tracing any relatives in Campbeltown - STEWART

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

tracing any relatives in Campbeltown - STEWART

Postby cgms310 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:23 am

I am the third son of Captain Ian Graham MacLeod-Stuart (Black Watch) B 1911. D 1970, who was the only son of Captain, Rev. Archibald Graham Stuart (Black Watch, Presbyterian Minister, Ardler, Perthshire and Govan, Glasgow) B 1866. D 1932. "Archie" was one of several sons born to John Kelly Stewart/Stuart.

From family records our origins emanate from Campbeltown, Scotland and are connected I believe to the Kintyre "Park" Stewarts.

Our original family home is now the property of Paul McCartney (ex Beatle) called "High Park”, which I am told overlooks the Mull of Kintyre.

John Kelly Stewart/Stuart owned a large screw and bolt manufacturing company in Glasgow on the River Clyde, during the "hey day" of ship building and many of his sons seem to have moved around the world from that vantage point.

The AUSTRALIAN and possible IRISH CONNECTION.

My brother John Graham MacLeod-Stuart has letters from some of our family in Australia dating back to the late 1800's who were among the first to settle there. I believe their ancestors may still be living there today, but we have never been able to communicate or meet.

There is also a connection with our family and that of the Kelly family, namely Hector Kelly (a wheelwright of Campbeltown), whose daughter, Catherine Kelly of Campbeltown (1801-1894) married Alexander Stewart b.1786. It was Alexander who moved his family to Glasgow.

Any information that would lead me to the original Campbeltown family or information about them, would be highly appreciated.

With my grateful thanks in advance,

Charles.
Last edited by cgms310 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: tracing any relatives in Campbeltown - STEWART

Postby cgms310 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:11 pm

As a follow up to my prior message, It was suggested by Doug McMillan that I make contact with Alistair and Agnes Stewart who own a local butcher shop in Campbeltown.

If you know Alistair or Agnes, please ask them to contact me. We may, or may not be related, but there is a chance they could know something about my branch of Stewart's.

Many thanks,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi cgms310! I just read your first message on my mums computer and shouted her through to enquire if we were related before I realised from your next message that someone had already suggested contacting her and my dad - Agnes and Allister! We are no relation and Mum can't think of any Stewarts from your info who will be related. She has however suggested that you contact Angus Martin local historian who should be able, if anyone can, to help! If you want to PM me your details I can pass them on to Angus! Good luck from a fellow Stewart :)
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby cgms310 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Hello ags!

I have posted a few items concerning the Stewarts of Campbeltown which would give you additional insight into the tree, and I will send you a copy of my most recent tree via a pm and perhaps something in there will "ring a bell" for Agnes and Allister!

My brother John has also mentioned a Mr. Angus Martin. Was he the author of a book concerning Campbeltown fishermen or "net fishermen" as they are often referred to?

Either way, his contact information would be very helpful indeed and I really appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

With best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:58 pm

UPDATE

I have just sent a PM to AGS about a recent discovery.

I was speaking with another newly found cousin Donald in Lanark, Scotland yesterday (a connection from Martin Campbell Stewart of Australia, who is this gentleman’s great nephew) when he advised me that I have another cousin living in the same village as I do, here in Ontario!!!!!!

So I checked the local telephone directory and BINGO, he is about one mile from my front door!

I have only lived here in Canada for 5 years, but Alexander (Alister) has been over from Campbeltown for 51 years! He will be going back home to Campbeltown next April to visit his sister who still lives there.

Alex’s g.g. grandfather Andrew Stewart was my g.g.g. grandfather Archibald Stewarts’ brother.

Alex and I spoke via telephone and will be getting together next week to swap family tree information and photographs!

Just in case some of your may know these people, their family tree shows them living at the following locations: Peninver, Drumlembie, Ballergie, Tayinloan, Auchaleek, Torchoileen, Bridgend, Coniglen Cottage, High Gartloskan and High and Low Park (Skeroblin).

The vast number of Stewart children from this branch of the family married into the following 28 families: Buie, McConachy, McMath, McLean, McWilliam, Andrew, McMillan, McDonald, McDougall, Cook, Smith, Blair, McGougan, Sinclair, McKillop, Reid, McTavish, Kirkwood, Blue, McCallum, Nicolson, Clark, McKinnon, Brownlie, Mitchell, Livingstone, McKay and Kean

Once again, to my fellow researchers, I can say without reservation:

NEVER give up the search!

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:59 pm

cgms310 wrote:I was speaking with another newly found cousin Donald in Lanark, Scotland yesterday (a connection from Martin Campbell Stewart of Australia, who is this gentleman’s great nephew) when he advised me that I have another cousin living in the same village as I do, here in Ontario!!!!!!

So I checked the local telephone directory and BINGO, he is about one mile from my front door!

I have only lived here in Canada for 5 years, but Alexander (Alister) has been over from Campbeltown for 51 years! He will be going back home to Campbeltown next April to visit his sister who still lives there.

Alex’s g.g. grandfather Andrew Stewart was my g.g.g. grandfather Archibald Stewarts’ brother.

Alex and I spoke via telephone and will be getting together next week to swap family tree information and photographs!

I find these stories totally amazing. Thanks for sharing these with us.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JOEMAC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:50 am

Hi Charles,
My Great Grandfather John McMillan from Campbeltown married a Mary Stewart in 1836 in Glasgow.
Any connection?
I also have Blue`s in my family tree i am descended from Dugald Blue and Sarah McKinnon both born in Killean & Kilchenzie,Argyll. They migrated to Canada in about 1853 and settled in Elderslie county, Ontario.
Is there any connection with your family.
Hope to hear from you.
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:42 am

Hi Joe,

I spoke with Alexander today and we are planning to meet this coming Friday.

Once I have all his details, I will be able to give you a more informative response.

With best regards,

Charles.

p.s. Please send me your direct e-mail address in a PM so I can send you the Stewart family charts, which I know will be of great use to you in your research.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Good afternoon Joe,

You may be pleased to know that we are indeed related by marriage.

If you have a tree, could you please send it to me via my direct e-mail :-

replycs@yahoo.ca

With best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby JOEMAC » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:20 am

G,Day Charles,
Great to hear that we are related through marriage.Which line would this be, is it the McMillan or Blue line
Let me know and please if you have a tree showing where we are related please send it to me.[you have my e-mail address]
Hoping to hear from you soon,
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Hello Joe,

From what I have, the Blue family line is the one from which your family appears to descend.

Margaret Stewart married a Blue in Drumlemble Farm, and then their daughter Janet Blue married a McMillan.
There is also a significant amount of information concerning the Stewarts who moved to Skipton in Australia. Are you familiar with the area? I have a ** Donald Stewart's b.1832 a son of Donald Stewart and Janet Drain (see below) who died in 1904 in Yass, New South Wales. It is my opinion that the Stewarts went to Australia based on relatives or close family friends inviting them to do so. Probably the McMillan’s!

Issue of: Donald Stewart and Janet Drain:

Mary b. 20 Sep 1825
Archibald b. 29 Dec 1826
John b. 22 Feb 1829
Janet b. 16 Nov 1830
Donald b. 15 Oct 1832
Alexander b. 06 Oct 1835
Andrew b. 26 Dec 1837

Another Stewart family (Donald’s younger sister and her husband) who left Kintyre for Australia in 1854 are:

Issue of: Margaret Stewart and William Hall:

Martha b. 23 Jun 1824
Margaret b. 25 Aug 1826
Robert b. 15 Feb 1829
Jean b. 26 Apr 1831
Elizabeth b. 01 Oct 1835
Archibald b. 23 Oct 1837

** Donald returned to Kintyre to marry Martha Andrew in 1869, he then took his bride back to Australia. They had two daughters: Martha Andrew Stewart and May Stewart.

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:42 am

Hello again Charles,
Thank`s for the info on the Blue`s who i think are connected to me .
I have no other information on the Stewart connection except for the Mary Stewart who was the first wife of my Great Grandfather John McMillan,who was born in Campbeltown and married in Gorbals Glasgow before settling back in Campbeltown where their children were born. He later went on to marry Girzel/Grace Blue in Campbeltown and it is her Parents and siblings who emigrated to Canada.
I have a short family tree on my Blue ancestors who went to Canada in the 1850`s and i will send it to you.
I know that some of my McMillan ancestors came to Australia but i have been unable to trace any of them, perhaps the information you have on the Australian connections would throw some light on this so if you could send me what you have that you think would be relevant to my research i would be very grateful.
I am not too familiar with the areas in Australia that you mentioned but i do know of them.It would be great if some of the descendants of my McMillan ancestors actually settled there and still have members in those areas.
Hope to hear back from you.
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Morning Joe!

I received all your e-mails, many thanks!

As I mentioned, there is a letter which connects some of the information you sent me to the village of Lloyd, in the township of King, which the Blue family seemed to have stopped in for a while before moving on.

I have no doubt that they met with the many Kintyre families who immigrated to the village including my g.g. uncle Hector Kelly.

I posted the letter on the Kintyre Forum a while back and here is the link to take you back to it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6095

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby arampaltd » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Hello fellow searchers of Stewarts from Campbeltown

I am tracing my direct maternal line and have reached a Mary Stewart who married a James McMillan there in 1846. Mary's father was called Andrew. The IGI suggests three possibilities for Mary's birth c1820 and thus her father Andrew would have been born c1790. Have any of you come across these people before, particularly perhaps you Charles and Joe? I have seen, but not accessed yet, the Stewarts of Campbeltown site and have sent a contact message there. My guess is that it is you Charles who run this site? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Tim
UK
arampaltd
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Hello Tim!

Here is what I have for Mary Stewart's that are close to your research dates.

The Stewart children shown below are those of Andrew Stewart (no dates) and (C)Katherine McWilliam (1770-1855)

1. Andrew Stewart (1791-1855) married Ann McWilliam (1793-1858) and had a daughter Mary b. 1825 at Peninver.
2. Catherine Stewart (1793-1852) married Archibald Bowie (Buie) and had a daughter: Mary b. 1836 at Drumlemble.
3. Barbara Stewart (1796-1870) married Dugald McConarchy and had a daughter: Mary b. 1821 at Ballergie.
4. John Stewart (1807-1874) married Mary Smith and had a daughter: Mary b. 1836 d. 1874 aged 38 at Kilmory.

All other Mary's born within your time frame died in infancy.

My best guess is the first Mary born in Peninver to Andrew and Ann on August 4th, 1825 is your link. I have no information on her marriage but at age 21 (1846), she would be a perfect candidate. Naturally, I would be very interested to know if indeed this is a match.

You guessed correctly Tim and I received your request for access to the site, but I had no idea who you were, so I held it and planned to contact you directly, but now I can process your request tonight when I get home.

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy