Reids or McMillans

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Reids or McMillans

Postby Michael JC » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:06 am

Are there any Reid's or McMillan's around Machrihanish or Campbeltown that are related to the late Agnes Reid ( nee) 1885 to 1979, or the late Alexander McMillan 1889 to 1971, who were my Great Grandparents. I was in Campbetown in 1977 and should have done more research, but I was 19, what can I say. I met my great gram's sister and her daughter Polly and while I was travelling the UK great gram's sister died, often wondered if it was our long hair that shocked her? I also met a cousin of great gram's while lunching at the Argyll Arms hotel where a friend and I stayed for a week. Gram also said she worked a farm as a lass that Paul McCartney had bought.

My Great Grand parents came to Victoria BC Canada in 1911, a city with a harbour much like Campbeltown in a sense. Other brothers and sisters came here or went to Australia. Enough rambling , any Reid's or McMillan's around their old town?

Great Grandmother's Mom and Dad were MR & Mrs James Reid of Stewarton. In 1972 Gram went to Campbeltown for a reunion and there was a article with a picture in the Campbeltown courier. One brother John stayed and worked at High Knockrioch farm for 47years, there was one other brother Hugh from Victoria BC. Some sisters went to Victoria or Australia, while others remained in the Lochgilphead area. The sisters were Mary, Sarah, Tessie, Elizabeth, Agnes, and Margaret.

Great Grandfather's Mom and Dad were Alexander & Agnes McMillan, they worked at the Knocknaha Mill till sometime in 1901 when they worked the Torchoillean farm till his death in 1908. Their children were all boys except for Jessie the lone girl.Donald, Duncan, Alexander, James, Andrew ?, John, Matthew, Hugh, Jessie, Charles, Archibald, and Hector. Some came to Victoria B.C., others went to Australia and I guess some stayed around Campbeltown.

Donald, Duncan, Alexander, John, Jessie, Archibald, Hector, and their mother Agnes McMillan came to Victoria B.C.
Michael JC
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Reids or McMillans

Postby Justherself » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:32 pm

My grandfather was Hugh Reid and my Grandmother was Susan McMillan. Susan's death certificate reports that her mother was Agnes McMillan and her father was Alexander McMillan, both of Campbeltown. Hugh's death certificate lists his father as James Reid and his mother as Mary Taylor. I have a copy of the 1911 census page (Killean and Kilchenzie) showing them, along with my Aunt Nanny (Agnes) and my grandmother's niece Jessica McMillan, who was 13 at the time.
Justherself
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Michael JC » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:58 am

That would be our Clan, my Great Grandmother was Agnes Reid who married my Great Grandfather Alexander McMillan in 1910 in Campbeltown. They emigrated to Canada shortly after that as the death of his father Alexander in 1908 they had to leave the farm I guess or choose to with his mother and others. And Hugh and Susan I believe came to Victoria with them, if I remember the family saying the 4 were close. I guess James Reid was the only family member that stayed in Stewarton

Funny this came today of all days I was looking through a Cupe 50 Victoria booklet and there in a picnic picture from 1937 I found Agnes and Alexander and I think my grandmother Molly (Mary) too. I'll have to ask my mother if it is Gram she'd be 24 too young for me to tell. I'm Michael J C Anderson of Victoria BC and I believe you too are from Victoria but your name slips my mind. I have met you at past funerals, I want to say Sharon. Good to hear from you and I hope health and happiness never eluded you.
Michael JC
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Justherself » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Sorry to take so long to reply. My name is Sherri Reid and I live in Manitoba, where my mom's folk are. I did live on Vancouver Island for some years in my teens. I have no photos of my dad Andrew when he was young and none of Hugh and Susan at all. It is something that has bothered me over the years. I also had no idea that my dad had aunts and uncles living in Victoria. Do you have any other photos that my have my grandma and grandpa other kin? So glad to connect!
Justherself
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Reids or McMillans .possible connection via Paul McCartn

Postby Perplexed1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:59 am

Hi,
My grand mother and her brother and his family farmed at Glencraigs farm, she married there. This farm was later part of Paul McCartney's holdings I am told. She was Jean Wyl(l)ie and her brother was George Wylie. He's there as a tenant on the 1851 census.

Interestingly she and her husband named their first child Mary Reid Whiteford. We do not have Reids in our family line that I can tell but I'm wondering whether she was named after someone in your family who was also there around the same time. Jean may have been there from about 1846 and she married in 1849 but George and his family remained ere until possibly 1854.

Anne
Perplexed1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby skrik » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Glencraigs is not part of Paul's estate. It comprises Mid Craigs, Highpark, Lowpark, High Ranachan, Low Ranachan, Rannachan Cottage and West Skeroblin. Wishing you well !
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Kintyre Genealogy