Illicit whisky:

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Illicit whisky:

Postby Iain » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 am

Not wanting to sidetrack the McMurchy/MacMurchy post... :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=14227&p=124321#p124321
..., it’s just dawned on me that Shona’s remark about illicit whisky must have influenced my McArthur bakers and butchers in Campbeltown at the time. Wonder if there is a list somewhere of names of illicit manufacturers ? I'd like to find one in my family... lol !

http://www.celticmalts.com/journal.asp? ... chy=10/4/9
The whisky was disposed of throughout the bordering highland areas, which "brought profit to a few individuals ... but was ruinous to the community". The parish minister advocated a duty so punitive that it would amount to a prohibition, and he commented on the situation: "When a man may get an English pint of potent spirits or, in other words, get completely drunk for 2d. or 3d. many will not be sober".
There were other disadvantages arising from distilling in the Campbeltown area, and elsewhere in Argyll. Recurrent scarcities of grain were troublesome: for example, Pennant (A Tour of Scotland and the Western Isles, 1772) noted that despite the quantity of bere raised, there was a dearth, the inhabitants of Kintyre "being mad enough to convert their bread into poison", distilling annually six thousand bolls of grain into whisky. In 1782-3 the harvest failed and acute distress was caused among the poor of the burgh of Campbeltown. The Commissioner of Supply took steps to forbid the making of whisky, at the same time ordering all private stills throughout Argyll to be confiscated. The distilling of whisky was again prohibited from 1795 to 1797 owing to grain shortages occasioned by the Napoleonic Wars. In 1812, there was another dearth of grain in Argyll. At that time, it was estimated that 20,000 bolls were converted annually into whisky in the country, of which over 50 per cent was being made illicitly in Kintyre, and 30 per cent in Campbeltown alone.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Illicit whisky:

Postby EMDEE » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 am

In this context, just an item of musical trivia about the gentleman who is pictured on the left. It is said that the fiddle tune "Niel Gow's Farewell to Whisky" was composed to mourn the failure of the barley crop in 1793, and had nothing to do with his voluntarily giving up whisky as a personal decision. It may be of interest that when the availability of the raw material improved, Niel composed a follow up tune, a strathspey named "Whisky welcome back again". He lived in Inver, near Dunkeld, and probably similarly there were a good number of illicit distillers in the area, as I assume there was generally across the country. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 am

Can always count on you Emdee for interesting comments ! :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 am

Angus Martin's book, Kintyre Country Life has a chapter on illicit whisky.

Appendix 1: 'Tenants of the Argyll Estate Convicted of Malting or Distilling Illegally, 24 October 1800 to 2 April 1801.

The following were caught with a still:

Thomas Brown, Machrimore
David Reid, Kildavie
Robert Colville, Glenmanuill
Peter MacBride, Largybeg
Colin McEachran, Glenahervie
Donald Campbell, Killeonan
Peter Galbreath, Laggan
James and John Harvie, Skeroblinraid
Duncan McLean, Kylipoll (Calliburn)

The following had quantities of wash, ranging from 6 to 126 gallons:

Donald McLean, Corrylach
Hugh McIliver, Remuil
Malcolm McMath, Auchinslisaig
John MacPhaill, Darolochan
James McMillan, Cuilanlongart

Malting was being carried on by:

Donald McConnachy, Baligroggan
Lachlan Bowie, Largymore
John McNaught, Druimnarianach
Hugh McMillan, Gartvain
Alexander Campbell, Strone
Archibald Campbell Jr, Dailbhraddan

Alexander Campbell, Carrine, was caught with five gallons of illicit whisky.

David Reid in Kildavie later satisfied the Duke, on oath, that he had no knowledge of the Distilling, which had been 'carried on by his herd, and others not resident upon His Grace's Property'.
Last edited by Shona on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 am

Appendix 2

Illicit Whisky Distillers who purchased malt from John Colville in Campbeltown during the periods 1814-1819 and 1823-26:

John McNish, Amad
Charles McMillan, Ardnicle
Dugald McTaggart, Arus
John Taylor, Auchadaduie
Mary Blair, Auchensavill
Alexander McDugald, Auchyglas
John McAlister, Barr
Mary McCallum, Barr
William McFater, Barr
Angus McMillan, Barr
Flory McTaggart, Barr
Duncan McCallum, Blary
Archibald McFarland, Blary
John McFarlane, Blary
Dugald McClavereb, Carnmore
John Gray, Carnmore
James Brodie, Clachan
Duncan Gilchrist, Clachan
Donald McCoig, Clachan (also at Lochkearan)
Charles Mertin, Clachan
Archibald McEachrane, Cloinagart
Donald McLeod, Cloinagart (also at Margmonagach)
Nany McArthur, Coalhill (Drumlemble)
Mary McKinven, Coalhill
John (Mc)Murphy, Coalhill
Bell McSporran, Coalhill
Archibald Blair, Crubastill
James McGill, Dalbuie
Andrew Kelly, Darlochan
John McInnis, Drumlemble
Archibald Downie, Drumore
Neil Currie, Drumorebolach
Sandy Heman (Hyndman), High Park
Thomas McKendrick, Homeston
Robert McGill, Kerrafuar
Robert Watson, Kerrafuar
Neil McDonald, Killegruir (also at Margmonagach)
John McAlister, Killegruir
John Kendry, Killocraw
Duncan McLarty, Killocraw
John McMillan, Killocraw
Duncan McCallum, Kilmaluag
William McKellar, Kilowaraw (Killarow)
Flory McTaggart, Knockhanty
Isbel Smith, Knockhantybeg
Alexander Campbell, Knocknaha
Mrs Craw, Knocknaha
Malcom Kelly, Knocknaha
Donald Kelly, Knockrioch
Donald Munro, Lagalgarve
John Campbell, Licken
Ket Kenzie, Lochend (Campbeltown)
Ket McNaught, Lochend
Donald Tyre, Lochend
John McLean, Lochkearan (above Clachan)
Sandy Cameron, Lossit
Gardener, Lossit
Gardener's widow, Lossit
John McDonald, Margmonagach
John Taylor, Margmonagach
James Thomson, Muclach
Mary McKinven, Paisley (above Lagalgarve)
John McMillan, Putichan
John Maloy, Rannachan
Donald Cameron, Saltpans (Machrihanish)
Dugald McClaverin, Saltpans
Hector Reid, Saltpans (also at Lossit)
John Smith, Saltpans
Archibald Gilchrist, Stockadale (Barr Glen)
Donald McLarty, Tangcoshan (Barr Glen)
Nancy Watson, Tangchoillan
William Armour, Tradicle (Trodigal)
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:55 am

Four of John Colville's account books are at the archive in Lochgilphead. Two of the books are devoted to his transactions with illicit distillers - one for the period 1814 to 1819, the other covers 1823 to 1826.

In the first book, 127 customers appear - 68 are women. In the second book, 76 customers are named with 19 carried over from the first book. In the second book, there were 46 men and 30

Across both books, only 71 are identified by name AND location (see previous post). The remainder are identified by name only.

Many were repeat customers. Flory McTaggart of Knockahanty purchased malt from Colville on 34 occasions.

There are other sources which name illicit distillers. I'll post those names when I find my references.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:15 pm

From the correspondence books of Campbeltown Excise, 1847-1854.

3 Aug 1848, fair held on 'Tanloan Ferry Green''
- Hugh Gillis, spirit retailer of Ballochroy 'a respectable man in moderately good circumstances' had four-and-a-gallons seized. He pleaded ignorance ofvtgevlaw.
- Janet MacInnes, Ballochroy Glen, had a half-gallon 'exposed for sale'. She gave her excuse as poverty.
- Duncan Currie of Baycarr (Beacharr) lost an identical quantity. He was in 'poor circumstances' and denied having sold the whisky.
- Margaret MacCallum, Tayintruan, lost two-and-half gallons.

December 1848
Three men were discovered grinding illicit malt. Two escaped, but Duncan Currie was caught and jailed for three months. The miller, John Thomson, said that 'when he gives the key to parties to dry grain they hand it about from one to another...'

January 1850
Three tuns, containing about 200 gallons of wash were discovered in a garden at Auchafarrick. The garden was in Robert MacSporran's farm and was overlooked by the house of his brother Jojn, also a farmer. They were the suspects, but there were six others houses, occupied by servants and cottars, on the boundary between the two MacSporran farms. The brothers denied any knowledge. Both were prosecuted, but the case was dismissed.

January 1850
Thirty bushels of malt 'in operation' were found in a cave at 'Crubesdake'. Angus Bell was fined £25.

May 1851
John Thomson, miller at Barr, fined for allowing malt to be dried in his kiln.

February 1852
Adam McCorkindale, Clenegart, fined £50 for illegal malt. Later reduced to 10 shillings.

March 1852
John Thomson, miller at Barr, in trouble again for same offence. He implicated John MacMillan of Clachaig, who denied the malt was his.

April 1852
Gigha. Ten tuns containing 30 gallons of 'low wines' and 120 gallons of 'wash' found and destroyed. The cottars testified that the distillery belonged to Gugald Blue and John Gillies of Ballochroy on the mainland.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Another major source of information about the illicit distillers of Kintyre comes from Robert Armour, a plumber and coppersmith who set up his business in Campbeltown in 1811. It is suspected that the plumbing business was a front for the more lucrative work he undertook supplying copper stills throughout Kintyre. He kept detailed records of his transactions in what are known as the Still Books of Robert Armour. Listed below are some of the names of those he did business with. The names in this extract are in the Largieside area:

Angus Gilchrist and Malcolm McEachern, Arifeach
Alexander and Donald McCoag, Loch Kieran
Gilbert and Malcolm McEachern, Loch Kieran
John McStalker, Achravad
Alexander McAlester, Donald Thomson and Archibald McEachern, Dunskegg
Gilbert and Samuel Currie, Lochend
John McKechney, Achaglass
Alexander Graham, Carnebeg
John McLean and Archibald Milloy, Loch Kieran

John McTaggart, Neil McIlreavy, John McKinven, Neil Downie and Duncan McLean, Achapharic
John McCoag and sn, Beachmore

Alexander and John McFarlane, Auchnadryan
Hector and Finlay Currie, Courshelloch
Donald McEachern, Auchnadryan
John Campbell, Carnbeg, Largiesland, now in Garvoline, Skipness
Archibald McMurchy, Stewartfield, Clachan
Samuel and Coll McAlester & Co. Brantian, Ballochroy Glen
Donald McMillan and Neil McEachern, Achravad, Clachan
John McFiggan, farmer, Barr
David Turner, innkeeper, Barr
Neil McCorkindale and Edward McCallum, Barr Glen
Gilbert McEachern and Angus Bell, Clachaig Glen, Muasdale
Archibald McEachern, Cleongart, Bellochantuy
Neil Downie and Malcolm Curry, Drumore-na-Bodach.

Around 20 cottars clubbed together to set up a large still at Rhounahaorine. The main operators were Dugald McLachlan, John McInnes and Duncanm Downie.

Captain Watson and Gauger Brown from the excise raided the village almost daily. The still was forced to close down due the constant raids. Many fled to Canada to escape justice.

McFater, McEachran, McKay, McMurchy, McPherson, McKinnon, Carmichael, Smylie, and McMillan families, descendants of shareholders were found in 1880 when Hugh McLean, factor to Lord Stonefield, surveyed Ontario and the Prairie Provinces of Canada, on behalf of Kintyre Agricultural Society for further emigration. He found well-doing farmers owning their own lands, many named after the places their ancestors had left.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Shona..., great work ! But I'm going to have to take a weekend off to read it all. :wink: Seems extreemly interesting ! Thanks..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Iain wrote:Shona..., great work ! But I'm going to have to take a weekend off to read it all. :wink: Seems extreemly interesting ! Thanks..., Iain.

I've been working on this for years after discovering just how many of my ancestors were making illicit hooch. I thought to myself: Are my family the black sheep of Kintyre? And discovered that it seemed that distilling your own whisky was fairly common. I plan to combine all the sources in one comphrehensive list. My family claim - in the best Whisky Galore tradition - that there are still jars of whisky hidden in remote glens and burns. All I need is a map...
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Amazing ! Lol ! When you’ve published your book..., count on me as being your first client. Signed of course ! :)

Let me tell you about an alcohol related aspect for “your book,” giving an insight into how easy it was for every-day Campbeltonian families to make their own tipsy-drink !
Note..., after the war in our mini thatched roofed cottage in the Outer Hebrides, my father was an expert potato and elderberry wine producer for the family and neighbours ! (potato = vodka)

For business reasons, I’ve already made 6 trips to Saudi Arabia and as everyone knows, alcohol is strictly forbidden in this Muslim world.
In the plane arriving at Riyadh, the air hostess distributes a card to be filled in and it must accompany the passport before leaving the airport. All sorts of questions are asked but there are two principal sections. One is drug related of course, (in red) mentioning that anyone found in possession of drugs will be decapitated. The second concerns alcohol and it stresses the fact that it’s totally prohibited to enter the country with any alcohol related products.
On my first trip, I had bought a box of Belgian chocolates for someone..., and because some of the chocolates had a cherry alcohol content, the box was confiscated at the control point. Probably eaten later by the same pretentious Muslim officer who had confiscated them.

At the Belgian Embassy. The Commercial Attaché had organized a meeting and I was asked what I wanted to drink. Naive, and following advice from a pre-visit KSA conference..., I asked for a mint tea. The butler then arrived with a tray of assorted glass sizes and colours..., next to my cuppa. I looked at him and smiled. “Monsieur” he said..., “here in the Embassy, we are on Belgian territory and as such, we are allowed to drink alcohol.” (legal alcohol in Saudi Arabia)

With a KSA business friend !
Before dinner, his wife served an assortment of aperitif biscuits and preparations. To drink, once again, all sorts of coloured drinks could be seen..., from “water-whisky” colours to rose to light brown and in all sorts of glasses; as, in the embassy. Cutting a long story short, I was invited to admire a highly decorated cupboard that contained at least 30 different bottles of whisky.

Back in Belgium, I found a two-page Internet commentary concerning life in Saudi Arabia, 1000 years before printing was invented in Iraq. ( before the Quran of course..., lol !)
At the time, and ever since the Pyramids, every family in the region knew how to turn milk to alcohol..., thanks to yeast. And whisky was only a short step away by depriving the community of bread !

As such, how can we criticize our Campbeltonian ancestors for producing a “lighting fluid”* which at the same time was also used as a tipsy-drink for comfort-moments during the long harsh Argyllshire winters. (with no double-glazing and no more dry peat to burn)
The law-makers in the Town Hall of course had all the “Springbank” taxes to keep them, warm !

* My father used to work in the Springbank distillery and when I was about 10 years old, I distinctly remember him lighting a wood fire using whisky. Doubled up laughing he was with a colleague friend.
In addition, after leaving Longrow and moving on to Loch Boisdale, Campbeltown whisky was also used in the Tilley lamp of our two-roomed cottage when we ran short of paraffin. So he told me !

Hope you’ll find some black sheep Blacks or McArthur’s somewhere with a still-list ! Lol ! :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Dunc R » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Just in case the ancient art has been forgotten:

http://www.expats.org.uk/features/alcoh ... flame.html
Dunc R
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Kintyre Genealogy