Hugh McKinven

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Hugh McKinven

Postby Barbara Minish » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi there;

I am new to the forum but really excited to be here!! My grandmother Margaret Crawford McNeill was born in Clachan in 1901 to Kate McNeill who was the daughter of James and Grace McNeill. Her father is said to have been a McAlister who moved to Islay and died there in 1907. She moved with her Mom to Shotts when she was 4 and eventually due to cruelty by both her mother and step father was removed and placed in the care of Quarriers. From there she went on to Canada where she had a wonderful albeit short life.(She died when she was in her mid 40s).

After having spent many years hitting brick walls I had decided that we would never know our scottish roots. But recently my husband and I decided to take some time away from our normal life to do some travelling. We decided to base ourselves for 6 months in Scotland so that I might try to break through some of the walls I had been struggling with. I have not been disappointed!! The information above has been all due to the wonderful people at Quarriers who were able to find lots of information on my grandmother and from there I was able to locate some of her other family members. There are still many holes but much fewer than before arriving here.

The question I have for anyone who might know;

My 4x great grandparents are Donald McKinven and Euphemia Paterson married August 3rd 1805 in Clachan
My 5x great grandparents are Hugh McKinven and Jean Stewart
HOWEVER; I can't find any proof of their marriage and have been unable to find any records except from family trees which I prefer not to use as my only reference. Hugh was born in 1752 in Killean and passed away 1841. Jean was born 17 November 1780 and passed away December 1 1876. Of the marriage there were 6 children; William, Mary, Neil, Donald, Robert and James. if any one has any info on this family I would be so grateful to know anything. I have been down to Kintyre and have found a few headstones but am looking forward to coming back again to see more and learn more about my grandmother's family.

Thanks so much in advance;
Barbara :D
Barbara Minish
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Hugh McKinven

Postby Iain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 am

Hi Barbara ! Welcome to The Kintyre Forum. :wink:

Are you on Ancestry ? And if so..., are you the “Minish Family Tree”?
This tree contains the following reference details concerning the contents. Unfortunately, the owner may not have continued with the subscription; (perhaps) in any case, clicking on the tree displays a “fault.”

Margaret Crawford McNeill
Birth: 6 May 1901 - Argyll, Scotland
Death: 26 Aug 1940 - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Marriage: 20 Oct 1926 - Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Spouse: Clifford Ernest Sunderland
F: (Name Unknown)
M: Catherine

It also indicates that there are 2 attached records and 3 photos. (photos are often a reference to documents..., but looking at the dates, there is every possibility that there could be real images of her)

Anyway, if this is the person, I’m sure she must be well documented and others will surely be able to help you.

Good luck..., Iain.

PS I've just Googled her and there are dozens of references to her ! (even family photos, newspaper cuttings, documents and headstones)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Barbara Minish » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 am

Hi Iain;

That is me!! I have been doing quite a lot of research on my grandmother Margaret so there are many documents there and more to come!! I am so very happy to know that she came from this wonderful area of Scotland. Now it's just to come up with her ancestors!

Thank you so much for the welcome!

Barbara Minish
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Barbara Minish wrote:Hi Iain;
That is me!!

Sorry Barbara ! Feel a bit of an idiot ! Lol ! Didn't see the related Forum name ! :wink:

PS I'm sure Shona will be able to help you out ! Wink..., wink ! :D
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Hello, Barbara - welcome to the forum.

I have a number of McKinvens in my family tree - from Killean. They are a pesky bunch, though! The name can be recorded in so many different ways AND it gets transcribed as McKinnon and McNiven! In some records the name is interchangeable with Love.

Moving on to Paterson, this is an anglicised version of McFatter, McPhater, McPhadder and variants.

You probably have this info already, but I'll post it for reference for other researchers or people reading this thread.

1841 census - Monemore, Killean and Kilchenzie

Donald McKenven, 55, farmer
Donald McKenven, 20
Duncan McKenven, 15
Ephemia McKenven, 13
Grace McKenven, 11
Emilia McKenven, 9

Killean burying ground headstone:

Robert McKinven, died 1882, aged 87
Euphemia Mckinven, died 1883, aged 81
Donald McKinven, died 1887, aged 56 years
Mary McConnachie, died 1931, aged 81 years

Clachan cemetery:

Jean McKinnon, died 1834, aged 27 years
Effie Paterson, died 1837, aged 49
Donald McKinnon

There is a Jean Stewart born on 18 September 1784 and baptised on 20 September, daughter of Robert Stewart and Isabella Mitchie.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Barbara Minish » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Shona;

Thanks so much for responding to my post! I do have the census record for the McKinvens in 1840, Grace was my 4x great grandmother. She married Duncan McAlister who passed away a few years after they were married and then, less than a year later, went on to marry my 4x great grandfather, Archie Crawford who also passed away very young. She was apparently buried in Clachan but I've been through the graveyard twice and haven't found her or any of her family members.

I believe Donald McKinven Sr. passed away in 1840 or 41. Did you find Effie in the church yard in Clachan or is there another cemetery there? (I feel like the McKinvens are everywhere!!! I even went to the graveyard in the old Skipness parish cemetery and there were a number of them there as well!!) I found a stone erected by Donald McKinnon in memory of his wife Effie Paterson at the graveyard that's about 1/2 hour beyond Clachan driving south. I tried to attach a picture of it here but the file was too large.

I still am confused about Hugh McKinven and Jean Stewart. The Jean Stewart that was in the family trees that I found was born in 1780 which would be impossible as Donald was born in 1786. Her parents were Archibald Stewart and Mary McLean also from Kilkenzie. The Jean Stewart that you've found is even closer in age to Donald. I'm starting to think Hugh was married to someone completely different! You are right about the McKinvens they certainly are a pesky lot! So many of the same names used multiple times!!! How do you sort out who is who.....which Donald is my Donald or Effie!!

By the way which McKinvens are you attached to? Are we connected? I had never heard the name before coming here but of course there are many McKinnons out there and in my research in Canada the name Love appears in a number of census records in Ontario. (I still do not understand how the name changed that dramatically but I'm still very young in my knowledge of all things genealogical!).

I can't thank you enough for the information you've given me Shona. I'm going to plug in your Jean Stewart's information into Ancestry and see what results the great and powerful Ancestry search engine provides!

Thanks again;
Barb :D
Barbara Minish
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jonquest » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:16 pm

My 2x great grandfather John Stalker's first wife Annabel was a sister to Margaret Stalker (1787?-1879), who was married to your 4X great grandfather's brother Neil. Neil McKinven/Margaret Stalker's family tree is extensive but I have Neil's birth at approximately 1778 d. 26 Jul 1862 Rhunahaorine, Killean.

I haven't looked into this tree much yet but there are a lot of descendants.

Let me know if I can help you out as far as Neil McKinven goes,

Hope this helps, Barb

Tim
jonquest
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Barbara Minish » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 am

Hi Tim;

Thanks so much for the information. I will travel down the Neil McKinven line and see what I can come up with! I will let you know if I find out anything interesting.

Cheers;
Barb :D
Barbara Minish
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby KatieMcKinven » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Hello!

I believe I can be of some help when it comes to how the name McKinven came from Love. My dad did a lot of research into it and so far he believes the the McKinvens used to be the Love family, we only changed it after we essentially pissed off the English King and went into hiding in Ireland, which explains why it's "MCKinven" and not "MACKinven", which is normally the traditional spelling of Scottish Surnames. I know this was posted a year ago but I really really hope you can reply to this, I'd love to know what you've found out!

Katie McKinven
KatieMcKinven
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy