Ancient newspapers :

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Ancient newspapers :

Postby Iain » Tue May 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi All !

Being a bit of a genealogy fanatic, I’ve been researching ways and means to add a bit of colour to what’s usually a monotonous BDM listing.
“An impossible task” you might say, without an attic full of 300-year-old family letters ! But no, I found the solution and in the meantime, I’ve found myself a 3xGG Thomas who was a one-man crime wave ! Nearly destined for Australia on a couple of occasions but eventually served his sentence on a UK Hulk ship. The Australians obviously didn’t want him ! :wink:
Also, a friend in Glasgow mentioned recently that she’s on the track of a 19th century family grave robber. Lol ! Some people have all the luck !
British Newspaper Archive :
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Viewing is totally free and as such provides a lot of hints about the info entered into their search engine; and to get started and whet the appetite the Government supplies you with 15 free credits. (5 credits needed to download a page and no obligation to continue)
Of course, to continue after the 15 credits there’s an annual fee of around £85.
From about 1750..., it’s an absolutely amazing read with tons of ancient info relative to Campbeltown.

..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Ancient newspapers :

Postby gray_marian » Tue May 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Thank you Iain, off to have a wee look
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Kintyre Genealogy