John Darroch b.circa 1763 & Mary McAlpine b.circa 1765

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

John Darroch b.circa 1763 & Mary McAlpine b.circa 1765

Postby AnneneeDarroch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Hello

I am a descendant of the above and I am planning to visit Clachan w/b March 31st, staying for 3 days.

Can anyone out there help me to locate relevant sites (i.e. - cemeteries or churches) or help me with any information on my ancestors?

There is one particular mystery that I would like to solve. Duncan, who was the son of the above (b 1796) appears to have married twice - once to Mary McBride in 1826 and second to Mary McAlister in 1854. However I cannot trace Mary McBride after 1841 at which point she still seems to be living with their children, but not with Duncan, and then Duncan appears on the 1851 census with the children of his first marriage, but not with Mary Mc Bride. And then Duncan appears once again on the 1861 census but this time with Mary McAlister whom he appears to have married in 1854. At this point a young man McPhail seems to be living with them - puzzling.

[b]Can anyone help me trace what happened to Mary Mc Bride? Did she die in Clachan or did she emigrate?

Thankyou :) - great website!
AnneneeDarroch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: John Darroch b.circa 1763 & Mary McAlpine b.circa 1765

Postby Shona » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:02 am

Hello and welcome to the Kintyre Forum.

I'll start with Donald McPhail, who appears in the 1861 census with Duncan and Mary 2.

From the transcriptions that I've looked at, Donald McPhail is recorded as Duncan Darroch's stepson. He's Mary's son from a previous marriage. Mary McAlister married John McPhail on 9 January 1842 in Kilcalmonell and Kilberry parish - which includes Clachan. This marriage produced two children as far as I can see - Donald born in 1845 and Archibald born in 1848.

It's not unusual for people to marry more than once at this time. As far as I can see, Duncan and Mary McBride has children from 1825 until 1843.

While many people have heard of the Irish potato famine, the blight that caused the spuds to turn into a foul-smelling mush in the ground affected vast swathes of Northern Europe as well. Kintyre was also affected.

If you are in Clachan, there are some Darroch headstones in the old cemetery. Have you looked at the Ralston Genealogy website? It has an excellent cemetery section.

Here are all the Darroch headstones they have recorded.

http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/personform4.php

One of the headstones in the cemetery commemorates Mary Darroch who died aged 64 in 1862. There are other surnames associated with this stone - Glen and Paterson. You could order a copy of the photo from the website. This stone is Duncan Darroch's sister, as I have found this death record:

Mary McAlpine, daughter of John Darroch, tailor, dec, and Mary McAlpine, dec, died 30 July 1862, Clachan, aged 64. Wife of Duglad McAlpinem miller. Informant, Peter McAlpine, son.

On a more general point, don't just stay in Clachan! If you are in Kintyre, you need to have a car and drive south along the west coast to Campbeltown. I'd then recommend a trip along the learside to the Mull lighthouse. You should also try to fit in a drive along the east of Kintyre as well.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:51 pm

Ooh - have you seen this? The letters of Mary Darroch Currie to her cousin in Canada. Mary is a daughter of Duncan Darroch and Mary McBride. There's lots of detail in the letters.

http://darroch.org/curries_letters.html

I found the following snippets interesting:

22 Dec 1879

"My father is now 85 years of age, so like your mother he is far past the allotted span. I enclose you his portrait which was taken here about 6 years ago on the occasion of the last visit he paid me here. His two step-sons are dead so he and step-mother are living alone. He took an ill turn the summer before last and I went home to Clachan to see him but he recovered, although I am afraid he will not survive this winter. My son John goes to Clachan every summer to see him."

The father that Mary refers to is Duncan Darroch and the two step-sons are Donald McPhail and Archibald McPhail. Donald McPhail is the one who appears with Duncan and Mary in the 1861 census.

I have to say that for anyone interested in family history, Mary's letters are packed full of genealogical detail.
My brother Neil resides in Linwood, a small town 3 miles from Paisley. He is a gardener and has a large family.

"My sister Marion is a widow whose husband was a sea-faring man having been drowned some years ago. She lives in Paisley and gets employment in a thread factory and with her lives her family, two boys and a girl.

"John is working as a blacksmith in a ship building yard on the Clyde at a place called Govan about five miles from here as the crow flies. He's a confirmed bachelor and lodges with your Aunt Elizabeth.

"Across the river from Govan is a small place called Scotstown about 6 miles from here and it is there that Catherine and Archie live about a stone's throw from each other.

"Catherine (Mrs. Connell) is a widow, her husband who was a carpenter having lost his life through falling into the hold of a vessel in course of construction.

"Archie is married and has charge of a horse in a shipbuilding yard."

I have notes that Duncan Darroch and his first wife had the following children:

Mary (the letter writer), 1825-1904
Anne, b 1827
Neil, 1830-1883
Catherine, b 1832
John, b 1834
Duncan, b 1838
Marion, 1840-1912
Archibald, b 1843

She mentioned some other relatives as well:

"You referred to Nanny Glen and the poor thing was confined to bed last summer. I have not heard how she is keeping.

"Your cousin Mary McAlpine is a lonely and poor creature. She depends on the parish for her living, getting about 2/ per week, so her existence must be a miserable one."

One of the headstones in Clachan old cemetery commemorates a Helen Darroch. The headstone also has Glen names on it.

Mary, in her letter, goes on to describe the village of Clachan:

'I found lofty Dunskeig very nearly the same as the day on which you took your farewell look at it. There is no house there not even a stone to point out the spot where as a girly you frolicked about as happy as a butterfly in the summer sun. But below the site of your house is still the beautiful bay as sandy and majestic as ever and defying the ruthless hand of unthinking and selfish landlords. However the level ground between the mark of high water and the fast of Dunskeig is all enclosed for growing crops. There is now a carriage way made around the foot of the hill to the ferry, and from that again through the farm of Loup and Doctor's house. In the village are a lot of modern houses, a fine new church built at the expense of the Laird of Ballinakill and a fine new house for its ministers."

When you are in Kintyre, you will be able to visit the church mentioned above.

http://www.scotlandschurchestrust.org.u ... ish-church

Balinakill is still there, too. It's a country house hotel.

http://www.balinakillcountryhouse.com/
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Some more info from the letters of Mary Darroch.

This one was written on 31 August 1880. In is she mentions the death of her father, Duncan. Again, there is a mass of family history information.

"...my father passed away on the 11th of January last..I went home to Clachan on the day before his funeral and saw all the arrangements completed. My brothers John and Neil and my son Duncan went to Clachan on the forenoon of the funeral and were present at it. There was a numerous turn out at the funeral, numbers coming long distances to be present to show their respect...He was laid in the same grave as my mother so that they will now rest together in Clachan 'till the great Resurrection morn."

At this time, women did not attend funerals. She goes on to give more info:

"I visited the churchyard on the afternoon of the funeral and saw the grave closed up...There is a large stone over my father's grave and as the inscription on it may possess some interest for you, I send you below a copy of it. Part of it is in English and part in Latin:

Here lies Mulmorich Darroch, person, was in Kilcalmonell, who died 10th March 1638, aged 63, and served the cure.

Moricuis D hic situs est voce fideli quie docuit populum nuncia letas die. Memento mori

Renewed by John and Archibald Darroch, 1864

"My brothers caused Dugald Glen to renew the lettering on the stone and make it legible in 1864 - which is the meaning of the paragraph relating to that circumstance. In case the Latin portion should perplex you my son has translated it into English as follows:

Mulmorich Darroch is buried here, who with a faithful voice, taught the people for a long time the glad tidings.

They must remember that they die."

According to the Ralston Genealogy website, the stone still stands in Clachan old cemetery. There is also a headstone which mentions Dugald Glen who renewed the lettering - the one that also mentions Helen Darroch.

Mary then, very helpfully, mentions the family bible (how I wish I had someone this thorough in my family!):

"In my father's family bible he has noted the date of his own and family's births and as they may have some interest for you, for the sake of comparison, I append a copy of them.

Duncan Darroch born February 26th 1796
Mary Darroch born April 27th 1825
Anne Darroch born December 7th 1827
Neil Darroch born April 17th 1830
Kate Darroch born May 2nd 1832
John Darroch born July 2nd 1834
Duncan Darroch born January 29th 1838
Marion Darroch February 8th 1840
Archibald Darroch born April 3rd 1843"
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Darroch/McQuilkan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Hello Shona,

the family you are researching are also mine, the best place is Clachan Cemetery and there are also descendents of the same family in Killean Cemetery, the Mulmorich grave has other family members in with him that are not mentioned on his headstone, its a pity Iain MacDonald was not still with us as he knew everything there was to know on the Darrochs from Largieside.

good luck with your search
Darroch/McQuilkan
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby AnneneeDarroch » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Hello

Thanks for your responses Shona and the other member who responded.

Yes I have seen the Mary Currie letters which are fantastic source for my research and I hope to visit some of the places mentioned there. I was hoping there may be someone out there on the ground who had further knowledge of my family. I heard of the late Ian McDonald who sounded lovely, and I am sure he is a real loss to the community up there. If you know of anything or anyone who might help me progress things pls do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your time.

Anne

BTW I am a descendant of Niel Darroch, the brother of Mary Currie who was mentioned in the letter. Niel's son Duncan migrated to Liverpool towards the turn of the nineteenth century.
AnneneeDarroch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy