Burial registers

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Burial registers

Postby calmac » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Does anyone know the whereabouts of burial registers for Kilkerran old cemetery, and how far back they go, please?
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Burial registers

Postby Orana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi,
Sorry I cannot help with your request for the burial registers.
However, I have been trying to contact someone in your forum regarding the sword of Capt John Fleming.
I read an article awhile back about someone looking for it. I am related to Capt John Fleming and live in Australia.
Is there any chance you might be able to help or provide a contact?
Many thanks,
Regards,

Ross Eddington
rossieddington@gmail.com
Last edited by Orana on Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orana
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby lindaf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:56 pm

I haven't discovered any actual burial registers for Kilkerran Old Cemetery while searching my family. But have you come across the gravestone inscription records? Campbeltown library and the on site Cemetery Office have an excellent booklet listing the details of these. Some one has worked so hard in the past to collate these for which I have been exceedingly grateful! Unfortunately there is a period of time around the late 1860's where these records have apparently gone missing which is very disappointing. My great great Grandmother Janet Clark [wife of Dugald Clark and then living in Liverpool] died in Campbeltown in April 1866 while visiting her parents Catherine [McConnachy] and Hector McNaughton. She would have been buried in Campbeltown. Catherine also died a few weeks later and Hector some three years later. Yet a headstone record is no where to be found in either the old or new graveyard and I am absolutely certain there would have been a headstone.
Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Do you have a copy of the booklet, or would I need to go to Campbeltown to have a look?

It's likely that most of the family are bured there. Earliest burials around 1850, but probably no headstones until much later.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lindaf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Sorry, I don't have a copy. Don't know if they can be purchased, I have a feeling they can't.
You could phone Campbeltown Library and ask. I live in West Sussex, so its quite a journey for me! We often come to Scotland in June with our tent for a month, so over a few years now, we have camped in Kintyre for a week and Hunted the Ancestors with great success. Everyone we meet is so helpful.
Do you use Familysearch? Its the Church of Latter Day Saints website. Free to use once you've signed up. They have an unbelievable number of Scottish records and you might get lucky. They now link into FindaGrave website. Again free to use and they have a lot of photos of head stones which you can click onto to view.
Also on the Kintyre Forum, there are fantastic lists of all the readable headstones posted by Ralston for all the grave yards.

What I find so interesting about the Scottish records is that once married, a woman retained her maiden name on records. So headstones will give this. Headstones go a lot further back than the 1850's with info. My Alexander McConnachy buried his wife in Kilkivan Cemetery in 1815 using her maiden name Stevenson and stating he was a Farmer at Ballachnahully. I have uncovered a huge amount of unexpected fascinating info from that.
Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Now that is interesting.

We have a Flora, daughter of Archibald McConachy of Killean, shoemaker who married Charles McLean a fisherman from Ireland. They both died in the poorhouse. I have posted elsewhere on the forum about them.

The earliest family headstone I have found is this one for their son Charles and his wife RoseAnn Stewart

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178 ... es-mclean#

There is discussion about this family on Antrim history forum.

I have used family search a bit, and also ancestry at the library, but always there are more questions than answers.

Sounds like this booklet might be helpful.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lindaf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 pm

As you say Calmac, interesting about the McConachy family. Have you searched that line? I wonder if we are vaguely connected!
As far as I have discovered, there weren't a vast number of McConachy families at that time in Kintyre. Some were in the north east at Skipness. Others were in Killean and Kilkenzie, a few in Kilkivin. I find my Alexander McConachy b. 1772 linked with Lossit Mill near Saltpans between 1798 and 1813. I've spent a lot of time trying to find about the history of this Mill and that led me to explore for any connection with Tangy Mill in Killean and Kilkenzie. Tangy Mill is now owned and restored by the Landmark Trust with a fair bit of info if you dig around the various web sites and I did actually find a past connection with the McConachy name. As these parishes are close together, perhaps my Alexander line with a milling knowledge had moved this little bit further south across the Machrihanish bay.
Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 am

Archibald McConachy is as far back as I have managed to get with this line.

1841 census Tayachroman, Killean

Archibald 50 shoemaker
Mone 50 (more likely More, short for Marion)

Janet 20
Mary 15
Betty 15
John 12
Maysie 11
Archibald 10
Grace 6

Flora age 15 is a female servant at Tayinloan, Killean the home of Robert McInven farmer.

In a later census though married to Charles McLean she is Flora Duncan. I have read that Duncan is an older form of McConachy. Have you come across this?

Also, More or Mone had a sister called Grace, age 33 in 1871 census
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 am

As you mentioned family search there is a tree here which you might be able to find a connection with at some stage

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedig ... e/LHGG-8CB
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:31 pm

The librarian very kindly looked up some names for me today, but sadly, none of them were listed, so it is all still a mystery.
A good suggestion; thank you.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lindaf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Sorry to hear you had no success with this route. I know how frustrating it is when you hit a brick wall. It does seem you have little to go on.
Campbeltown library has a really good history section with an amazing amount of information. Plus the microfiche records on old births, marriages and deaths. I have spent many hours trawling the microfiche and have obtained much more information from them than is available on the Family Search records. That has enabled me to explore "sideways" on my family branches and I have been unexpectedly successful on many lines.
But it does mean going to Kintyre! It takes me 3 days travel by car and ferry to get there however the whole beautiful peninsular is worth the effort.
Are you in the U.K.
Last edited by lindaf on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:33 am

Yes, North of England, so it is possible and would be worth a visit.

Campbeltown is an easy place to get to by boat, but not by road. I have heard that there was once a daily sailing to Glasgow.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 pm

This headstone has both Archibald and Alexander McConacchy, but is very difficult to read. If anyone can read it, please post a transcription.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/114 ... cconnachie

Archibald McConacchy is unfortunately a very common name.

Mine was 50 in 1841, but ages were rounded, so even in Killean there are 2 possibilities with others in Campbeltown, and no doubt elsewhere.

I would have thought people were more likely to move into Campbeltown than to Killean though.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Kintyre Genealogy