McKinven - Love Family

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McKinven - Love Family

Postby Joy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:31 pm

I am searching the McKinven family from Tarbert and Kilberry who emigrated to Elgin County, Ontario Canada in the early 1800's. The family name was changed to Love in 1848. One document that I have suggested that it was an English translation of McKinven. Alexander McKinven emigrated about 1819-1821, most of his brother Neil's family (my line) by 1848. I understand that there is a family cemetery or burial site near Tarbert which I hope to visit in a few years. I would appreciate any information to help in this search. Thank you.
Joy
Joy
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McKinven - Love Family

Postby Mack » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Hello Joy,

My name is Alexander McKinven, and, I hail from Campbeltown, just 36 miles south of Tarbert. There are many McKinven families in Campbeltown, most of whom are cousins to one another. The name Love was also a popular surname in Campbeltown, that is, until approixmately a decade ago when the last of that name passed away. Love is the anglecised version of McKinven and is historically synonymous with the title 'Son of the Dean'.

This is where my story gets interesting. I had the occasion to work in Dunoon, Argyll, some years ago, and during the course of my work I encountered another person who shared both my christian and surname. In conversation I joked with the person about being lumbered with the name Alexander McKinven.

I then asked this gentleman where he originally came from -- ironically, the answer was Kilberry!

I don't know whither this gent or his family will still be in Dunoon, as this was a number of years ago. However, I remember he was a market gardener. In fact, I almost positive that his business premises was called Dunclutha Market Garden, Kirn Brae, Kirn, Dunoon, Argyll.

Hopefully, this will be of use to you in your quest.

I will try and trace the name in the local telephone directory.

Watch this space.

Alex
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby JOEMAC » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 am

Hello Mack,
My name is Joe McMillan, i was born in Dumbarton and emigrated to Australia in 1968.
My great grandfather was born in Campbeltown his name was John McMillan and his son also named John was my grandfather,he was born in Campbeltown in 1849/50.
One of my grandfathers` sisters., Mary McMillan [my great aunt] married Lawrence McKinven in Killean & Kilchenzie in 1830.
I have been trying to trace descendants of these two people for a few years now.
I have located an Alexander McKinven [my 3rd. cousin once removed] born 9 July 1944 at 22,Shore St.,Campbeltown could this possibly be you.
If so i would love to get in touch with you.It is very difficult to find information on Scottish families here in Australia.
If this is not you do you know of this person or anyone related to him.
Hope you can assist.
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mack » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 am

Hello Joe,

Nice to meet you - well if only indirectly.

Yes, I am one and the same Alexander McKinven born at 22 Shore Street Campbeltown on 9th July 1944.

I was aware of a Lawrence McKinven in the family - a brother of my grandfather James ( 'the Pin'). Lawrence was born Queens Street Campbeltown on 02.08.1874. Their parents (my great-granparents - are Donald McKinven fisher and Janet Sharp. Given your earlier information, the 'original' Lawrence and Donald were probably brothers.

Mack.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mack » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Hello Joe,

Searching through some papers that a good friend gave me, and, it seems that Lawrence and Mary McMillan were indeed my great - great- grandparents. Mary McMillan was a widow by 1870.

Donald - my great-grandfather - and Lawrence were of course sons of that union. As you have already established!

Unfortunately, I cannot get back any further on the paternal line, as my great-great-grandfather Lawrence's baptism is not regestered.

Have you done some research on the McMillan line?

Speak soon.

Mack.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:32 am

Hello again Mack,
Great to hear from you.It looks like you are my 3rd. cousin once removed as you are a descendant of my great aunt Mary McMillan and her husband Laurance McKinven.
Your line is as follows:-

three times great grandparents-Andrew McKinven & Catherine McGill [nothing else known]
two times great Grandparents-Laurence/Lawrence McKinven b.1803 Killean & Kilchenzie & Mary McMillan born1802 Killean & Kilchenzie.
great grandparents-Donald McKinven b,1838 Campbeltown & Janet Sharp born 1836 in Campbeltown.
Grandparents-James Sharp McKinven born 15 June 1870 in Campbeltown & Jane Whiteford born 13 Sept. 1870 in Campbeltown
Parents- Bernard John McKinven born 21 March 1913 in Campbeltown & Janet McIvor [formerly Martin] born about 1913 ? where
You -Alexander James McKinven born 9 May 1944 in Campbeltown,married to Euphemia Robertson Gray born about 1946 ?where
Your Children-Barry Archibald McKinven born 12 Sept. 1968 in Campbeltown Married ?
Karen McKinven born 30 May 1973 in Campbeltown married David James Fraser 1999 in Barrhead
Your grandchild[ren]? Iona Elizabeth Fraser born 16 Aug.2004 inWishaw.
As you can see i have traced quite a lot in my McKinven line.
There are still a lot of blank spots to be filled in so if you can assist i would be very grateful.If there is anything i can assist you with please let me know.
I have done an extensive search into my McMillan line back to the 1700`s in and around Kintyre and eventually all over the world.
If you would like to contact me off forum my e-mail address is joemac@internode.on.net
Hope to hear from you again.
Cheerio the noo,
Your "cousin" Joe.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Joy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Dear Mack,
Thank you for your repy. It's amazing that you have the same name and then met someone else with the same name as well. I believe the family that I am tracing came from a farm called Ceann-na-craig or Head of the Rock and lived there for over three hundred years. Would parish records be on line for births, marriages, deaths?

Tell Joe that my Great x2 Grandmother was Catherine McMillan from the same area. She was married to Neil McKinven. They had 13 children. She had one sister, Nancy who married Dugald McFarlane and they came to Canada. Two other sisters, Mary and Elizabeth went to Australia or New Zealand. Her brothers, Donald and Archie also came to Canada around 1872.
Joy
Joy
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JOEMAC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:31 am

Hello Joy,
I`m sorry but i do not have a Catherine McMillan or a Neil McKinven in my lines from the time frame you are researching.They were probably from another McMillan and McKinven line.
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Willianways » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:16 pm

Hello Joy,
I have just joined the forum and my priority was to try to help you with your McKinven/Love family query. I know a little bit about them because about 30 years ago I stumbled upon them while doing my own McKinven research. They are probably related to my line but perhaps distantly.

The graveyard that you will want to visit is Gartnagrenach near Skipness. Alexander McKinven is buried there whose family emigrated and became Loves. There is a website at http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/gartnagrenach.htm which lists stones recorded in that graveyard. If you contact James Adam who recorded the inscriptions he will be able to email you a photo of the stone.

If you live in Ontario, the other place you will want to visit is the old Love Homestead which is on Talbot Street on the corner of the Aldborough/Dunwich town line. The graveyard to the early Love settlers is near there.

I also have a programme of a reunion picnic held there on 5th September 1921 attended by descendants of the family and an article published in an Ontario genealogical magazine in the 1970's called "The Last of the McKinvens" which relates to how this branch changed the family name to Love. I can email these to you if you wish. Just say the word and I will give you contact details.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes from sunny Norfolk in England.
Willianways
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jane belair » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:21 am

Hi all - I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on a Katie McKinven who lived in Campbeltown in 1964 or 1965. She was 71 at the time and married, she had previously lived on a farm with her husband but they had moved into town about 7 yrs previously. My grandmother visited with Katie on a trip to Scotland in 1965. Grandma was searching for her cousins Jessie and Sandy. She met Jessie and I believe that Jessie was a widow and was living with Katie and her husband. My grandmother was born Agnes Stewart, daughter of Peter Clark Stewart, whose parents were John Stewart and Agnes Clark.Thanks inadvance Jane Belair
jane belair
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby clairele » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:39 am

Hello, I have just joined this forum to see if there is any information I can share with anyone related to the McKinvens (later Love family). I am a descendent from Alexander McKinven, who lived in Kintyre, Scotland on the family farm which was owned by the family for 300 years preceeding him. I'm not aware of who his father or mother was, or any before him. He married a lady, surname Cook, and they had 4 children - Alexander, Neil, Sarah and another daughter. This Alexander (later Alexander Love) emigrated to Ontario, Canada in 1821. There are two more Alexander Loves that come after him, followed by Arthur, who was father to my grandmother. This generation is where the Love family name sadly dies, and I am doing my best to work backwards as the family historian. I am the first Love from this line to be born in Australia.

I have received a lot of information on the Canadian family - related by blood or marriage to Alexander McKinven - the Blues, McIntyres, McIntosh, Campbells, McCallums. All come from Scotland around the time of 1819 - 1845. Does anyone know what was happening at this time in Scotland for them all to leave? Was this something to do with the Clearances? I'd be interested to know of anyone that has information relating to my family!
clairele
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Willianways » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:36 pm

Hello Claire,
Firstly my apologies for being so long in responding to a private message you sent via the list. I've been away a lot and now when I try to access your message it won't appear on the screen. I vaguely remember you wanted info on the Love Family reunion. If you would like to contact me privately you can visit my website at willianways.com and click on the link to email me. Just put a title on about McKinven and my machine won't bin you in the spam folder. :)

Best wishes,
Fiona
Willianways
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: McKinven - Love / McMillan

Postby Jenmac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 am

I also have a McKinven (Love)/ McMillan connection and am hoping someone else is researching this line. Catherine McMillan was born in Skipness, Argyll in 1784 to Peter McMillan and Christina Taylor. She married a Neil Love in Scotland and had the following known chn:
John 1801-1884
Peter 1812-1889
Mary ? died 1911? -married her first cousin Alexander Love?
Alexander ? - married his first cousin Jane Love?
William b.1828? - married Mary McGregor?
After Neil Love died (around 1840) his wife Catherine Love (McMillan) emigrated to Elgin County, Ontario, Canada in 1848 to join her family (John, Peter and Alexander were already in Elgin). I have no information on the voyage.
Catherine McMillan was the sister of my gg grandfather Archibald, who emigrated to Australia with another brother, John. I am interested in establishing what happened to each of the McMillan siblings: Catherine (Kathren), Marrion, Archibald, John, Jennet, Flora, Christian (Christina) and Mary.
Regards,
Jenmac
Jenmac
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Joy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Dear Jenmac,
Catheran McMillan was my 2x great grandmother. After her husband died, she came to St. Thomas, Ontario Canada in 1848 with her daughter Mary and son (my great grandfather) William. Another son, Alex was already in St. Thomas. How can we get in touch so we can share more information? I know other McKivnen's went to Australia as well and probably settled near the other McMillans.
Joy
Joy
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby gizmo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Do any of the Canadian McKinvens have any connection to either Private Angus Keith McKinven or Trooper Angus McKinven who both died in 1916 during WW1.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy