Campbell/Currie family in Campbeltown

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Campbell/Currie family in Campbeltown

Postby southernlass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:19 am

Seeking more information about Alexander Campbell, stonemason, of Campbeltown who married Janet Curry/Currie in 1812. Children born to them were Donald (1814), Mary (1815), Janet (1817), Catharine (1818), Finlay (1820), Flora (1822) and Elizabeth(1823). Donald I believe was known as Daniel Campbell when he moved to work as a ships carpenter in Greenock after 1841. Hazarding a guess with the names of Alexander's sons perhaps HIS father was Finlay Campbell /Mary Ferguson. With so many Campbells I am not sure where else to find more info (other than Scotlands People) so advice appreciated
southernlass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Campbell/Currie family in Campbeltown

Postby Shona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:19 am

Hello, Southern Lass - welcome to KF!

Scotland's People is a fantastic, but expensive, resource.

You can also use Family Search, which is free. I tend to do initial searches on Family Search until I am positive I have found what I'm after. Then I might view the original documents on Scotland's People.

I've had a look at Family Search for you...

Alexander Campbell was born in Campbeltown on 9 December 1791. Parents are named as Finlay Campbell and Mary Ferguson.

Finlay Campbell and Mary had the following children in Campbeltown:

Mary, born 27 Feb 1790
Alexander, born 1791
Mary, born 1 July 1797, bapt 7 July 1797
Ann, born 16 Feb 1799, bapt 16 Feb 1799
Katherin, born 11 June 1801, bapt 12 June 1801
Janet or Christian, born 17 June 1803, bapt 19 June 1803

I'm curious about the six year gap between Alexander and Mary 2 and the fact there is no child named Finlay. I wonder if they may have spent time in another parish?

Checking Ancestry (you have to pay a subscription), Finlay Campbell appears on the 1841 census. He is aged 90 and described as a 'pauper lodger' living at Lochend Street in Campbeltown. He doesn't appear on the 1851 census.

Although you can search Ancestry for Scottish census records, you can't access the Image, just a transcription. Given the cost of credits on Scotland's People, I find my subscription to Ancestry, which gives me unlimited searches, is very useful.

Another site you should check is Ralston Genealogy - fantastic for cemetery photographs. It's also free.

The Duke of Argyll recorded all the people on his lands in 1792, so Findlay should appear. I don't have a copy of the entries for Campbeltown (only Killean), but other KF members do and may be able to help you.

Good luck!

Shona
Last edited by Shona on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:19 pm

I've had a search of Ralston Genealogy and you're in luck!

There is a match for headstone in Campbeltown's Old Kilkerran cemetery which looks likely to be your Campbell family. This is fromm the index to the cemetery photos:

Finlay Campbell
Mary Ferguson, died 1794
Christian Campbell, died 1826?, 23 years.

You will have to order a pic from the website to get further details, but I would guess the stone was erected by Finlay Campbell in memory of his wife, Mary Ferguson, who died in 1794, also their daughter, Christian, who died in 1826 at the age of 23.

Here's the link:

http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/personform4.php

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 pm

That headstone info plus and additional two births has made me rethink my original reply to you!

Finlay Campbell did marry Mary Ferguson and they went on to have three children (so far identified) betweeo 1790 and 1794.
- Mary Campbell, born 27 February 1790, in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary Ferguson
- Alexander Campbell, born 9 June 1791 in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary Ferguson
- Neil Campbell, born 22 Feb 1794 in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary McKergish

NOTE: McKergish is one of the Gaelic forms of Ferguson.

Mary Ferguson died in 1794 - possibly as a result of childbirth.

Finlay Campbell remarried and went on to have children with his second wife, who was also named Mary, possibly Mary Campbell.
- Archibald Campbell, born 19 Sept 1795 in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary Campbell
- Mary Campbell, born 1 July 1797, bapt 7 July 1797 in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary Campbell
- Ann Campbell, born 16 Feb 1799, bapt 16 Feb 1799 in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary Campbell
- Katherin Campbell, born 11 June 1801, bapt 12 June 1801 in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary Campbell
- Janet or Christina, born 17 June 1803, bapt 19 June 1803 in Campbeltown, parents Finlay Campbell and Mary Campbell

I have found a record of a Finlay Campbell marrying Mary McCook in Campbeltown on 28 March 1831. The same couple also marry in Killean and Kilkenzie parish on 31 March 1831. That would imply to me that she is from Killean and Kilkenzie parish. What we don't know is if this is the aged Finlay marrying again or one of his sons, which I feel is more likely!

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Some info from the census records on Alexander Campbel and Jean Currie's children. I'm fairly certain about the 1841 and 1851 records below:

1841 - Big Kiln, Campbeltown
Mary Campbell, 25, sewer
Cathrine Campbell, 20, sewer

1851 - Big Kiln, Campbeltown
Catharine Campbell, 28, sewster
Flora Campbell, sister, ?6, sewster

Not having that much luck finding the others. There are a couple of possibilities, though:

1841 - Ballymainack, Campbeltown
Elizabeth Campbell, 18, female servant

1841 - Bellach, Campbeltow
Janet Campbell, 20, female servant

NOTE:
Ages in the 1841 census records aren't exact. Enumerators had to round down ages to the nearest 5 for adults.

Do you know if any of the family emigrated? They do seem to vanish from the records in Kintyre, so I'm windering if they headed off to Canada like so many other people from the area.

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby southernlass » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Am really appreciative of all your help. I have plenty to go on to help tie up the names. My main confusion is Donald Campbell's baptism as I am sure he was called Daniel from before 1846. His parents were Alexander Campbell and Janet Curry on his marriage entry to Maty McCallum in Greenock in 1846. Mary McCallum is another puzzle for me - parents named as John McCallum and Mary McQuilkan of Skipness. I intend to come to Glasgow in June from New Zealand - so am just trying to sneak a wee flight to Campbeltown into the itinerary! Wendy
southernlass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy