Tracing Stewarts

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Tracing Stewarts

Postby vicbitter57 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:41 am

Hi, I'm in Melbourne Australia, on a wet and cold day! just like Scotland. I'm Martin Campbell Stewart related to John Stewart of "Park" Baptised 24th january 1807, who is the son of an Andrew Stewart and Katherin Stewart (McWilliam) married 29th Dec 1787. I hope to learn a lot from this great forum, keep up the good work boys and girls. Best regards Martin
vicbitter57
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Where are you viewing from? Please post

Postby Sheila Stewart » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Martin I'm Sheila Stewart from Northern Ontario Canada, isn't the internet wonderful :-) . I am very interested in learning more about your Stewarts . Would your Andrew Stewart be umm a grandson of Andrew Stewart in Park or Skeroblinraid (1715-1790) and Barbara McVicar (1715-1799). I am looking for information on a John Stewart b abt 1756 who married a Marion McGill .....perhaps he is a brother to your Andrew ??

Cheers
Last edited by Sheila Stewart on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheila Stewart
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Martin and Sheila,

I have been in touch with both of you on an individual basis and once I get your information together, I should be able to discover, your connection to the Park Stewarts who (as you know) I am related to.

Since our e-mail exchanges I have the following individuals who also claim their heritage from the same group of Stewart's who lived and worked the land in Kintyre from the 15th century onwards.

----------------------

Mr. Stuart Greenlees of Melbourne Australia sent me an e-mail as he is connected to one of our cousins Duncan Stewart, who married a Margaret Greenlees in the late 1700's. I am waiting for his response to my latest message.

----------------------

Dr. Hugh Stewart (retired) of Utah is a descendant of William Stewart of Campbeltown. He has sent me a link to view family letters between Kintyre and Utah for a group of Stewarts who sailed to America via Canada and travelled across North America in covered wagons to Utah! The history he has is quite amazing. The conversion from Presbyterian to LDS seems rather odd, but who knows!

----------------------

Ms. Beverley Bradley from Auckland New Zealand has contacted me as she claims her family line comes from a child of Alexander and Catherine Stewart (nee Kelly). I am working with her father to confirm this.

----------------------

Ms. Cheri Stewart in Los Angeles California has an apparent connection to our Stewart cousins who worked on Darlochan Farm. I have sent her the details and a photograph of the gravestone.

-----------------------

Cari Crane of Atlanta Georgia is a descendant of Peter Stewart and his wife Janet McMurchy. I will be calling her next week to see what she has on the family. Meanwhile, I sent her the grave marker for Peter and the other 18 Stewarts, in what is known as a box grave in Kilkerran Cemetery.

-----------------------

Mr. Williams (location not yet known) is a 4th cousin, as he is a descendant of yet another Catherine Stewart. This time a daughter of Archibald Stewart and Mary McLean. This one was easy to find as Mr. Williams is on Ancestry.com and had the birth certificates and marriage record for both Archibald and Mary on his family tree, copied directly from our tree (the pictures even have my name attached). What a nerve!

Regards,

Charles G MacLeod-Stuart.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Tracing Stewarts

Postby Admin3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 pm

I've split this to it's own thread to highlight your topic. If you wish the subject changed from "Tracing Stewarts" please let me know and I will update accordingly or vicbitter57 you can do this by choosing to Edit the topic as the thread originator.
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sheila Stewart » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:10 am

thank You Admin. I would love to see the Tracing Stewart thread remain. As I am brand new here and having a heck of a time navigating :-) . It would be nice to know I just have to type in Tracing Stewarts to find all the links which apply to Us lost souls searching for our roots in Kintyre.
Sheila Stewart
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Sheila Stewart » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:16 am

Hi Charles

I hope you received all the information I sent you ok, I was worried when I never heard back from you. I must check in more often to this wonderful Kintyre forum.
Sheila Stewart
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Sheila,

Yes I got everything thank you. I am looking for Martins information also as he was going to ask his uncle to contact me directly, but I have not heard anything yet.

As you can see from other posts I have made here, this site is amazing. The people are very helpful and the information I have received is some of the best I have ever been lucky enough to

I can update the Williams connection.

I spoke today with a very charming lady in Oregon named Helen, who is tracing the William's connection to the Stewart's of Park. Her daughter will be contacting me directly to discuss their tree and it will help fill in one more gap in our family tree, as to who went where and why!

We will chat soon!

Best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby vicbitter57 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:47 am

Gees, We got our own forum thread!!. Hi Charles and Sheila (name for australian women is Sheila, your not an Ozzie are you??). Anyway just got back from the bush working on the resources boom happening in Oz. Glad to be back, hot and dusty out there. My cousin Donald has contacted me on the phone. I will give a contact address to you Charles, he's keen to talk to you. Its a small world now! He told me some very interesting stuff as he's done the hard slog round the Kirks/Churches/Graveyards etc. Seems there's a lot of us about, anyway were related to some famous people! (i'll keep it a secret just to teese you both) :D . Anyway be in touch soon, regards Martin AKA VicBitter57.
vicbitter57
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:43 am

Hi Martin!

Welcome back.

I received your e-mail and I have sent a message to your Uncle via his daughters e-mail address.

Ah yes, the famous relatives..... Remember to take some of that information with a pinch of salt, as the Stewart's (like a few other families) are famous for "tall stories" which filter down from generation to generation, only to find it was the ramblings of a family member in the early stages of dementia!!!

For the record, I have been "told" the family were/are related to (via marriage):

Audrey Hepburn, Gore Vidal, John F Kennedy, Sir John MacDonald (first PM of Canada), Sir Walter Scott, Queen Elizabeth II, Isaac Newton, Helen Keller, Laurence Olivier, Alexander Dumas (that one I can confirm), Robert Louis Stevenson, Andy Stewart (entertainer), Jackie Stewart (race car driver), Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

Take your pick!!!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheila Stewart » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi Martin

I owe you a long email, sorry I'm slow responding all I can say is until Monday I have company so Computer time very limited.

I'm not an Ozzie but......... *grin* while researching my mothers ancestors I discovered my great-great-grandfather James Henry Wills.

Sometime between 1851 and 1856 left the shores of England and headed to Australia. ( in 1851 census he was on North Street in Ashburton, Devon UK .....and listed as woolcomber ). Perhaps to work in the growing sheep industry, or too try his luck in the gold rush. either way I'm sure it was quit an adventure for a young man to make.

He met Lavinia Gillet Conibear at a friends house they dated and married March 28 1857 at St. Mary's Church, Kooringa, Burra, South Australia. This church was the first Church of England Church built in Burra and was demolished long ago. A new grand church with the same name was opened about 1880 and is still there today.

I believe James Henry was probably a miner who worked for the South Australian Mining Assoc. ( the owner of the Burra Burra Copper mine 1845-1877). At the time of his son Samuel's birth in 1859 he was living in Redruth, Burra, a government town very close to Kooringa. Korringa was a mining company owned town and homes were for lease only , so miners established their own town of Redruth where they could buy land freehold. There was no local paper until 1877 so the details about the early inhabitants is very hard to find.

Blanche Lavinia Wills was born in 1861 in Blanche Town around the same time as the ill fated Burkes & Wills expedition came to its sad end. Wm Wills was born in Totnes , Devon and went to school in Ashburton I believe he was a cousin to my James Henry. I believe my James Henry was part of the search party looking for the lost Explorers. I know Lavinia came across some of the stray camels, this was all in a letter found many years later in one of Lavinia's old purses. :-)

Sometime between 1861-62 they left S. Australia probably from Port Adelaide and returned to Devon.. Blanche was bapt in Ashburton in August of 1862. I have never found him on a passenger list either coming or going .

So that Martin is my Ozzie Story.......

oh , I do have a brother who moved to Kunanurra June of 2007 he is working for Argyll Diamond mine ( oops think that is name of it ) He and his wife just love the outback.

Talk about being WAY off Topic. sorry

my next posting will be strictly STEWART

Cheers
From Northern Ontario

Sheila
Sheila Stewart
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Tracing Stewarts (UPDATE)

Postby cgms310 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:20 am

Just this week, I have connected the above mentioned Dr. Hugh Stewart in Alberta, Canada with Cari Crane of Atlanta Georgia. I was also introduced to a Ms. Melonie Stewart Crnich, who is also a cousin of Dr. Hugh. As a result, I have also connected Cari and Melonie together, as they have almost identical family histories.

Oh and yes, I am related to them too!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby vicbitter57 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:49 am

Hi Sheila, First off, sorry for the delay, bit busy atm.
Well I'd have to say you are an Ozzie!, its strange the way things work out when you have a look at you ancestry. I know the Argyll Diamond Mine as I 'm a programmer and am familiar with the software they use (VERY off topic). Anyay I hope Charles has been able to contact my cousin ( a very nice gentleman) who has lots of stories. I'm researching the "tree" as well as my fathers ww11 merchant navy service, all the "relos" are from the Campbelltown area and they either went to sea, farmed or joined the ministry. My fathers dad was in WW1in the Seaforth Highlanders, then worked for the Duke of Argyll as one of the Gardeners on the Estate. Pop had a few stories of those times as well. I will talk again soon as my PC time is also limited at the moment, Regards to all Martin
vicbitter57
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:10 am

Hi Martin!

Yes I have been in touch with your uncle and yes, we are definitely related!

I need to do some research on the Stewarts who went to Skipton, Australia as they seem to be the link between your side and mine.

From what I have gathered, my g.g.grandfathers (Alexander) brother Andrew was your g.g.g.grandfather.

We are 4th cousins not 6th and I had originally thought.

Your uncle sent me the marriage, birth and death certificates for Donald Stewart and his photograph. I in turn have sent your uncle, pictures of my grandfather, great uncle and my eldest living cousin. The most amazing thing about all this is how much they all look alike!

I am going to keep you updated on the conversations with your uncle.

Best regards,

Cousin Charles. :)
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Eric Carlson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:28 am

Sheila Stewart wrote:I am looking for information on a John Stewart b abt 1756 who married a Marion McGill .....perhaps he is a brother to your Andrew ??

This is probably not an ideal place to start with my first post since this thread has been inactive for a while, but I am also a Stewart descendant from Andrew Stewart and Barabara McVicar, John Stewart and Marion McGill, then John Stewart and Janet Cook who came to Elba, Lapeer County, Michigan, via Canada. Their oldest daughter, Agnes Stewart married John Black in Dalry and they ended up in North Branch, Lapeer County, Michigan, after going first through Canada and then to Columbia County, Wisconsin, where many of the Blacks remained after they left. I know there are many, many Stewarts and cousins from the family that settled in Michigan.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone involved in the forum or who is interested in my particular family. This was all long enough ago that I know little about the family history in Kintyre or the reasons for leaving. My mother used to speak about the Stewarts a little like it was from an oral history of long, long ago.

I'm looking forward to reading more. Besides their history in Kintyre, I'd interested in hearing anything about the Stewart or Black families' time spent in Canada before coming to the United States and particularly about what their motivation for leaving might have been.

Eric Carlson
Fairbanks, Alaska
Eric Carlson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Sheila Stewart » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi Eric

It turns out that I am NOT a Stewart descendant from Andrew Stewart and Barabara McVicar, John Stewart and Marion McGill Apparently my Archibald was not a son of John & Marion as their son Archie was captain 'Archie' born at Peninver 26July1794. After his career at sea he settled in Newburgh, New York, and died there circa 1880. His life is well documented. My Archie died in 1851 McNab township Ontairo.

But Capt. Archie looks like he was indeed a brother to you John Stewart wife Janet Cook who came to Elba, Lapeer County, Michigan, via Canada. Check this out Eric it is a book about your ancestors from FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY CATALOG

Title The ancestry and descendants of Alexander Stewart (1 Oct. 1857-22 Oct. 1938) : a native and long-time resident
of Elba Township, Lapeer County, Michigan, descended from the Stewarts on Park (Skeroblinraid) Farm
in Southern Kintyre, Argyll, Scotland, as well as from such Kintyre families as the Cooks and Taylors at Ski

Stmnt.Resp. compiled and published by David Paul Jackson
Authors Jackson, David Paul (Main Author)

Notes John Stewart Sr. (1800-1895) was born in the parish of Skipness in Argylshire, Scotland.
He immigrated to Canada in 1854 and settled in Elgin County, Ontario.
He later immigrated to Elba, Michigan in 1856. He had married Janet Cook in 1829.
One grandson, Alexander (1857-1938), married Emma Spears in 1882.
Line is traced back to additional generations in Scotland. Other related lines are also given
, including one in New York.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Includes Cook, McDonald, McGill, and related families.

Subjects Stewart
Cook
McDonald
McGill

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ameset.asp?

I sure hope this helps you

cheers
Sheila
Sheila Stewart
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy