Catholic records in Campbeltown?

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Catholic records in Campbeltown?

Postby lindaf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am

Hello!

I have been investigating my maternal Scottish Roots from Kintyre for the past 3 years or so. I've just spent over a week in Campbeltown refining some of what I had discovered with some successes.

I've come away with a couple of questions which I hope someone might be able to answer.
I know there were the Lowland Churches and the birth and marriage records are under the Campbeltown Parish records.

But what of the Catholic Highland Churches. Did they keep their own records and these not included in the above Books?
If so, where are these records and have they been transcribed/available to be viewed?

My other question is about the LDS new site. At the start of 2012, I discovered many records which were of use to me. I printed some of them off at that time. But when I now search their new site, I find several of these records just don't come up any more. I had been hoping to expand on the family lines. Do you know if some have been excluded for any reason, maybe Scotlands people don't want the free access?

I am absolutely thrilled some of my Roots are in Kintyre! What an absolutely stunning place. My family were living in Main Street, Lorn Street and Argyll Street at various times from the 1840's onwards. My Great Gt Grandfather Dugald Clark at age 18 had a fling with a young girl, who I believe has to have been underage for they never married despite a boy Alexander Clark being born in 1847. Alexander seems to have been brought up by Dugald's mother and I believe would have gone to the new school in Lorn Street. The school is now a splendid Affiliated Youth Hostel, in which I decided to spend 2 of my nights!
Its always an unexplainable joy to have a "close contact" with a past relative and I often feel quite guilty when I think the dead are more interesting than the living!!!
Dugald married someone else 10 years later and they moved to Liverpool in 1860. She was Janet Mcnaught, daughter of Hector McNaught born at Gartvaigh Farm at Southend in 1790. Oh my, what a wonderful time I have been having delving into that history going back into the early 1500's and before. I imagine it was the "Lowland Clearances" from tenancy changes that saw the end of the McNaught's at Gartvaigh and their farming background in the early decades of the 1800's. Hector becomes a Labourer and then a Fisherman in Campbeltown.

But its the Clark side back in the early 1700 I really need to look into. The Clark name is Highland.

Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Catholic records in Campbeltown?

Postby Iain » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Linda..., welcome to The Kintyre Forum. Very interesting !
"the dead are more interesting than the living!!!" Lol...., quite true !

Unfortunately, I can't help but I'm sure there are a few on here who will reply.
Holiday period ! :wink:

..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Catholic records in Campbeltown?

Postby Shona » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Hello Linda,

Welcome to KF.

I'm afraid that Campbeltown's Catholic church records pre-1879 have been lost.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Kintyre Genealogy