James Drummond

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

James Drummond

Postby yvonnewilliams » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm

I am trying to find any family related to James Drummond. My Grandfather was born in Dunoon but later moved to Campbeltown. He died in France lst world war. 30/03/1917 at the age of 25yrs. It appears that all first born are called James Drummond
My Father was James Drummond born 26/09/1. We left Campbeltown in 1945 and as yet I haven't been back.
I would love to visit and of course like to know if there are any relatives to speak to. I really would like some photographs.
Please, someone help.
Thank you

Yvonne Williams nee Drummond
yvonnewilliams
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: James Drummond

Postby gizmo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi Yvonne,

I don't know if you are aware your G/F is commemerated on the Campbeltown War Memorial. He is listed as a L/Cpl in A&SH but he actually served in the 16th btn HLI. There is a note in the Courier dated 28/4/17 reporting his death but no photos I'm afraid. If you send me your e-mail address by PM I will send you a photocopy of the page.

JIM
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Hello, Yvonne.

Jim is right, your grandfather is on the War Memorial in Campbeltown.

I've looked him up in Soldiers Who Died in the Great War and can add a little bit more for you. James was born in Sandbank, Dunoon, and enlisted in Lanark. He was killed in action and was buried in the Savy British Cemetery, Aisne, France. The cemetery is near St Quentin.

Using this info, I found the family on the 1901 census.

Distillery Buildings, Main Road, Dunoon

James Drummond, head, 23, general labourer, born Strachur, Argyll
Elizabeth Drummond, wife, 24, born Dull, Perthshire
Janet Drummond, daughter, 4, born Kilmun, Argyll
James Drummond, son, four months, born Sandbanks, Argyll

Sandbank is a village on the Cowal Peninsula. about two-and-a-half miles north of Dunoon

As regards finding a photo of your grandfather, James, it may be poss to hunt down a school photo. Do you know when the family moved to Campbeltown? And do you know your grandmother's name, please?

Cheers,

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby yvonnewilliams » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Hello Shauna,
How kind of you to give me so much information.
I have very little information on my Grandfather, and of course my father died 16years ago so I am unable to gather much more information.
His wife, my Granie, was Annie Anderson. After my Grandfather died she married a Mr Brown.
You ask what school he went to, all I can say they were Catholic and my Father went to the Catholic boys school.
How would I obtain a school photograph as I would like one of my father.
I have no pictures of my Dad as a child, sad isn't it. They were probably unable to pay of the school pictures.
Thank you for your help
Yvonne
yvonnewilliams
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Shona » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi Yvonne,

Had a wee search for your grannie. I think this may be her in the 1901 census:

15 Bolgam Street, Campbeltown
Stephen Anderson, head, 28, fisherman, born Ireland
Annie Anderson, daughter, 8, scholar, born Campbeltown
John Anderson, son, 6, scholar, born Campbeltown
Margaret Anderson, daughter, 4, born Campbeltown

If your grandfather went to school in Dunoon and was Catholic, he probably attended St Mun's Primary School. Perhaps you could email the school to ask them if they could tell you how to track down old photos of the school and schoolchildren.

There is also a Dunoon forum, so it might be worth posting a message on there about old photos.

Another avenue may be to email the library in Dunoon to ask them about photo.

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Kintyre Genealogy