Keith/McKeith

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Keith/McKeith

Postby sl7023 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello, first post from me, delighted to have found this Forum.

I'm working on my family tree and wonder if anyone can help me ? I believe my great, great Grandfather was an Archibald Keith (or McKeith) who, according to a death certificate I've found, died on the 2nd October 1903 in Campbeltown. He was 75 years of age and was "found dead on the road". According to the 1901 census, he lived in 84 Dalaruan Street with his daughter, Elizabeth, an Elementary School Teacher and son James, an apprentice Joiner. It is James that I'm descended from.

From the information I've gathered, he was a gardener or general labourer and was married twice - firstly to Mary Quintin, then to a Catherine McArthur, both of whom appear to have pre-deceased him. I believe James' mother was Mary Quintin. Archibald's parents were John McKeith, a shepherd and Mary McKeith (nee Munro)

I'd be delighted to know if anyone on this forum is aware of the family and if there's anything further they can add to what I know already.

Many thanks in anticipation.
sl7023
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Keith/McKeith

Postby sl7023 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 am

Further investigations suggest the surname was McKeich, rather than McKeith. It appears that it was not unusual for surnames to "evolve" at that time - in this case, from McKeich to Keith.

Any further information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated....
sl7023
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi there ! Welcome to the Kintyre Forum !

I had a look for McKeich “flavour of the day” lol, and only found one that reasonably corresponds with the names you provide.
Unfortunately, the tree is not very well detailed and as you are the only one with the exact death date, I had to use his birth year of 1828 to find the family.

Archibald McKEICH
Birth 1828
Death
-------------------------
Father John McKeich…, no dates :
Mother Mary Munro..., no dates :
Their children:
Archibald McKEICH 1805 –
Christina McKEICH 1806 –
Alexander McKEICH 1809 –
Margaret McKEICH 1812 –
Mary McKEICH 1814 –
Katherine McKEICH 1816 –
Grace McKEICH 1817 –
Francis McKEICH 1820 –
Mary McKEICH 1822 – 1884
John McKEICH 1826 –
Archibald McKEICH 1828 –
---------------------------------
Archibald’s Grandfather... Archibald McKeich : No dates or details for a wife.
Children of Archibald the grandfather.
Archibald McKEICH marriage to Jean Kelly on the 3rd of Feb 1802. (7 children)
John McKEICH wife Mary Munro and 11 children.
Dougal McKEICH 1773 – before 1851: Wife Margaret McWilliam 1775-1855 and 10 children.

-------------------------------------

..., Iain. :wink:

PS Something which interests me about your tree is the second marriage to Catherine McArthur and living in Dalaruan Street 84. My Great Grandfather was a McArthur living in Dalaruan St. (house name Arthur’s Seat) and he had a daughter called Catherine and no clue as to a husband. Unfortunately she was born 1889. When he died she was only 12, but I know there were other MacArthurs on that Street/Terrace.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sl7023 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:58 am

Managed to track down the attached from the Courier of 10th October 1903. Delighted to read that my great great grandfather was well respected in the community (unless that's some kind of euphamism !!)
Attachments
Courier Oct 10th 1903.jpg
Courier Oct 10th 1903.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 10449 times
sl7023
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi there ! Something which I find more interesting is how you got access to the 100 year old newspaper ? Lol ! I'd be extremely interested in finding out: Thanks in advance..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sl7023 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Iain,

Copies of the Courier are held both at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh and at the Library in Dunoon (copies may also be held at the Campbeltown Library, but I can't say for certain). Anyway, I had e-mailed the Library in Dunoon and a very helpful Librarian there managed to find and send me the cutting which I attached to my earlier e-mail. I wasn't really expecting it, so it was a very pleasant surprise ! Indeed, she had done some further research to find if she could find an Obituary following the death notice, sadly to no avail.

I also wrote to the National Library who advised that they are able to make the actual newspapers available for viewing, albeit that I had to give them 48 hours notice.

Suggest you get in touch with Dunoon if you're looking to find something from the Courier in days gone by !

Regards
sl7023
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi ! Sorry..., don't know your name!

Extremely interseting ! I'm quite sure that many here will be extremely interested by your reply. (I mean accessing the newspaper) By the way, do you have an e-mail address for Dunoon ?
Thanks in advance..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sl7023 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Iain, the lady who was very helpful to me was Eleanor McKay, who is the Information & Local Studies Librarian. Her e-mail address (which I hope she won't mind me giving out) is Eleanor.McKay@argyll-bute.gov.uk.

The following web page gives more details, including all of the newspapers/periodicals they have copies of http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/node/32782#newspapers

Happy hunting !

Regards.
sl7023
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks "Sl," very kind of you. I'll study the URL first before getting in touch. Pity it's not all on line. Have a nice evening..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sl7023 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Glad I could be of assistance Iain. Have a good evening too.
sl7023
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy