Researching Jean McLEAN b June 1806 & Isabell McISAAC b

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Researching Jean McLEAN b June 1806 & Isabell McISAAC b

Postby Ann » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:35 am

Researching Jean McLEAN b 3 June 1806 Campbeltown
and Isabel McISAAC(Williamson) b 1775 Campbeltown

Hi again from New Zealand
Posted a request to this forum only 2 days ago and have had a reply, great news but would now like to trace Jean McLean born Campbelltown 3 June 1806 she married my GGGrandfather Archibald Stewart MacPhail on 4 Jul 1935 in Campbeltown, they had the following children, John b 1836, Jean b 1838, Donald b 1840, Archibald b Dec 1841 (my GGGrandfather), Charles b 1843, Charlotte Brodie b 1845 and James b 1847.
Would also love to trace my GGGGrandmother Isabell McIsaac/Williamson b 1775 in Campbeltown and married John MacPhail in 1801 in Campbeltown.
Any further help that this forum can bring will be grateful.
Cheers from beautiful New Zealand.
ANN THOMAS
Researching McPhail family from Campbelltown
Cheers. Ann from New Zealand
Ann
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Researching Jean McLEAN b June 1806 & Isabell McISAAC b

Postby cgms310 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:41 pm

Hello Ann,

While I do not think we are directly related, there are a number of similarities between our family trees, and I think that perhaps we may be distant cousins via an earlier branch of the McLean family of Campbeltown.

Archibald Stewart b. Nov 4th 1751 shown in the Campbeltown records as a seaman, married twice.

His first wife was a Flory McNeilage of Campbeltown (1755-1783) who died in childbirth with their only daughter Mary Stewart b. 22 April 1783. Mary never married. She was a domestic servant and lived in Campbeltown all her life. Mary died on July 15th 1861in Back Street, Campbeltown of old age. She was almost 78, which was quite something back in those days! It also says a lot about remaining single!!!!!! :lol:

His second wife was Mary McLean of Campbeltown b. 1762
They had 4 sons: Andrew b. November 3rd, 1784. Alexander b. May 30th, 1786. Donald Stewart b. March 30th, 1789 and John b, 1797 (I have been unable to find additional records for him). The 1841 census was the first time an approximate date could be placed on his birth.

One or more of these children moved to New Zealand to sheep farm, however the only information I have is verbal, passed down by my late father to me as a child. It could be that they were the first to leave Campbeltown and that your family members followed them on recommendation, which was often the case back then.

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Researching Jean McLEAN b June 1806 & Isabell McISAAC b

Postby Ann » Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 am

Thanks for your contact - since posting my query onto this forum I have found that Jean McLean was in fact Jean McPhail who married Donald McPhail in 1835, so looks like we may not be related.
However I would love to discover where the second name for Archibald and Charles of Stewart came from and also
Charlotte Brodie, the name of Brodie must come from somewhere in the family surely also the Stewart name.
Any help on this would be appreciated. Also Charles should you discover anything about my family I would be thrilled to hear from you again.
Many thanks for your contact
Ann - New Zealand
Researching McPhail family from Campbelltown
Cheers. Ann from New Zealand
Ann
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy