McDougalls of Lochgilphead & Craignish

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McDougalls of Lochgilphead & Craignish

Postby alphazip » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:46 am

My g-g-g grandmother, Mary McDougall, was apparently born in Lochgilphead c. 1815. She was the daughter of Samuel McDougall, fisherman, and Janet, whose maiden surname is also given as McDougall. I haven't been able to locate a record of Mary's birth or her parent's births or marriage.

Mary later married an Irish (Catholic) immigrant by the name of James Gillick, and they moved to Coatbridge. I'm not lacking in Gillick records from Coatbridge, but don't have much on the McDougalls of Kintyre. My grandmother, Ann McLarty Gillick, recalled visiting the McDougalls in Craignish...also recalled a cousin around her age (she was born in 1890) by the name of Sammy, calling to the cattle in Gaelic.

Another mystery is why my grandmother's middle name was McLarty, though I did come across an infant "lodger" in the 1861 census living with the Gillicks by the name of Ann McLarty. Her birthplace is given as Coatbridge, but who she was and how she came to be living with the Gillicks is unknown. She doesn't seem to appear in later records.

If anyone has any information on these McDougalls, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
alphazip
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McDougalls of Lochgilphead & Craignish

Postby Iain » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Alphazip ! Welcome to The Kintyre Forum.

Mary McDougall
Birth abt 1817 in Craignish, Parish number 508, Argyllshire
Death 1 Nov 1889 in Old Monkland Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Marriage to James Gillick 1837
Death: 1st NoVember 1889... Old Monkland Parish, Lanarkshire.

Children:
James Gillick 1813 – 1860
Hugh Gillick 1838 – 1924
Alexander Gillick 1841 – 1882
Torrance Lawrence Gillick 1842 – 1906
James Gillick 1845 –
Hugh Gillick 1849 – 1924
Mary Gillick 1850 –

Father:
Samuel McDougall
Birth abt.1790 in Unknown, probably Scotland

Mother:
Janet McDougall
Birth abt. 1790 in Scotland ?

--------------------------------------------

James Gillick Birth abt 1845 in Coatbridge, Old Monkland Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Married Mary Ann Lachlan Birth abt 1846 in Lanarkshi

Marriage to Mary Ann Lachlan 30 Dec 1866 Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Children:
Bridget Gillick 1866 –
Mary Gillick 1868 –
James Gillick 1870 –
Torrance Gillick 1872 –

:wink:

PS Be very careful..., there are many similar names and dates out there !
Last edited by Iain on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: McDougalls of Lochgilphead & Craignish

Postby alphazip » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Iain, thanks so much for the information! It's really the McDougalls of Kintyre that I was inquiring about, but you gave me some information I did not have, and for that I am grateful. In addition to there being two families of apparently unrelated Gillicks (both originating in Ireland) in the Coatbridge & Airdrie areas, my Gillick line also has the strange habit of adopting the surname Kelly from time to time! I just found them as Kelly in the 1841 census, though a decade later they're back as Gillick again. If anyone can explain why a family would toggle between two surnames during this time period, I'd be glad to hear it.

The first Gillick to come over from Ireland, James (born c. 1815-20), married Mary McDougall (born in Lochgilphead c. 1815-20). She was the daughter of Samuel McDougall, a fisherman, and Janet (maiden surname apparently also McDougall). They were living in the Craignish area, yet I can find no record of their birth, marriage, the births of Mary's siblings, etc. I assume the McDougalls were Protestant, though Mary wed a Catholic Irishman, and they baptized their children as Catholics. However, this line of Gillicks, through intermarriage, became Protestant by the next generation.
alphazip
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy