Stalker/McStockair family in Killean and Kilcalmonell areas

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Stalker/McStockair family in Killean and Kilcalmonell areas

Postby jonquest » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 am

Hello,

I'm new to the list but have been following it for quite awhile. I've been researching my family history in Kintyre, notably in the Tayinloan, Campbeltown, Kilcalmonell areas. They appear in records going back into the late 1700s as well in Lochgoilhead. My great grandfather Peter Stalker was born in the Tayinloan area in the mid 1840s. I haven't found a birth record in the Scotlands People website but I know his parents were John McStockair and Catherine Mcdiarmid (m. 1839). The marriage between John and Catherine was both of their second marriages. John was also married to Annabel McStockair in 1814. Catherine was married to a Hector Morrison as well.

My wife, son and I are going to be visiting the Kintyre region in April and I'd like to find some of these place names or get more of a background on whether or not I could find them. I've seen several references to work done by a Mr. Ian McDonald of Clachan on family history and geography in early Scotland but I'm not sure of any books of his that might exist or other writings I could acquire. Is Mr. McDonald still living?

These are the places that figure significantly in my family history:

Torchaonachan in Kilcalmonell - where John and Annabel were living when married in 1814
Brantian in Kilcalmonell - place where some of my great step Uncles were born - Donald McStockair - 1817 and others who I don't have birth records for - Malcolm McStockair, born around 1825-1830, Duncan, and others

Witchburn (possibly a street) in Campbeltown - place where Catherine McDiarmid was from. her father was a Peter McDiarmid, mother was Hellen Galbraith.
Hollaran or Kollaran - Killean/Kilchenzie where Catherine married Hector Morrison

I have some other place names as well and will make another post. I'm having a tough time locating records for my Great Great grandfather John McStockair, though I suspect he was born in the 1790s. Curiously the name of his first born son was Lachlin who later changed his name to John in the States. I'm just wondering if it would be unusual for a person named Lachlan to prefer to use John. There is a record for a Lachlane McStockair born in 1793.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Tim Stalker - Denver, Colorado
jonquest
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Stalker/McStockair family in Killean and Kilcalmonell areas

Postby Iain » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 am

Hi Tim ! Welcome to The Kintyre Forum.

Concerning the books, there are quite a few people on here who could help..., but they seem to absent for the time being. (getting over the Hogmanay hangover... Lol )
Also..., have you tried RootsChat . http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php Very helpful !

I found the following..., hope it helps a little: Good luck and I hope your holiday plans are going well. :wink:

..., Iain.

----------------------------------------------

John (MCSTOCKAIR) Stalker
Birth
Death
1839 9 Dec Marriage to Kate MCDIARMID
Tayinloan, Argyll, Scotland
2nd marriage

Anna Bell Stalker 1840 – 1923
John L. (Lachlane) Stalker 1840 – 1924
Neil Stalker 1842 – 1863
Peter Stalker 1844 – 1913
Archibald Stalker 1846 – 1920
--------------------------------------------------------

Anna Bell Stalker
Birth 12 Aug 1840 in Scotland, United Kingdom
Death 4 Jan 1923 in Lucas, Ohio,

1863 19 Jun Age: 22 Marriage to George Wood
Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio

1864 Age: 24 Arrival

George Wood 1835 –
George M Wood 1864 – 1932
Kate A "Catherine" Wood 1864 – 1935
---------------------------------------------------------
John L. (Lachlane) Stalker
Birth 12 Aug 1840 in Tayinloan, Argyll, Scotland
Death 24 Feb 1924 in New Mexico, USA
Eunice Marie GROVER 1848 – 1909
Syrus M. Stalker 1870 –
Arthur Stalker 1872 –
Martha Stalker 1875 – 1958
Archie Stalker 1878 –
Eunice Stalker 1880 – 1924
------------------------------------------------

Neil Stalker
Birth 1842 in Tayinloan, Argyll, Scotland
Death aft 1863.

------------------------------------------------
Peter Stalker
Birth 28 Sep 1844 in Tayinloan, Argyll, Scotland
Death 28 Aug 1913 in Albion, Boone, Nebraska

Rachael GROVER
Neil Stalker 1867 –
Sarah Stalker 1868 –
John Stalker 1870 –
Almond P. Stalker 1872 –
Ogretta Stalker 1874 –
Margaret Stalker 1876 –
Peter Stalker 1879 –
Captain Malcom Stalker 1880 –
Loran Stalker 1883 –
George Stalker 1885 – 1965
Duncan Stalker 1887 – 1973

-----------------------------------------
Archibald Stalker
Birth 1 Jan 1846 in Tayinloan, Argyll, Scotland
Death 10 Aug 1920 in Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio

1872 1 Jan Age: 26 Marriage to Adaline L SCOTT
Lucas County Ohio

Adaline L SCOTT
Nelson Everett Stalker 1873 –
Wallace Scott Stalker 1884 –

-------------------------------------------

Kate MCDIARMID
Birth 4 Mar 1805 in Tayinloan, Argyll, Scotland
Death 17 Feb 1896 in Walbridge, Wood, Ohio, USA

1805 4 Mar Birth

1832 27 Sep
1st marriage

1839 9 Dec
2nd marriage

1896 17 Feb Age: 90 Death
Walbridge, Wood, Ohio, USA

---------------------------------------------------

Hector MORRISON
Birth 1810
Death

1832 27 Sep Age: 22 Marriage to Kate MCDIARMID
1st mariage

Peter MORRISON 1833 –
Katharine MORRISON 1835 –

----------------------------------------------------
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:10 am

My ggg grandmother was Janet McStockair/Stalker.

*waves to distant cousin*

Lachlan isn't a variant of John - I've found brothers in the same family named Lachlan and John. My father was named Angus but called John because a) it was his middle name, b) his father was also named Angus and c) when he lived in England all Scots seemed to get called Jock!

The following info comes from the Duke of Argyll's 1792 census. I've only got copies of Killean parish, but I hope it may be of use in your research. Women are recorded using their maiden surnames.

North Beachmore
Donald McStocker, 21
John McStocker, 17

Braid Auchaloskin
Iver Campbell, 22
Mary McStocker, 20
Flory McStocker, 18

Mid Kilmory
Mathew Stewart, 17
Ann McStocker, 18

South Crubastill
Gilbert McStocker, 52
Janet McFatter, 50
Malcom McStocker, 8
Gilbert McStocker, 3

Kilmaluag
Neil McStocker, 42
Christian Dounie, 40

Looking at the 1841 census records, John Stalker and Catherine are at Tayinloan.

John Stalker, 48, Ag lab
Catherine Stalker, 34
Lachland Stalker, 9 months
Arabella, 9 months

I can find the following Stalker family in 1851 at Rhounahaorine Point.

John Stalker, 75, farmer
Duncan Stalker, son, 35
Flora Stalker, daughter in law, 29
Euphemia Stalker, grand daughter, 6
Peter Stalker, grandson, 4
John Stalker, grandson, 1

There are other Stalker families in the area, too - they were also farmers at Margmonagach.

Have you looked at the birth and marriage images on Scotland's People? Also, when did the family leave Kintyre for the US?

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:44 pm

A few notes on the places you mention.

1 Witchburn Road is in C/T - the poorhouse was located there and the former cottage hospital.

2 Brantian was located in Ballochroy Glen in the hills above Ballochroy. Many of these upland crofts were abandoned and now lie in ruins. It appears on some old maps, but not on modern maps.

3 Torchaonachan - this was another old croft in the hills, but I haven't been able to locate it on any old maps.

4 Holloran? Not a clue. Possibly a mistranscription? K can sometimes be misread as an H. If we're talking ant Killean parish, it may be Killarow.

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Pleased you were able to add to it Shona ! When Tim and family will parachute into Campbeltown in April, they'll be pleased to know that they're not alone. Perhaps he might help you look for your casks of whisky ! :lol: When do you intend printing that book ? :wink:
By the way..., did you receive my 1776 Tiree census and images ?

Happy New Year..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 pm

And a very happy 2013 to you, too. Yes, I did get the images - they are marvellous, but untangling the McLeans is a tough task!

You mention whisky. Well, the Stalker family were involved. John McStalker of Achravad, Clachan, appears in various records in association with the illicit whisky business. Also there was a still at Brantian in Ballochroy Glen - run by Samuel and Coll McAlester and Co.

Must get on with the book!
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 pm

This may be of interest, Tim.

The village of Tayinloan is still a thriving community with a large number of new houses, a hotel appropriately named the MacDonald Arms and a fine community hall with adjacent sports grounds. Today, Largieside is a blend of agriculture and forestry. The well-farmed lower lands have dairy and beef herds of cattle with the upper slopes grazed by flocks of Blackface and Cheviot sheep. Many of the ruins which they graze around will soon be forgotten. Names like Rudugh, Ulladale, Torchaonachan, Achacoire, Balenceille, Corteanfaul, Moniemore, Brantian, Crockanriochy and Glacintarie are now virtually unknown, having been amalgamated into other farms. Although many years have passed, round some of these ruins, the daffodils still bloom each spring.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm

There is also an old Stalker headstone in Killean cemetery:

Duncan Stalker, died 1799, age 52 years.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jonquest » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Thank you so much, all of you. Lain, I have the records you provide in my tree and I have the 1792 census as well. John and Catherine I think immigrated to Canada sometime between 1846 and 1851. The family, minus Catherine's husband John, appears in the 1851 Ontario census (Blanshard Parrish, Perth County). Also in the 1861 census where Catherine is named actually "Widow Stalker."

In the 1851 census, Catherine's family are identified as Lauchlin, Annabel, Peter (my G Grandfather), Archibald, and Neil, all born in Scotland. The family moved to Ohio and show in the 1870 census for Lake County Ohio. Lauchlin and Annabel were twins, both born on 12 Aug, 1840.

As well, John's family from his first wife Anaabel (Donald, Malcolm, Duncan, Mary, and Neal) confirmed. Donald and Malcolm immigrated to Canada (Donald and wife) in the early 1840s. Malcolm, I'm not sure of when he immigrated. Still researching Duncan, Mary and Neal.

Malcolm as well as 4 of Donald's sons became rather famous ship captains on the Great Lakes. My G Grandfather's brothers Lauchlin (John) and Archie were also sailors and engineers on the Lakes. My G Grandfather moved to Nebraska in about 1884. I'm a grandson of Peter's last born son, Duncan Stalker, b. 1887. d. 1973.

I've wondered over the years if such a long and developed maritime history of the family actually began in Scotland as well. Malcolm, especially, had sailed the Great Lakes probably since his arrival. He left a long legacy of ships he captained going back to the 1850s. I've wondered if it was possible that Stalkers were sailors in Scotland as well. Records show them as farmers, Ag Labor, but even in the census records in the States they identified themselves as farmers while sailing.

In the Whiskey smuggling literature I've seen reference to a John McStalker of a place called Auchvrad who was involved in the trade. Also a Lachlane McStalker. I'd like to learn more about the smuggling, whether it was done by sea as well around the pennisula.

Thanks to all, I'll post back when I have more information. Looking forward to my visit.
jonquest
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Rodgui » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 am

Hi to everyone,
I am interested in the Stalker family as my grand mother was a daughter of Lachlan Stalker and Margaret, nee Riddell. Lachlan emigrated to New Zealand with his parents Donald and Elizabeth, nee McMillan, in 1873. There were nine children in the family. Donald died 1n 1874 age 64, so they all emigrated at a late age. Birth certificate says Donald was born 1st June 1810 in Killean and Kilchenzie, and his parents were Donald Stalker and mother McMillan? I have hit the proverbial brick wall, as I can find no more on this family. Can some one out there fill in some missing links please.
Kind Regards,
Rodney
Rodgui
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy