of us? We are up to probably twelve people and it's only January!!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: A "mini" North American Invasion!!!!

Postby cgms310 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Just a heads-up to my friends on the Kintyre Forum.

The recently married daughter of Edward Stewart of Ohio will be in Campbeltown in mid April and is planning to visit some of the Stewart gravesites and the old farms in the area.

So if you see Shannon Stewart-Mueller and her husband strolling along the country roads or around town, don't forget to say "Hello"! Shannon will also be visiting Ireland during her stay.

My own plans to come "home" are still looking good for August. I will keep you posted!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Another "heads up" to my Kintyre Forum friends!
(I seem to be helping the local economy)!

Kenneth Whitby-Stuart (my second cousin) and the most senior member of our family, is coming to Campbeltown for the first time to visit the region. :"Ken" will be accompanied by his son (my third cousin) Paul Stuart. They intend to stay for a few days and will hopefully get to see Skeroblinraid, etc.

Once again, if you "bump" into them during their travels, please say hello!

August is no looking too good for me right now for my trip to Campbeltown. The economy is still in “flux” here in Canada and my company is not doing as well as we would like for the second quarter of 2009, so my services are needed here at this time.

Best regards to all,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: A North American Invasion... Here they come!

Postby cgms310 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Well, the INVASION. is about to begin.

Tomorrow evening, I will be at Toronto Airport with my cousin Alexander Stewart to meet for the first time and then say goodbye, to two of the four Bowie girls, who are heading for Campbeltown this coming weekend!

From Canada we have Jane and Judy, from Germany we have Marian who is driving and I believe Elizabeth is already in Campbeltown!!!

If you see them wandering around the town, please say hello!

I wish I could be there this year but family and other "events" have got in the way. My turn will come soon!!!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kevin Mc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Look forward to hearing how you get on, and to seeing the pics :)

Hope you all have a nice time and that the weather is kind to you.
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby cgms310 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:14 pm

I just received the most wonderful e-mail from one of my cousins Dick Stewart and his wife Teresa from Canada, who both recently visited Campbeltown.

His message was filled with thanks and gratitude to the people of the town and surrounding area who showed so much kindness and offered him help and direction during their stay.

This message and others from my family (who have visited the region) never cease to amaze me, but at the same time, are a true testament to the kindness of those residents in Argyll, who live the (some would say) old fashioned "open door" lifestyle, which I enjoyed as a child, but has now sadly been lost in just about every other part of the world....

I am so looking forward to my visit next year.

Regards to all,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: A North American Invasion!!!! continues!

Postby cgms310 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm

My cousin Edward Stwart and his wife Heidi from Ohio, USA are coming to Campbeltown for the very first time this month!

You may recall that Edward's daughter (Shannon Stewart-Mueller) came to Campbeltown in April of 2009 durign her honeymoon.

Edward will be visiting all the Stewart sites and will certainly be stopping by to see John and Elizabeth Marrison.

If you see them in the "toon", please say hello!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Kintyre Genealogy