McMurchy/MacMurchy/McMurchie & Malloy/Milloy Help :)

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McMurchy/MacMurchy/McMurchie & Malloy/Milloy Help :)

Postby Murch » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:47 am

Hello from Canada!

I'm on the hunt for where my researching of the McMurchy line stops dead in Kintyre.

Sooo, essentially a group of McMurchy's departed Scotland from the Killean/Kilchenzie area ~1825, ending up in Maple, Ontario, Canada. How they got to North of Toronto from a route/ship standpoint - unknown at this time. I have a James McMurchy(ie) who married a Martha Malloy on 12 Dec 1820 in the Kilchenzie area (location unknown).

James McMurchy
b. ~1801 Killean & Kilchenzie Parish
d. 19 Feb 1854 in Vaugh Twp, Ont Canada

Martha Malloy
b. 9 Apr 1800 Campbelltown
d. 26 Feb 1848 Vaughn Twp, Ont Canada

I know that Martha Malloy was d/o Neil Malloy & Isabella Watson, s/o Malcolm Milloy. Neil Malloy and James McMurchy farmed across the road from each other in Maple, Ontario Canada.

What I need help from my Scottish (and worldwide) friends is to crack the father of James McMurchy mystery. Who was he? That finding will open the door to finding out James' siblings, and hopefully a "boatfull" of more McMurchy's/MacMurchy's/McMurchies that I can call family. :D

Any information at all (regardless of how petty it may be) would be greatly appreciated. Help me crack the code!!

Cheers!

Murch
Ontario
Canada
Murch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McMurchy/MacMurchy/McMurchie & Malloy/Milloy Help :)

Postby skrik » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 am

Have you looked at www.ralstongenealogy.com where you can view the alphabetical listings of names in the various Kintyre graveyards inc. the dates and ages of the deceased.
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Iain » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Murch ! Welcome to the Kintyre Forum !

James McMurchy
Birth 1801 in Killean & Kilchenzie Parish, Argyll, Scotland
Death 19 Feb 1854 in Vaughan Twp, York County, Ontario, Canada

Marriage to Martha Malloy
1820 12 Dec Age: 19
Killean And Kilchenzie, Argyll, Scotland

Burial
St Andrew's Presbyterian Cemetary, Maple ON
Located: PLOT 77 James McMurchy A native of Argyleshire, Scotland d. 19 Feb 1854 (48 yrs) Martha, wife of James McMurchy d. 26 Feb 1846 (46 yrs) Erected by Archey McMurchy

Children:
Isabella McMurchy 1822 – 1900
Mary McMurchy 1824 – 1840
Archibald McMurachy 1826 – 1898
William McMurchy 1828 – 1851
Neil McMurchy 1830 – 1850
Elizabeth McMurchy 1832 – 1867
James McMurchy 1834 – 1852
Dugald McMurchy 1836 – 1888
Martha McMurchy 1838 –
Mary Jane McMurchy 1840 –

James’s Father !

James McMurchy
Birth 13 Feb 1772 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Death 2 Sep 1826 in Brown, Ohio, United States
First wife... Agnes:
Second wife Margaret Langlands married on the 2nd September 1800.
Children:
Sarah McMurchy 1800 – 1839
William MacMurchy 1801 – 1832
George McMurchy 1803 – 1862
John McMurchy 1805 – 1875
James MacMurchy 1807 – 1862
James MacMurchy 1807 – 1862
Jeanette McMurchy 1809 – 1881
Alexander McMurchy 1811 – 1852
David MacMurchy 1813 – 1888
Peter McMurchy 1813 – 1856
David McMurchy 1813 –
Peter MacMurchy 1813 – 1888

James’s Grandparents:

William Daniel McMurchy
Birth 1744 in Campbelltown, Scotland
Death 1814
Marriage to Janet Clark on the 1st of June 1769... Campbeltown.
His death 1814.
Children:
Janet McMurchy 1770 – 1853
James McMurchy 1772 – 1826
Martha MacMurchy 1778 –
Robert McMurchy 1781 –
Agnes McMurchy 1783 –
Elizabeth McMurchy 1786 –
Douglas MacMurchy 1788 – 1826

James’s Gr Grandparents:

William McMurchy
Birth 1722 in Campbelltown, Scotland
Death ?
Wife… Martha Sheddon: b1723.
Child:
William Daniel McMurchy 1744 – 1814

Please verify ! :wink: ..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Murch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm

It looks like I left my 'public' ancestry.com account that was a work in progress open.

Sadly, all that information except for James and Martha's is incorrect. I had a chance to speak with other researchers and they mentioned that that info doesn't fit.

Thanks for the help, but plz nobody use that info...

Does anyone in the Campbelltown area know a geneologist(s) that are able to go through the archives at Kilchenzie parish (if it is still there/exists?) that would prove the James Martha marriage document? Perhaps the James' father is listed on that document.

Cheers!
Murch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Trial and error ! :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby gizmo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Does anyone interested in the McMurchys know anything about Ex-Provost James McMurchy and his wife Mary Primrose or his son Ian who was killed in WW1.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm

The marriage of James McMurchy and Martha Milloy in Killean and Kilkenzie parish on 12 December 1820 is on Scotland's People. It's pay per view if you want to look at the image, but it is unlikely to tell you anything about parents.

There is a birth record for Martha Molly born/christened 10 April 1800 in Campbeltown to Neil Molloy and Isabell Watson on Scotland's Poeple, as well.

However, there are a lot of Milloys in Killean and Kilkenzie - I'm descended from them. Several were involved in illicit whisky distilling in the 1820s, some of then fleeing to Canada to avoid imprisonment.

I'm also descended from McMurchys, but that is another branch of the tree!
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:19 am

Shona wrote:Several were involved in illicit whisky distilling in the 1820s, some of then fleeing to Canada to avoid imprisonment. :lol: Interesting:

Hi Shona..., welcome to the Kintyre Forum.

I’m anticipating a soon-to-be family question..., “what do you want for Christmas darling”? :) I was thinking about asking for a membership to Scotland’s People. How much does it cost for one “pay per view” image ? And does the site only cover Scotland ?

Thanks..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Malloy/Milloy/McMolloy

Postby Labruin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Murch

I am interested in the name McMolly and it’s variants [ Molloy, Milloy ]. I think the original gaelic name was Mac Gille Mo Luag meaning that at some point an ancestor was an adherent / follower of St Moluag. Like McGilchrist [ Christ ] & McCallum [ St Columba ] .

I have some records from Kintyre of the family although they are mostly after 1800 odd and can check these but can you please add some more about the ancestors of your Martha as this may help me link up at least 2 trees. I have a small tree taken from these records starting with your Neill & Isobel Watson down to Archibald & Flora Blue and their kids. You say Neil’s father was Malcolm but do you know Neil’s mothers name [ Malcolm’s wife ] ?. How do you know that Neil’s father was Malcolm?

I have also been trying to put together my line perhaps going to the farms along the west coast towards Gigha but it really is difficult. Some Molloy / Milloy were ‘ newcomers ;’ from Ireland. My ancestor Archibald McNeill was born in Campbeltown 1746 and married there on 10 July 1772 a woman named as Mary McMolloy. In later records she appears as Mary / Marrian / Merron / More and surnamed McCallum. On her daughter’s death certificate she was shown as McAuley! So, there may be some doubt as to her correct surname. She may be the sister of the Malcolm Molloy who married Mary McCuilkan? In fact your Neil could be a sibling of both as could Archibald Molloy bapt Campbeltown in 1770.

All the best
Labruin
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 am

Labruin..., welcome to the Kintyre Forum. :)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Labruin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Iain

Thanks. Hope some folks out there are interested in the MacNeill and MacMolloy families although there do not seem to be any so far on the forum. Yet Kintyre was heavily populated by the former. Maybe they have all long gone.

I had a quick look at the forum rules and I think I can see you can upload photos but can you upload documents? I mean pdf's? I guess I can upload by copy paste a largish text taken from a pdf or other file but I won't if I am not supposed to or if it will cause a problem. As of now I am not ready to upload but wanted to sort out the how just in case.

Thanks
Labruin
Labruin
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 am

Hi Labruin ! I think that's a question for Admin. I'm computer shy ! :lol:

Emdee will surely be able to reply ! Perhaps you could PM him !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 am

Iain wrote:
Shona wrote:Several were involved in illicit whisky distilling in the 1820s, some of then fleeing to Canada to avoid imprisonment. :lol: Interesting:

Hi Shona..., welcome to the Kintyre Forum.

I’m anticipating a soon-to-be family question..., “what do you want for Christmas darling”? :) I was thinking about asking for a membership to Scotland’s People. How much does it cost for one “pay per view” image ? And does the site only cover Scotland ?

Thanks..., Iain.

Scotland's People - it's £7 for 30 credits. To view one page of a search costs 1 credit with 5 credits needed to view a document. I tend to narrow down what I'm looking for by using Family Search (free) and Ancestry, for which I have a subscription. Otherwise, SP eats up those credits. Only Scotland is covered on SP. You can view transcripts of Scottish censuses on Ancestry and Find My Past. Family Search has transcripts of both ensures, bmd records and OPRs.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Just checked through the Inhabitants on the Duke of Argyll's lands in Kintyre, 1792.

I only have Killean parish, but the following may be of interest:

Belochgoichan

John McMurchy, 53
Janet McMichell, 27
Archibald McMurchy, 20
Mary McMurchy, 16
Ann McMurchy, 3
John McMurchy, 1

Also there's a whole clan of Watsons living at Belochgoichan, too:

John Watson, 29
Marian Watson, 28
Ann Watson, 20
Pegy Watson, 7
Mary Watson, 5
David Watson, 3
Marion Watson, 1

James Watson, 21
David Watson, 19

Cathrin Watsib, 32
David Watson, 35
Mathew Watson, 12
John Watson, 10
Robert Watson, 8
Peggy Watson, 6
Isobel Watson, 5
James Watson, 3
David Watson, 1
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Board Admin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Labruin wrote:I had a quick look at the forum rules and I think I can see you can upload photos but can you upload documents? I mean pdf's? I guess I can upload by copy paste a largish text taken from a pdf or other file but I won't if I am not supposed to or if it will cause a problem. As of now I am not ready to upload but wanted to sort out the how just in case.

You can upload images, archives (.zip .rar etc), and documents like pdf's and most Microsoft Office files. Maximum file size is 1.5Mb with a maximum of 3 files per post. You can also link to images if you have them on photobucket or similar and use the Img code to display them in the forum. Hope that helps.
Board Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy