Information details on marriage certificate 1857

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Information details on marriage certificate 1857

Postby lindaf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:10 pm

I would be very grateful if anyone knows what specific details are given on a marriage certificate dated 1857.
I really would like to know if my Gt Gt Grandfather Dugald Clark b. 1827 was a widower or a batchelor when he married my Gt Gt Grandmother Janet McNaughton in Campbeltown on 30th November 1857. I don't want to send off and pay for a certificate if the married status is generally not given, for that is the only bit of info I still need!
On 9th July 1846, Dugald's baby Alexander Clark was born to Isabella McMillan in Campbeltown. Dugald, at that time was age 19 and a merchant seaman. Alexander's baptism didn't take place til 17th Sep 1846. But I have not found any marriage between Dugald and Isabella. On the 1851 census, Alexander was being raised by his grandmother Catherine Clark in Main Street. I haven't been able to identify who Isabella was from the few of that name in Campbeltown, though I think she may have been underage. I suspect they didn't marry.
I have done a great deal of successful research into my Clark family in Campbeltown. Incredibly I discovered that Alexander, who became a ship's carpenter in Glasgow, emigrated to Brisbane in his 60's with almost all his grown up children.
One had the name unusual name Dugald Durward Clark and amazingly a Google search came up with a 2005 Cremation plaque link. The Crematorium kindly forwarded my e-mail to the family and it is indeed my Clark family line. I copied all my research to them. I traced Alexander's burial in Brisbane and the details given confirmed that his mother was Isabella McMillan, father Dugald Clark. It is so satisfying to achieve!
Do hope someone knows about the marriage status info. Thanks!
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Information details on marriage certificate 1857

Postby CaliGal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Yes, marriage records have a place for "Condition, (whether Bachelor or Widower, Spinster or Widow)".
I haven't spotted a record for 1857 in my files, but I looked at some from 1856 and 1858, the form didn't change, and most of the records I have do have a bachelor/spinster entry.
Purchasing the image from scotlandspeople is quick and not too expensive. I like to have all the documents on people... just to be sure there's consistency on the information.

Dena
CaliGal
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby lindaf » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Thank you Dena
That is very helpful to know.
Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lindaf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Seeing the information on the marriage certificate turned out to be easier than I had expected! I spent a week on holiday in Kintyre in June camping at Carradale. I was pointed in the right direction to the Burnett Building in Campbeltown and was kindly shown the record on the computer screen. The only new detail I needed was whether my Gt Gt Grandfather had been a batchelor or a widower at the time of his marriage. He was in fact a batchelor.
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Kintyre Genealogy