McKinven / McCulloch / McMillan Request

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McKinven / McCulloch / McMillan Request

Postby gray_marian » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi there,

I am Marian McKinven Gray and I am looking to trace anyone from my Great Grandparents family tree.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=13792
Lawrence McKinven 02/08/1874 - 04/07/1950 (fisherman) C' town. last address with Catherine was 5, kirk st C'town.
Mary McCulloch (first wife) 20/01/1879 - 11/05/1914 (orphan) C'town, born and bred-92,Lorne st-36,Main st,-13, Bolgam st.
Jeannie McCulloch (their daughter) 28/03/1900 - 28/02/1949 born in C'town died in Royal Infirmary, Glasgow
Catherine McMillan (second wife) born 1871 ? All I know abt Catherine is her address, Lady Mary Row, at the time of her marriage to my Gt Grandfather Lawrence on the 11 aug 1916.

If you would like to get in touch I would be greatful to hear from you

Best wishes
Marian
Last edited by gray_marian on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: McKinven / McCuloch / McMillan Request

Postby Iain » Tue May 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Marian..., and welcome !
Here’s perhaps a couple of parents:

Father: Donald McKinven (1881 census)
Birth 1841 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Death abt 1886 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland

Mother: Janet B Sharp
Birth 1834 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Death 1890? in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland (fishhawker/landlady)

Note: Lawrence had a sister called Janet b1878.
There’s also a difference in spelling his daughter..., “Jeame.” ??
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby drollyin » Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi,

My names Walter McCulloch, currently living in Carradale.

My dad is John G McCulloch and has McMillan connections
drollyin
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: McKinven / McCulloch / McMillan Request

Postby gray_marian » Tue May 01, 2012 1:35 pm

drollyin wrote:Hi,

My names Walter McCulloch, currently living in Carradale.Iamtrying

My dad is John G McCulloch and has McMillan connections

Hi Walter, thank you for replying so quickly.there is no blood connection with the C. McMillan family, as I am not aware of any children from their marriage, however he did sire eight from his first wife! so that would be a huge surprise.Trying to locate family of Catherine in the hope of finding some old photographs. as to the McCulloch side, I have them coming from Ireland [presume from the north!] born abt1790 so I will trail back and see what I can find.
Last edited by gray_marian on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby drollyin » Tue May 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi,

My mum & dad did a bit of research a couple of years ago.

Our McCullochs are all descended from John McCulloch and Sarah McClouwnan(?) from Straiton in Ayrshire.

So not sure if it would be the same family etc.

Walter
drollyin
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Tue May 01, 2012 3:17 pm

[quote[/quote]
Iain wrote:Hi Marian..., and welcome !
Here’s perhaps a couple of parents:

Father: Donald McKinven (1881 census)
Birth 1841 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Death abt 1886 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland

Mother: Janet B Sharp
Birth 1834 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Death 1890? in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland (fishhawker/landlady)

Note: Lawrence had a sister called Janet b1878.
There’s also a difference in spelling his daughter..., “Jeame.” ??

Hi Iain, Thank you so much for your responce.I have managed to trace the McCulloch's to 1790, although not in great depth.I am aware of lawrence's siblings four boys before him two of which died early, and of the misspelling of my grandmothers' name which of course should be Jeanie and not what the registrar wrote! this may have been caused by my Gt, Grandfathers' dulcet tones or perhaps the registrer was not local!.....However at present I am very keen to trace the descendants of Lawrence's Nephew D S McKinven who signed the Register of Death and resided at 18, Cross Street Campbeltown in the 1950's,as I am desperate to locate any old photographs or stories.The only picture I have of lawrence is that of his British Mercantile Marine Identity and Service Certificate in1918 and one of his wife, Mary pre marriage, taken in J. E. Purves Pier Studio in the Town. I hope you do not think I have a tremendous cheek supplying all of this information to your goodself in the hope you cannot resist the challenge!...Yours in anticpation, marian.
Last edited by gray_marian on Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Tue May 01, 2012 3:40 pm

drollyin wrote:Hi,

My mum & dad did a bit of research a couple of years ago.

Our McCullochs are all descended from John McCulloch and Sarah McClouwnan(?) from Straiton in Ayrshire.

So not sure if it would be the same family etc.

Walter

Hi Walter,Had a quick look back on my notes, and no sign of John or Sarah in my line.Thank You for your trouble.Marian
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby JOEMAC » Wed May 02, 2012 6:55 am

Hi Marian,
Lawrence McKinven born 2 August 1874 in Campbeltown, was my 2nd. cousin once removed.
His parent`s were Donald McKinven & Janet Sharp.
He married [1] Mary Stewart Murray McCulloch on 23 July 1900 in Campbeltown and they had 3 children
Jeanie McKinven,Henry McCulloch McKinven & Alexander McCulloch McKinven.
He married [2] Catherine McMillan on 8 August 1916 at Campbeltown,they had no children.
He died on 4 th. of July 1950 in the Cottage hospital,Campbeltown.
I did send you PM regarding your posting.If you would like to get in touch i have included my e-mail address in the PM or you can keep in touch through the forum.I have a lot of information on the family and their descendants so hopefully we can exchange information.
Hope to hear from you.
Cheers,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia [formerly from Dumbarton ]
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gray_marian » Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Joe, Thought you would like to know Lawrence and Mary had eight children in all.Only my G/mother Jeanie survived into adulthood.She left C'town abt 1917, became a wife,mother and widow in 1918, spouse Samuel Fleming died of his wounds in Flanders.Jeanie remarried in 1919 to my G/father and had another five children all are now deceased, my Father, being the youngest.......If you don't mind I would rather keep on this site for the time being as it saves me having to repeat everything to distant cousins.....Thank you again Marian.
Last edited by gray_marian on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby JOEMAC » Thu May 03, 2012 4:57 am

Hi Again Marian,
My records show that Lawrence & Mary had 3 children so i would appreciate it if you could give me the details of the other 5 children.
My records show that you were born Marion McKinven Dalgleish on 10 August 1957 in Eastern District Hospital,Glasgow the daughter of Ronald Dalgleish and Alice Hood Bradley.
You married Gordon Gray on 19 May 1978 in Glasgow and have 3 children,Gordon,Ashley & Victoria.You are my third cousin twice removed.Are any of your children married yet.
I read somewhere that Jeanie and Samuel Fleming had a child born after his death.I cannot remember where i read that at present,do you know anything about that.
If there is anything you would like to know just ask.
Keep in touch,
Cheers,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gray_marian » Sat May 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi Joe, Nearly choked on my glass of wine[ a wee cheeky Australian merlot, no pun intended,] when I saw all my present day details on the page for all and sundry to read, and not just the good folk of C'town either, I assumed we would only discuss the long gone!......Now to answer your questions.The eight children of Mary and Lawrence are as follows: 1st Jeanie McKinven my Gandmother, born 28 mar 1900, died 28 feb 1949. 2nd Janet Sharp McKinven born 3 aug 1901, died 4 nov 1901. 3rd Donald McKinven born 19 aug 1902, died 25 april 1905.4th Henry McCulloch McKinven born 6 july 1904 died 10 jan 1906. 5th Janet Sharp McKinven [2] born 3 feb 1906 died 30 oct 1919. 6th Lawrence McKinven born 2 april 1907 died 5 oct 1908. 7th Alexander McCulloch McKinven born 12 oct 1909 died 12 nov 1911. 8th Mary Murray McKinven born 3 may 1912 died 20 nov 1915. The last two Children were born in 13, Bolgam St, all the rest were in 36, Main St, C'town. None of my children are married yet, as for Jeanie and Samuel's child, who has since died both Grandchildren very much alive, so I would have to asktheir permisson first.I don't think dates would matter, but I'll come back to you on that. The one, in Canada reads The Forum. Toodle Pip, Marian.
Last edited by gray_marian on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby JOEMAC » Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 am

Hi Again Marian,
So sorry about posting your info on the forum but i did not think that it would matter as i was able to obtain it without any problems through a researcher in Glasgow who finds items for me from time to time so it is basically in the public domain.Anyway i will refrain from posting any other "live " info on your family on the forum[that is the idea of PM`s]
Thank you so much for the details on the other children of Mary & Lawrence i will get my researcher to check them out.
It must have been heartbreaking for them to lose all of those children so young.
As for me,my connection to the McKinven family is through the marriage of my great grand aunt Mary McMillan to Lawrence McKinven married in January 1830 in Killean & Kilchenzie.
I am a direct descendant of Mary`s brother John McMillan [my great grandfather] born Killean & Kilchenzie in 1812.He married his second wife Girzel/Grace Blue on 12 Dec. 1848 in Campbeltown and their son, John McMillan born 1849 in Campbeltown, was my grandfather.
He married Mary Morrison in Liverpool on 12 January 1876 and moved to Dumbarton and had several children one of whom,Charles McMillan born 1892 in Dumbarton was my father.Charles married his second wife Sarah Hume on 19 September 1927 in Glasgow and lived in Dumbarton having several children, one of whom was me, Joseph Prentice McMillan,born 6 Dec. 1946 in Dumbarton.
I emigrated to Australia in 1968 and married Ellen DeLacey in Adelaide on 21 Dec. 1968.We had two children ,Linda born 1969 and William born 1971.Both are married and LInda has two daughters and William has one son.
As all of this info is available in the public records i have no problem disclosing it here.
You certainly have good taste in wines if you are drinking Australian wines.We live not far from the Barrossa Valley which is world famous for it`s wines.
Anyway if you want any other info on any of the family please just ask.If you can obtain that info on Jeanie and Samuel`s child and her children i would love to have it for my records.
Cheers for now,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gray_marian » Tue May 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi Joe, Re Jeanie and Samuel's Child and Grandchildren, I can tell you that the "child" died in the mid 1980's. Of the two Grandchildren one is estranged from the Family by choice! therefore, I am not at liberty to divulge their details.As for the other Sibling, I am waiting for their reply ,......I don't want to rock the boat as it where. Sorry I cannot be more helpful this time...Perhaps You could tell me if you know anything of Lawrence's [1872] siblings.ie the ones ' who survied into adulthood. John born 1865, James born 1871 and the 2nd Janet born 1877, also the middle intial B in the Mother's name, Janet B McKinven nee Sharp does this stand for Beith? When did she die? 1890?...Thankyou for your help. Marian.
Last edited by gray_marian on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby JOEMAC » Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 am

Hi again Marian,
Great to hear from you again.Regarding Jeanie & Samuels child,did she die in Scotland and were the grandchildren born in Scotland.I ask this, as i have a very good contact in Glasgow who does lookups for me and he would be able to obtain the details if the events took place in Scotland.
Regarding Lawrence`s [1874] siblings you ask about, i have the following info on them.
JOHN McKINVEN b. 4 July 1864 in Campbeltown.He married MARY McKAY on 17 Dec. 1884 in Campbeltown and he died on 6 July 1944 in Campbeltown.They had the following children that i know of.
MARY McMILLAN McKINVEN JANET SHARP McKINVEN
EDWARD McKAY McKINVEN DONALD McKINVEN [1]
JOHN McKINVEN DONALD McKINVEN [2]
JANE SMITH McKINVEN DANIEL McKINVEN
NEIL McKAY McKINVEN JAMES McKINVEN
CHRISTINA McKAY McKINVEN

JAMES SHARP McKINVEN b. 1870 Campbeltown.He married JANE WHITEFORD on 12 Sept. 1890 in Campbeltown and he died on 13 April 1942 in Campbeltown.They had the following children that i know of.
MARY CAMPBEL McKINVEN BERNARD JOHN McKINVEN
JOHN WHITEFORD McKINVEN KATE McKINVEN
DONALD McKINVEN JANE WHITEFORD McKINVEN
JAMES SHARP McKINVEN CATHERINE WHITEFORD McKINVEN
DANIEL McKINVEN

JANET BEITH McKINVEN b. 1877 Campbeltown[2nd of name in family,1st died in 1873]She married PETER SINCLAIR on 7 Oct. 1901 in Campbeltown and she died on 27 of JUuy 1951 in Hamilton,Lanark,Scotland.They had the following children that i know of.
JOHN SINCLAIR
MARY CARMICHAEL SINCLAIR

LAWRENCE`s mother JANET SHARP [born abt. 1836]may have had the middle name of BEITH as her mother was named JANET BEITH.I have no record of her having a middle name but she probably did have one.As far as i know she died prior to 1901.
I hope this is of help to you and i look forward to any information you may be able to provide.
Hoping to hear from you soon,
Cheers,
Joe.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gray_marian » Wed May 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Joe, Thankyou for the information regarding Lawrence's siblings,yea God, I'm almost sorry I asked,identical names keep coming up even in the same generation! Now as to my Aunt who I never met, she lived all of her adult life in England. As far as I know her children were born there too, but here's the killer! she married at least three times.Good Luck on that one. Bye For Now.Marian PS have you ever been to Campbeltown? and if not, do you plan to? just a thought. M.
Last edited by gray_marian on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy