Archibald Campbell / Mary Darroch

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Archibald Campbell / Mary Darroch

Postby Dougs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:01 pm

I am looking for help as I am stuck tracing my GG Grandfather, Archibald Campbell, he married Mary Darroch, they had a son Duncan Campbell born Killean (Kilian, Inveraray) who married Jane (Jean) MacNeill of Balvicar married 1899. Any help with the Campbells would be greatly appreciated. If you have the MacNeills that would be good to hear from you. Scotland's People do not have the marriage record.
Dougs
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Archibald Campbell / Mary Darroch

Postby Iain » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Doug ! Welcome to The Kintyre Forum. :wink:

I had a look arround but unfortunately, all the names you provided can be seen in Canada, the USA and Australia, but nothing much in Ancestry Britain. (more dates and other names might help) And I found nothing relative to Mary Darroch.
Perhaps looking abroad could provide you with a line of research ?

Good luck..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Dougs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 pm

I want to thank everyone for looking. I have found additional information, while looking for Archibald Campbell in Kilian, Inveraray I found a Mary Darroch on the 1861 census age 15 living in French Farland cottage, Auchnangoul, Inveraray. She indicates she is born in Inveraray arround 1846. This is almost certainly the correct Mary Darroch due to the age, location and rare name for this area. I would believe they would also be members of the Wee Free Church, thanks Douglas
Dougs
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Dougs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Mrytle Helen Campbell married William Thomson on 1921 Vancouver already on the LDS website, this is the same family. These are cousins.
Dougs
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:30 am

Hi Douglas ! As you say, she’s mentioned in the 1861 census, but she’s down as a servant..., as such, you can’t use the family or address for research. Especially as she didn't marry into the family as they are Camerons and McKenzies, not Campbells ! Also, I finally found at least 30 Mary Darrochs with about the same dates, so you've a problem on your hands ! Lol ! Surprised Scotland’s People couldn’t help you !
Have you tried RootsChat ? Extremely helpful and a vast Scottish specialized audience !
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Good luck..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 pm

A Mary Milloy married Archibald Darroch in 1820. Her parents, Hugh Milloy and Margaret 'Peggy' Beaton emigrated from Kintyre and settled in Erin township in Canada. Archibald Darroch and Mary also emigrated to Canada.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Dougs » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks Shona, the Mary and Archibald I am looking for would be Campbells living in or near Inveraray, Mary Darroch however would be born arround 1846 and she was born in Inveraray. They had a son Duncan arround 1876 at or near Inveraray. The Archibald and Mary Darroch you mention could be parents?? of Mary.
Dougs
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Dougs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:23 am

Anyone who likes a story will like this. It is highly likely the following is TRUE. Mary Darroch (senior) had an illegitimate daughter also called Mary Darroch around 1846 at Inveraray. Mary Darroch (junior) shows on 1861 census at French garland, 1871 at Skipness and has an illegitimate child of her own at Killean, inveraray 1874. However after Mary (senior) has Mary (junior) she gets married to Mr MacKinnon, the child Mary Darroch is illegitimate but the registrar is happy to accept his name as Duncan Sinclair Darroch, the father being Archibald Sinclair, Mary Darroch and Archibald Sinclair agree to get married 1875, the church insists since Mary Darroch is now Mary MacKinnon, Mary Darroch (junior) is also married as Mary McKinnon, Archibald Sinclair tries to have his son christened 1 month after the wedding but is refused. He then kills himself 1878 by drowning in the Clyde. Mary Darroch or McKinnon or Sinclair marries Archibald Campbell 1881 to 1899 and takes the name Campbell, but the church records her name as McKinnon but the statutory records as Darroch. Ie the son Duncan birth shows him as Duncan Sinclair Darroch, with his mother as Mary Darroch, his marriage certificate as mother Mary Campbell ms Darroch father Archibald me but no record of marriage this is because when married church saw her as Mary McKinnon but state as Mary Darroch
Dougs
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:46 pm

LOL..., no wonder you have problems ! :lol:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy