Mid Craigs farm or possibly Mid Glencraig farm - where is th

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Mid Craigs farm or possibly Mid Glencraig farm - where is th

Postby Perplexed1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi all

I am visiting Campbeltown from Australia from 31 July leaving on the ferry on 2 August to Ardrossan. I'm hoping to get photos of a farm family members worked in the 1850s.

I'm interested in the Wyllie/Wylie family who are on the 1851 Census at Mid Craigs farm near Campbeltown. George Wyllie/Wylie and his wife Mary Leggatt both born Ayrshire were the tenants. George was my great grandmother's brother. Her name was Jean Wyllie and she married James Whiteford from Campbeltown in July 1849. They emigrated to Australia in 1852. In a newspaper article on James and Jean's 50th wedding anniversary she said they had been married at her brother's place, Mid Glencraig.

A family member who travelled to Scotland some years ago was told the farm had become part of Paul McCartney's holdings. I do not know whether this is correct or not.

I would dearly love to find the farm and get some photos if possible on the Sunday before I travel to Ardrossan.

Any information gratefully received.

Thanks all

Anne
Perplexed1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Mid Craigs farm or possibly Mid Glencraig farm - where i

Postby skrik » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:29 am

Yes, it his.It's up a narrow track off the A83 a few miles west of the town opposite the turning forthe airport, about 50 - 1
00 yards nearer to the town. It's two semi cottages and used for his guests. He stayed there with his previous wife once.
The track continues on to another of his farms Low Ranachan and beyond.
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Perplexed1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 am

Skrik

Thanks very much for the location. I'll be driving out there in about 4 weeks to get photos. If anybody can add more information before I'm in Campbeltown, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks all

Anne
Perplexed1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby skrik » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:11 am

Hi ! It's a narrow rough track which gets even narrower after Mid Craigs, so you would be better to ask at the house opposite the airport turn if you can park there fora while (they have a lot of spare land). It will only take you 10 minutes to walk fromthere.

Kind Regards, skrik
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Perplexed1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks Skrik

Shall do as you suggested.

Anne
Perplexed1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby skrik » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Wishing you all the best with your visit to Kintyre. Please ask if you want any further info about PM's estate or anywhere else in Kintyre. Hope you get good weather !
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Mid Craigs farm - found and took photos

Postby Perplexed1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks all who provided information on how to find the farm my family were tenants on for my visit in September 2015. I had a great time and got photos of the property.

Anne
Perplexed1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy