Tracing Stewarts

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: Tracing Stewarts

Postby cgms310 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi Sheila!

I contacted Dr. David and his brother Dr. Michael Jackson last year (both live in Washington State) and I have the book you mentioned, which you can obtain directly from Michael who has some spare copies in his basement! Drop me a PM if you need the details.

As pointed out, John came over from Kintyre and had 10 children.

As of yesterday, the members of this family total 44 living, 15 of which are named Stewart. Locations range from: California, Texas, Wisconsin, Washington, Maryland, Kansas, Colorado, Nevada, Minnesota and Michigan. I have all their names, addresses and telephone numbers, so if you need to contact them, give me a holler!

This brings the total family I have located since March of 2008 to 83! Prior to that, I knew of only 9!

99% of the credit MUST go to this forum and the amazing people who helped me in my research.

Since then, my DNA results have come back (37 loci yDNA) and I have matched with some people of high position in the UK who wish to remain anonymous at this time. Their personal physician is my contact in London and we are exchanging information on an almost daily basis. Once the link has been established, it will confirm a long held suspicion about the origin of this branch of the Stewart family.

With best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Dear Eric!

You do not appear on the list sent to me by our cousin Jason Potter, however I am pleased to make your acquaintance!

I will send you my e-mail address via PM with my telephone number as we should talk.

Best regards,

Cousin Charles.
Born: UK
Immigrated: USA 1983
Immigrated: Canada 2003
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Eric Carlson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Dr. David Jackson played an important role in my being able to connect to the Stewart family. I visited the DeAngeli Library in Lapeer, Michigan, in 2002 while researching my Carpenter family. Right before I left I noticed a number of genealogies on the shelf one of which was a copy of his Stewart genealogy. I recognized the connection immediately, but I just hadn't been looking for that. I've wanted to thank him ever since then for either personally leaving that there or sending them a copy. It reached at least one person.

I have not connected personally to Jason Potter, but if I remember correctly he is a descendant of Katherine Stewart Potter who was first cousin of my great-grandmother, Jennie Black Carpenter. Katherine was the daughter of Robert Stewart and Jennie the daugther of Robert's older sister, Agnes Stewart Black. The Jacksons are descendants of their brother, John. All were children of John and Janet Cook Stewart.

Anyway, hello all from Alaska!

Eric
Eric Carlson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Sheila Stewart » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:58 am

Hi Charles

I really must check the Kintyre Forum more often. I don't know if that book would do me any good now that Martin's cousin Donald solved the mystery of the Archibald that I "thought" could be mine. Or does it have any Refluech Stewarts mentioned in the book ? I wish I was 100% certain the Archibald of Refluech is mine..... darn that 3 year difference on his headstone.

Can you email Dr. Jackson's address so I can ask about the book. What was the price do you remember?

Cheers

Sheila
Sheila Stewart
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello Sheila!

I also got your Facebook note, thank you :)

I will PM you Dr. Michael Jackson's details (David's brother) as he is the one with the books in his basement. He charged me USD$15.00 which I think covers his printing cost and postage as the book is quite large.

Best regards,

Charles.

PS The only "Refluich Stewart" connection I can see is from the gravestone that both the Jackson and the Potter family have in their respective family archives.

The Stewarts of Blackhall are still a mystery and my connection to them, is the marriage of a "Park" daughter named Mary Stewart who was born in 1740. She married a Dugald Stewart, a son of the Rev. Charles Stewart (they eventually immigrated to Canada). The Reverend claimed descent from the Blackhalls, but I have not been able to prove that YET!!!!

If you have a Stewart male of your line, you need to see if you can obtain his yDNA sample. It will cost about CAD$200.00 but it will help to either close the gap, or blow it wide open!!
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Tracing Stewarts UPDATE

Postby cgms310 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:37 pm

As I had mentioned in a prior post, my yDNA results came back with some very interesting information.

Three Dukes, an Earl and a Lord (all who claim their titles from various illegitimate lines of King Charles II), match my yDNA within 3 loci. One of the Duke’s is only one loci marker away from mine, which is the same genetic distance as my own brother!

Now what has their representatives (a medical doctor and an author) so puzzled, is that I carry the name Stuart (originally Stewart) and based on that fact, they believe our Kintyre Stewart's are a direct line from a branch of the old Royal Stewart family, hence the yDNA remaining unchanged for over 300 years.

After 25 years of family research, this is quite a discovery based on my yDNA results. As many of you know, I traced my family back to Skeroblinraid and High Park circa 1680 however I have hit a "brick wall" with my research and have just recently employed a professional genealogist from Edinburgh, to continue the search.

If anyone feels they may know of a local source, a book, or perhaps a tombstone that I have missed, please let me know, as I would like to make that final link on this portion of the family.

With best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy