Crawfords

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Crawfords

Postby EMDEE » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:05 pm

I have been asked by a friend of mine to post an enquiry on here regarding his great uncle (his grandfather's brother).

The only information that I have is that he farmed in the Peninver area in the late 19th Century, probably 1880s/90s, and his name was James Crawford. My friend's grandfather, who was James Crawford's younger brother, was born in 1865 in Greenock, so James Crawford was probably an incomer to the farming community at that time. He has no record of the name of the farm, only that it was at Peninver.

The obvious question is does anybody know of this family, or are there any descendants of James Crawford still in Kintyre?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Crawfords

Postby History » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 pm

EMDEE wrote: My friend's grandfather, who was James Crawford's younger brother, was born in 1865 in Greenock, so James Crawford was probably an incomer to the farming community at that time.

If your friends grandfather was the younger brother of James Crawford what was his Grandfather's name.? I only know one Crawford in town but that's not to say there are not more.

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:38 pm

History wrote:
EMDEE wrote: My friend's grandfather, who was James Crawford's younger brother, was born in 1865 in Greenock, so James Crawford was probably an incomer to the farming community at that time.

If your friends grandfather was the younger brother of James Crawford what was his Grandfather's name.? I only know one Crawford in town but that's not to say there are not more.

History

I have now asked him, and his Grandfather's name was Alex Crawford. There was also another brother, Francis, but to his knowledge, it was only James, the oldest brother, who moved to Kintyre.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby dcfraenc » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:30 am

Hi there !

My name is Donald Crawford and I'm researching my descendants in Campbeltown.
My father was Donald Crawford.
My grandfather, also Donald Crawford, was born in December, 1883 in Longrow St., Campbeltown.
He married a Mary McGougan( from Campbeltown) in 1923 and moved to Milngavie, outside Glasgow.
My great grandfather, also Donald Crawford, was born in Campbeltown, about 1838. He married Elizabeth Colville or McNeill, in 1884 and lived at Longrow St..
My great great grandfather, also Donald Crawford ( I think they were short of first names in these days), was born about 1815 and married a Catherine McAlister,

Thats as far back as I can go, at the moment.

I know the two Donalds from the 1815 and 1838 could not write and I think they may have been tinkers or transients.

Hope that helps.

Any comments , let me know.
All the best,
Donald.( the 5th)
dcfraenc
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy