Isabella McSporran

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Isabella McSporran

Postby JOEMAC » Sun May 15, 2016 6:30 am

Isabella McSporran was born on 4th. June 1927 at Dalaruan Street,Campbeltown.
Her parents were Morris McSporran [coal miner ] and Elizabeth McPhee
I have been unable to locate a marriage or a death for Isabella.
Also the same for her sister Margaret McSporran born 14th. April 1930 at Lady Mary Row, Campbeltown
Can anyone help please.
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Isabella McSporran

Postby domogaem » Tue May 17, 2016 12:51 am

Hi Joe,
They are related to me. Isabella (Isa) and Margaret (Peggy) are my aunts. They immigrated to New Zealand in 1955 and both of them married out there. Isa died in 1995; don't know the exact date but her funeral service was held on January 24, 1995. I think Isa was born in 1925, not 1927. Peggy is still alive and lives near Wellington.
Hope this helps.

Betty
California
domogaem
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby McSparin » Fri May 20, 2016 2:07 pm

I looked at one of my favorite Scottish ancestry record sites. You may have already searched here, but I will post the info just in case.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk I hope this is your Isabella. There were 8 listed, but the birthdates were far off. Only one other from Campbeltown from 1950.

Year 1925 Isabella MacSporran F Campbeltown/Argyll
McSparin
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JOEMAC » Sun May 22, 2016 3:29 am

Hi Domogaem & McSparin,
Thank you for replying to my query on Isabella & Margaret McSporran.
They are my 3rd. cousin once removed.
I have their birth details and Margaret was born on 14 April 1930 and Isabella was born on 28 May 1925, both in Campbeltown, the children of Morris McSporran & Elizabeth McPhee.
Thank you for the info on their marriages in New Zealand, do you have the names of their husbands and any children from the marriages.
I would really appreciate any info on them at all.
I am not a subscriber to Scotland`s People so I cannot view the details.
Hope you can help with more info.
Cheers,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia [formerly from Dumbarton]
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby domogaem » Thu May 26, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi Joe,
Isabella married George Rutherford (now deceased) and they had one child, a girl, Kirsteen. Kirsteen married and lives in Australia but I haven't been able to find out any further details about her yet.
Isabella's ashes were returned to Campbeltown where she rests in Kilkerran Cemetery with her parents and older sister Mary.

Margaret married Arthur Turvey (born c.1932); they have no children. Margaret met Arthur on the ship to New Zealand. All three of them were on board the "Captain Hobson" (Voyage No. 14) which departed from Glasgow in 1955 bound for Wellington. Passenger Lists show the occupation of the sisters was that of Factory Worker and Arthur was a Labourer.

I have information about the sisters' siblings if needed.

May I ask if your connection to them is via Peter McSporran 1803-1869 and Barbara McSporran (born McMillan) 1800-1867.?
domogaem
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby JOEMAC » Fri May 27, 2016 7:30 am

Hi again Domogaem [??].
Thank`s for the further information on Isabella & Margaret, that helps to add some more twigs to the tree.Yes, my connection to the McSporran family is through the marriage in 1826 of Peter McSporran & Barbara McMillan.She was my great grand aunt, sister of my great grandfather John McMillan.I would love any info you have on the sister`s siblings although I do have some info on them, sometimes there are other items to obtain from other family members.
Do you know why they went to New Zealand,it seems they went on their own,was it some sort of New Zealand Government sponsor thing?
I did the same in coming to Australia in 1968,we were called 10 pound tourists but the men had to have some sort of trade or profession,i was a time served bricklayer and stone mason.The women did not need any special skills it was just hoped that they would marry and have families to boost the population of the country.
Anyway, Domogaem, thank you again for the info.
Hope to hear from you again soon.
Cheers,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby domogaem » Sat May 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Greetings Joe:

The other siblings are:

MARY, born 4 Oct 1921, Lady Mary Row, Campbeltown. Died 22 Nov 1992, Liberton Hospital, Edinburgh.
Buried Kilkerran Cemetery.
She married Andrew Hennessey (1917-1998) on 20 Nov 1943, Manse of Borthwick, Midlothian.
3 Children: Andrew (b. 1945) Elizabeth McSporran (b. 1947) George Bennett (1951-2007).

WILLIAM MCPHEE, born 4 June 1927, Campbeltown. Died 31 March 1995 and buried in Kilkerran Cemetery.
He married Dorothy Jean McGeachy (b.1929) on 2 April 1948 in Campbeltown. They had 6 children:
Elizabeth Mary (1948-1992) David (b.1950) Willamena (b.1953-died age 5 days) Margaret (b.1955) Dorothy (b.1959)
Morris (b.1962).

MORRIS, born in 1938 in Campbeltown. Died 4 June 2006 and is buried in Kilkerran Cemetery.
He married Flora Muir Boyd (1935-2008) in 1966 in Campbeltown.
They had no children.

Isabella and Margaret went to New Zealand as part of the Government's "Assisted Immigration Scheme". They were able
to come back and visit just a couple of times. Have you been back to visit Dumbarton since you left?
If I can be of any further help, please let me know.
Regards
Betty
domogaem
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby JOEMAC » Sun May 29, 2016 7:04 am

Hi Betty,
Great to hear from you again.
Thank you very much for the info on the other siblings of Isabella and Margaret,it is most welcome.
That was very sad about Willamena dying as an infant.
The "Assisted Immigration Scheme " was much the same as the Australian government had and which I took advantage of in 1968.I met my wife Eileen on board the migrant ship "Fairstar" en route to Australia and we were married in Adelaide,South Australia and have two children and three grandchildren.
We have been back home several times and,in fact, we are heading home this June for a wedding.We will not have much time in Scotland as the wedding is in England but we will get up to Dumbarton for a quick visit to see my last remaining sister.
So please don`t worry if you don`t hear from me after 12th. of June for a few weeks, I will get back when we return to Australia.
Can I ask what connection you have to the McSporran clan.
If there is anything I can help you with just let me know.
I have quite a few gaps in my records so do you mind if I ask you for info from time to time on various members of the family.
Hope to hear back from you.
Cheers for now,
Joe.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby domogaem » Mon May 30, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi Joe:
I am connected to the McSporran clan through my mother Mary McSporran sister of Isabella and Margaret. I am Elizabeth McSporran Hennessey and I was named after my granny Elizabeth (McPhee) McSporran.

I too, will be heading home this year. In July we leave for the Edinburgh area and will spend a week in Campbeltown visiting friends and family.

Safe travels
Betty,
California
domogaem
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby JOEMAC » Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 am

Hi again Betty,
Thank you for the information on your connection to the McSporran family.
So you live in California, were you born there or in Scotland.My daughter Linda was born in Australia in 1969 but my son William was born in Dumbarton in 1971 while we were home.
It will be great to catch up with family after being away for so long.It is a pity that we both live so far away from Scotland, we have a 22 hour flight from Australia to London but we are stopping overnight at Singapore for a rest and a good night`s sleep.
If it is ok with you I will get in touch again when i come back in August and hopefully we can share information on the McSporran family.
Bye for now,
talk to you soon,
Joe.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby JOEMAC » Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 am

Hi again Betty,
I have just had another look at the info you sent on MARY McSPORRAN,your mother.
You say she was born on 4 October 1921 yet Morris & Elizabeth were not married until April 1923.
Any thoughts on this.
Cheers,
Joe.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby domogaem » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Hello Joe,
I was born in Gorebridge, nr Edinburgh, and moved to California in 1973 after I met and married my husband in Campbeltown where I lived with my grandparents for a couple of years. The fact that they married after my mother was born came as a surprise when I discovered this just last year after obtaining their marriage info on ScotlandsPeople. Such things were not divulged back then, lol...

Please do get in touch again in August and enjoy your visit home.

Regards
Betty,
California
domogaem
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:00 am

Hi again Betty,
Yes,it must have been a bit of a surprise to find that your mother was born long before her parents married.
My mother`s parents were married on 31st. of December 1902 and my mother was born on 1st. of January 1903.It took me a wee while to click that it was the day after the marriage,the two different years made it sound ok.
It looks like we are about the same age,i was born in Dumbarton in 1946.
Anyway Betty I am so glad to have "met" you and I will certainly get in touch on my return from the UK.
Bye for now,
Joe
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Iain » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi JoeMac...

Just for your interest...
The following is from Shona’s research concerning the street/terrace.
My 1xGr Robert McArthur lived there, (a family of butchers and bakers)

Quote:
This is taken from information supplied when Dalaruan Terrace (part of Dalaruan Street) was given category B listing in 1996.

1878. 2-storey symmetrical terrace comprising 8 identical 3-bay flatted houses, (16 dwellings) in colony style, with lean-to glazed timber entrance porch at ground to front, and forestairs to upper flats at rear. Roughcast walls, with droved ashlar dressings. Cill course at ground floor, raised margins at windows and corners at outer left and right, projecting window cills. Blank gable ends.

S (DALARUAN STREET) ELEVATION: lean-to porches at centre bays comprising roughcast bases, projecting cills to timber fixed-lights above with entrance alternately to left and right of centre; porches identical except for those in penultimate bays to left and right which have 2 entrance doors; blank above at 1st floor. Single windows in flanking bays.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated, some margined windows, entrance doors and balconies to 1st floor flats accessed by concrete dogleg stairs with roughcast, coped balustrades.

8-pane timber sash and case windows to outer bay at ground and 1st floor. 8-pane fixed lights to porches, vertically-boarded timber entrance doors with 8 and 6-pane glazed uppers. Single window with modern glazing to right of porch to outer left. Grey slate roofs with profiled cast-iron gutters and cast-iron downpipes to main pitches and porches. Roughcast apex stacks, coped with circular cans. Ashlar skew copes with block skewputts.

BOUNDARY WALLS: battered random rubble walls both to street and dividing gardens, with saddleback cope and timber picket gates.

This terrace was built by the Campbeltown Building Company which was set up in 1877 to relieve a housing shortage in the town. The involvement of Robert and James Weir with the company, and similarities in the design to their terrace at 83-103 Millknowe Road, would suggest they were the designers and builders. The porches are shown in a postcard of circa 1900 as being built originally of brick, probably replaced with the present glazed timber porches when the Burgh of Campbeltown applied to "improve houses in Dalaruan Terrace in 1958".

So to try to answer your question, Dalaruan Terrace - on Dalaruan Street - was purpose built as two-storey flats in the late 1870s. The older cottages weren't modified to add an extra storey. If you look closely at the photo of the flats, you can see white boundary walls of single-storey buildings in the distance, partially obscured by trees. So I reckon the other pic is of the same street, but further along Dalaruan Street.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Further research:

If you surf http://www.onlinenewspapers.com you have access to global newspapers…, and among them is the Campbeltown Courier.

In the Courier and to my amazement, (genealogy speaking) I found an old photo of Dalaruan Street where my Grandmother and Great Grandfather Robert MacFarlane MacArthur used to live. (a butcher)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10863
But unlike the others I have, this photo gives the names of everyone on the street.

"Margaret Lindsay of John Street, Campbeltown, showed us this wonderful photograph of the front houses at Dalaruan. Margaret believes this picture to date from before the Second World War and with her neighbour has a list of the families that lived in the street.

Number 1, Smith family, 2 McCallum, 3 McKerral, 4 Houston, 5 Finn, 6 Clark, 7 McCaig, 8 West, 9 Henderson, 10 Armour, 11 a shop run by Nellie McLean, 12 Katie McLean, 13 McSporran, 14 McLean.

This shows that my Grandmother left Dalaruan to move to Longrow before the war, as she's not mentioned on the list.

This is the type of gold snippet that makes genealogy fun !  Browsing these photos I'm sure many of you will see people you know !

>>>>>>>>>>>

Lol... As you can see, your Isabella lived at N°13.

Kind Regards..., Iain.
Attachments
Scene Dalaruans Terrace.jpg
Scene Dalaruans Terrace.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 14594 times
Dalaruan 2.jpg
Dalaruan 2.jpg (128.54 KiB) Viewed 14594 times
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby JOEMAC » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:57 am

Hi Iain,
Thank you very much for the most interesting account of the various streets In Campbeltown where our respective kinfolks lived.
The photos are especially interesting as it shows the housing conditions at that time.

Maybe you or anyone reading this can help me with a problem.
I have changed my e-mail address and have notified the administration at admin@kintyreforum.com several times but I continue to receive topic notification e-mails to my old e-mail address which will cease to exist in a week or so.
I really do not know what else I can do.Any suggestions?
Cheers Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy