Stewarts, Bowies (Buies) Clarks

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Stewarts, Bowies (Buies) Clarks

Postby jane belair » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 am

Hi - I am new here and am looking for information or living relatives. My great grandfather was Peter Clark Stewart born in 1879 to John Stewart and Agnes Clark. Peter"s siblings were John, Andrew who married Isabella McDonald, daughter of Colin and Jane McDonald, and Margaret (Maggie) who married Robert Sinclair, son of Jennie and Duncan Sinclair. I know that Andrew and Isabella and Maggie and Robert came to Canada and died in Thunder bay Ontario as did Peter Clark Stewart and Bessie May Allen , his wife. I know that Agnes Clark died in 1886 and John remarried to Ann McKinnon. I only know of one child born to them Donald McKinnon Stewart. We were told that John also outlived Ann and remarried but I have yet to prove that.

John Stewart's parents were John Stewart and Mary Smith. He was born 15 Sep 1853. I believe that both of his parents were born in 1814. Agnes Stewarts parents were Peter Clark and Catherine Bowie (Buie). John and Agnes were married in 1877. I do not know the parents of Peter Clark but I know that Peter was born 1805 and died 1879. Catherine Bowie was born to Archibald Bowie and Catherine Stewart (who I believe is the sister of John Stewart married to Mary Smith). Agnes's siblings were John, Jannet, Margaret, Peter, Robert, William, Archibald and 2 children that died Peter and Agnes( these names were used twice)

Archibald Bowie was the son of Lachlan Bowie and Margaret Kelly. Lachlan was born 1750 and Margaret 5 June 1766. Their children were Mathew Bowie born 1783 married toIsabella Kilpatrick, Jane born 19 Nov 1784, Donald born 3 Jul 1791 and Catherine born 11 Aug 1793. Archibald and Catherine Bowies children were Catherine born 1815 married to Peter Clark, Lachlan born 24 Dec 1819 married to Margaret Reid, Agnes born 3 Jun 1822, Daniel or Donald born 14 Feb 1825, Janet born 1827, Archibald born 1821, Andrew born 23 Jul 1833, Mary born 10 Apr 1836 and John born 1 Feb 1839.

If any one knows of these families I would appreciate any help I can get!! Thanks in advance Jane
jane belair
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Stewarts, Bowies (Buies) Clarks

Postby cgms310 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:11 pm

Hello Cousin Jane!

I have sent you a PM and will be in touch later today!

I cannot believe how many family I have discovered via the pages of the Kintyre Forum..... It is amazing!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:42 am

Hello again Jane,

After our telephone conversation, I spoke with Alexander Stewart here in Ontario and I think there is a connection via Catherine to your side of the family. My meeting today was postponed until tomorrow at 2 p.m. so look for another e-mail!

Oh and your cousin Elizabeth joined the Kintyre forum and contacted me...... Just amazing!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby vicbitter57 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:47 am

Hi Charles, Jane, Sorry I've not been active on the forum, my wife is ill at present and we have a wedding coming up so I don't get much PC time.
Jane, Donald McKinnon Stewart was my late father (William McKinnon Stewart's) brother, so was Hugh another brother. I've been investigating my fathers merchant navy record via his discharge book, I also have Donalds. John married Janet Brownlie (or Mitchell?) after Ann passed away. I live in Australia now, moved over here in 1980.
Charles, How did you go with Donald? he's a great bloke, full of information. regards to all! (lots of Stewarts it seems),
Martin
vicbitter57
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby vicbitter57 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 pm

Opps, Brain fade kicking in!, My Grandfather is Donald McKinnon Stewart !, to many people with the same names :) . He then married Mary Campbell 1917 and they had Donald, William (My Dad) and Hugh. I'm named after my Gran, Martin Campbell Stewart. I can send you a pic of him (Donald) if you want, My Son is the spitting image of Donald. regards to all Martin.
vicbitter57
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear about your wife. I do hope she is feeling better soon.

Donald is an amazing man and sent me a huge envelope full of letters, charts and family information.

You may not know this, but Donald gave me a name in my village here in Oakville and it turns out that he is also a cousin of ours and lives less than a mile from my front door!

*Alexander Stewart was born in Campbeltown and moved to Canada about 51 years ago. I sat down with him on Saturday in his home and we both had a copy of Donald's chart, which helped us see where we all connect**. We swapped stories, information and paperwork and will be seeing each other again soon (God willing). Alex (or Alistair as he is known because there were too many Alexander’s) has a sister and family still in Campbeltown and he will be travelling there in April of 2009 for his sisters 80th birthday.

I have spoken with Jane Belair by e-mail and phone and also Elizabeth Kitching in Dorset, England who is also connected to us via Catherine Stewart. There is also a Judy Noel who is yet another cousin living in Barrie, Ontario who I have not yet connected with, but I think it will happen within the next 48 hours.

** My connection is that of my g.g.g grandfather Archibald Stewart who was a brother of your Andrew Stewart.

Now, *Alexander Stewart is a great grandson of a John Stewart, who was a brother to your Catherine Stewart. Both were children of Andrew Stewart and Barbara McVicar.
John Stewart named his daughter Catherine Stewart who was *Alexander's grandmother, hence the confusion over the Catherine's!

I now have a headache from all this, but I am loving every minute of it!

Talk again soon,

Regards,

Cousin Charles.

p.s. Enjoy the wedding, but PLEASE ask them not to choose the following names for their children (if they are related) as I do not think the family tree can take anymore:

Catherine’s, Mary’s, Isabella’s, Archibald’s, John’s, Andrew’s, Donald’s, or Alexander’s. However, Charles is a really great name for a boy or Charlotte for a girl!! Ha,ha…..
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby vicbitter57 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi Charles, and all relations!,
Its amazing this, here's me thinking there's only a few of us around. I used to dream of having a rich relative leaving me a castle in their will, if that happenned there'd be about 3000 of us fighting over it :D . When I get a chance I'll have to look into the Skipton relations. It seems the family was here (Oz) long before me. If you have any pics/tree's or info from yourself or Donald I'd be very interested in seeing them. I will try to call you over the weekend, (I've been trying to call Donald but he is in and out quite a bit). Once the weddings over and the missus is better I'd like to really get into this. What would be a suitablbe time to call?. regards Martin
vicbitter57
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby elizabeth13087 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:20 am

Hello Charles, Jane and all cousins (known and yet to be found),

having noticed my name mentioned a few days ago, i thought i had better say "hello",

My link is similar to Janes, via Catherine Stewart who married Archibad Bowie in 1814 in Ballergie and had 10 children. I descend via their son Andrew , married Jane McMillan and moved to Linlithgow in abt 1860 and Old Monkland Glasgow in abt 1867. They were coal miners and my grandma was Andrews' son Archiebalds daughter. She was called Jane and married a collier called Robert Thomson, son of an Irish family from Ballymena (Sam Thompson)
Jane and Robert married quite late in life so only had 3 children. My dad Sam b 1917 being the eldest. Due to this "tradition" of having children quite late, which my parents continued, my grand parents were born in the 1880s whilst i was b in 1959!

It was a nice but totally unexpected, surprise to be phoned from Canada by Charles, pity i was chopping onions at the time!

It's great to find you all and i look forward to lots of discussions about aincient family in the future.

Goodnight from Dorset
Elizabeth
elizabeth13087
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:01 am

Evening Cousins!

Martin,

I am home this weekend but if I happen to stray, you can call my cell phone (numbers below). Make sure I have your number also, as I can call you for about $0.01 per minute from Canada!

Elizabeth!

The pleasure was all mine, onions and all! It was lovely to chat with you and we will do that again soon.

Regards,

Charles.

H. (905) 815-9014
C (416) 303-7151
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:43 pm

A heads up for my Bowie cousins.

I just received an e-mail from a Kathy Stewart-Olson, who knows her family came via Canada to the USA, but knows little else about them and no idea what part of Scotland they originally came from !!!!

I sent Kathy a short e-mail letting her know that her Canadian cousins are alive and well and hopefully, she will reply to the e-mail after the intial shock of finding all of you/us has set in!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby annemarie hunt » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:29 am

Hello. My name is Annemarie. I was just browsing some Campbeltown stuff while my mum was visiting and you might be interested to know that we are related (through marriage) to the Stewarts of Campbeltown. Alistair, who moved to Canada is my mums step brother. His father (Andy) married my grandmother (Margaret (Maggie) Donachy). They were married for about 30 years until they died. I was last there in 2007 when we visited Alistairs sister Jessie, and her daughter Sandrew. I spent many lovely summers in Campbeltown staying with my granny and "Uncle Andy". My mum (May) said if anyone is in touch with Alistair, would you say hello from us, or perhaps he would like to send us a message. Thanks very much and I look forward to hearing from someone!!!!! Annemarie
annemarie hunt
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby SHS » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Image Hello Annemarie:
I'm Alex's daughter Sue (in Canada). I've sent you a Private Message containing Dad's email address.
SHS
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy