The Taylor Family

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

The Taylor Family

Postby Rosemary Scott » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:39 pm

:?: Any one out there remember the Taylor family they used to live up The Walk in the top flat.The Fathers name was Archie I think he used to work in the Gas showroom in the Longrow and thats going back a few years.His wife was Mary formerly McGowan.I can't remember all the wee ones names they had but Chrissie Taylor the eldest girl was about my age and we used to play together along with my other cousin Rena Scott who lived in the prefabs.Would be nice to hear if anyone knew of the family
Rosemary Scott
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby History » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Rosemary

Kenny did work in the Gas showroom and he was also the church officer for the Longrow Church now the Lorne and Lowland. Mary worked in the Social Work office at the head of the peir. The showroom was turned into the Chocolate Box, a sweet shop but is now part of McMillan the furnishers shop.

I'll PM you the rest of what I know regarding the family.

H. M.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: The Taylor Family

Postby harborough » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:13 am

Hi Rosemary,
I'm your cousin Alexander, Rena's brother. I've just been speaking to Rena who tells me you are ocassionally in touch, so I don't know how much you are up to date with family events and history.
One piece of recent bad news. Just four weeks ago Isabel lost her husband Ken. I'll let you know more if you get back in touch
I saw your enquiry on the forum while doing a general sweep for anyone checking ancestry. I am tracing the Scott/Johnston(e)/McGowan/Cuthbertson lines back with some interesting results--seems most of the male ancestors were immigrants to the town around the time of the whisky boom as either stonemasons or maltsmen /stillmen--surprisingly I have found only one connection to the fishing industry. If you know anything I'd be pleased to hear--but please get in touch anyway
Alex
harborough
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Rosemary Scott » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi Alex great to hear from you after all these years.I am on the forum very often having a look around.I found Chrissie Taylor's younger sister on here, Isabel Scott, she lives in Lochgilphead.I was home in Campbeltown last November my eldest son took me as a birthday treat.We stayed in Craigard House Hotel.First time I had managed to go home in 45years!! I still love it up there.Was surprised the Coop-Building has gone and the tenament buildings across the road are no more (thats where we played knock down ginger and tied the door handles to each other).There is only Aunt Maisie (Unle Tommy's wife)left in Campbeltown now, we called in to see her.I have been trying to trace Granny & Grandad Scott's ancestors to see where they came from but with no luck so far.Mind you I am still only a learner on the computer but manage quite a lot of things now.I don't have any family history other than what you probably know I would love to have a family tree.So sorry to hear about Ken give Isabel my condolences please.You can e-mail me any time on rosanskin@msn.com,I am also on Windows Live Messenger usually having a chat to the granchildren.Lovely to hear from you after all these years you were just a wee boy in short trousers the last time I saw you!!!! Keep in touch

Regards
Rosemary
Rosemary Scott
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby iain62 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi Rosemary, HM and Alexander
My mother was Barbara McGowan, sister of Mary who married Kenny Taylor. Barbara married William Taylor (not related to Kenny), and we spent several holidays in Campbeltown with Kenny, Mary and their family. I also see Rena, Alex's sister, occassionally when she in my area.
I have been researching the McGowan family tree and have a fair amount of information that I am happy to share (and also some questions if anyone else is looking into that family tree).
Regards
Iain
iain62
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy