Hector McNeil & Catherine McMillan - Campbeltown

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Hector McNeil & Catherine McMillan - Campbeltown

Postby darylr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi,

I have some ancestors on my dad's side of the family who came from Campbeltown circa 1770-1796.
I'm trying to find out when Hector McNeil (my 4 x gt grandfather) & his wife Catherine McMillan married. Their children
were all born in Campbeltown.

James b. 14 Aug 1788
Donald b. 28 May 1793
Donald b. 31 Aug 1794
Hector b. 23 Nov 1796

I've found an entry for one his children which states that the birth was 'lawful', but have failed to find anything on SP or
familysearch. My brother says he's convinced that they came from Barra, but don't know how he knows that seeing as no-one apart from myself has researched the family.

Can anyone help me find any info on them and where they may have come from :? ?

Thanks,

Daryl Rodger
darylr
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Hector McNeil & Catherine McMillan - Campbeltown

Postby Iain » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Dayrl ! Welcome to The Kintyre Forum. :)

You're quite far back there so you're surely a bit of an expert. Personally, I found quite a lot about the children and so on, but nothing much about the parents. Sorry !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Labruin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Daryl

I am also looking for MacNeill ancestors in C'ton and have a few records. From 'Births in C'ton 1794 - 1815' at the Lochgilphead Archives I can see [ sadly ] just one of those you mention :

The record I have is that Hector was born 29 Nov 1796 the son of Hector & Katherin McMillan.

I don't know why none of the others show up - mean the 2 Donald's. When did they leave? I guess the first Donald died. I can look for the kids marriages and their kids in case that helps but maybe they left before any such events are recorded in C'ton?

Not much progress there! I have some more records at home so I'll check later. I guess you tried spelling variations - I failed with an Elisabeth as I had only checked Elizabeth and the MacNeill's can come out as Niel, Neal etc, etc.
Labruin
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Shona » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:52 pm

McNeil can be recorded as McNeillage (and variant spellings). Family Search have a McNeillage birth in C/Town on 16 April 1753. Father: Robert McNeillage. Might be a lead.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Kintyre Genealogy