Where is Sronabrough/Sronabrock?

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Where is Sronabrough/Sronabrock?

Postby southernlass » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:35 pm

OPR Birth Sept 1825 lists birth of John(born 12th Sept, bapt 25th Sept) son of John McCallum and Mary McQuilkan of Sronabrough. I have also seen it as Sronabrock which may be phonetic spelling. The OPR has a darkened area just on the place name. John and Mary later moved to Colfine, Skipness around 1825-1828 and remained there. Can any of you wonderful people help me?
southernlass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Where is Sronabrough/Sronabrock?

Postby Shona » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:43 am

Sron means 'nose' or 'promontory' and brough is probably from breac which means 'spotted' or 'speckled'. Therefore we are looking for a speckled promontory - plenty of them in Kintyre!

Angus Martin's book 'Kintyre Places and Place Names' doesn't mention Sronabrock. However, he does say this, which may be a clue.

'For Sron Achadh a' Chipein Bhuidhe, 885 595 is a very general location for a feature described by the OS as 'a prominent projection on grazing of Coalfin'. The OS interpretation - 'the point (nose) of the yellow tether stake field - was later questioned...'

This place is on modern maps - up the glen from Coalfin to the east of Skipness water.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Had a look at the 1747-1752 Roy maps. These show a cluster of small dwellings called 'Stron' located up Cloanaig Water on the opposite side from Glenreasdell.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby southernlass » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Thank you for your help. As they married in Skipness I didn't think they would be too far away. Wendy :D
southernlass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Shona » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:22 am

As the place mentioned in Angus Martin's book is a geographic feature, I reckon it's the cluster of houses up the glen from Claonaig.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby southernlass » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:23 am

My confusion with the name is that in viewing 1841 Census on SP for Nathaniel McCallum aged 60 and wife the page clearly states Stronabrock twice and on same pages are Clachan, Balinakill and Knockmalane so I in my ignorance of local geography and farm names has guessed it to be a farm or croft name very close to Clachan. I accept my initial inquiry was of Sronabrock which may have confused things.
southernlass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy