McKinven / McCulloch / McMillan Request

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: McKinven / McCuloch / McMillan Request

Postby JOEMAC » Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Marian,
Glad the info i sent was of interest.Yes the Scottish system of naming can cause a lot of cofusion as you can get several children around the same age with the same names,it can take a bit of sorting out.
If there is anything else you need just let me know.I will probably have trouble locating info on your aunt but if you can provide anything i would appreciate it.
I visited Campbeltown in 2000 as i was recuperating from a heart attack so we thought we would go and visit the old country in case i was tempted to go back to work before i should.
It is a lovely wee town and i found the people to be very friendly.We travelled by bus from Dumbarton where i grew up and the scenery was magnificent so i would reccomend the trip to anyone.
Keep in touch,
Cheers,
Joe.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: McKinven / McCulloch / McMillan Request

Postby gray_marian » Thu May 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Joe,Finally got some information regarding Jeanie and Samuel's child.I'll post it on.. Toodle pip, Marian.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mack » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Just to say hello!
Hope you are keeping well Joe!
Marian - you have the right man in Joe if you are trying to trace your roots.

I am Alexander James McKinven.

Parents, Bernard John McKinven and Janet McIvor.
Grandparents - James Sharp McKinven and Jane Whiteford.
Great grandparents - Donald McKinven and Janet Sharp
Great-great-grandparents - Lawrence McKinven and Mary McMillan.

Happy hunting.

All the best.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gray_marian » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:31 am

Hi Mack, I have sent you a pm..Marian
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Jenmac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:25 am

Hi there,
This is more of a request about your McMillan links to the Campbelltown area but I do have a McKinven connection so I am hoping you may have come across something in your research. My ancestor, Archibald McMillan, had an older sister Catherine who married a Neil McKinven and after he died in Argyll (1841?) she settled in Elgin County, Ontario, Canada in 1848 to be near her children. Now in the McKinven posting on this site I came across Joy McKinven (a descendant of Catherine and Neil) who very kindly passed onto me a copy of a reunion about the McKinven (Love) family reunion in Canada but it also gave me some information about my ancestor's wife which I had not been able to find previously - that Archibald's wife, Katherine McTaggart's parents were John McTaggart and Sarah McKinven. In actual fact Archibald's oldest sister Catherine had married his wife's great uncle and Archibald and Katherine named their first son after him (Neil). The reunion also mentioned that Catherine McMillan (married to Neil McKinven/Love) was visited by two of her first cousins - Archibald and Donald McMillan who also settled in Canada in 1872. It is this family that I am now trying to trace. It appears that Donald was born in Southend (I believe it's near Campbelltown) in 1799 and Archibald was born around 1792. Donald married Jane McGill in 1846 and had 12 children. I was wondering if your Catherine or Mary McMillan had a connection with this branch of my McMillans who came from near Campbelltown? My Archibald was born in Skipness but he eventually settled with his family in Melbourne, Victoria in 1839.
Thank you,
Jenmac
Jenmac
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JOEMAC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Jenmac,
My connection to the McMillan`s from the Campbeltown area are through JOHN McMILLAN born 1812 in Achalochan,Argyll.His parents were DONALD McMILLAN and ANN McGILL.JOHN married GRACE BLUE at Campbeltownon on 12 December 1848 and they had the following children.
JOHN [my grandfather born abt 1849 Campbeltown]]
DUGALD b. abt 1851 Campbeltown
DONALD b. 1859 Campbeltown
MARION b. 1856 Campbeltown

Prior to Marrying GRACE BLUE, JOHN had married MARY STEWART on 11 June 1836 in Glasgow and they had the following children.
HUGH b. 1837 Campbeltown
AGNES b.1839 Campbeltown
HELEN b. 1841 CAmpbeltown

Apart from JOHN, my grandfather, I have no information on the other children from both marriages, some of whom may have emigrated to Canada.
Regarding the McKinven connection.The sister of my Great Grandfather JOHN McMILLAN was MARY McMILLAN born about 1802 at Killean,she married LAWRENCE/LAURENCE McKINVEN on 19 January 1830 at Killean and they had four children who went on to have a huge lot of descendants.
I would suppose some of them may have gone to Canada.
If you think we may have a connection, please let me know.
Hope to hear from you.
Cheers,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia [formerly of Dumbarton]
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jenmac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Joe,
So there is another connection with the McGill marriages as well. Donald McMillan and Jane McGill (he was about 28 years older than her) had the following children:
Alexander b.1847
Jean (Jane) b.1849
Duncan b.1850
Margaret b.1853
Archibald b.1854
Mizie (Mary?) b.1856
Neil b.1860
Donald b.1862
Isabella b.1862
Catherine b.1864
Flora b.1866
John b.1868
My ancestor Archibald McMillan b.1789 and Katherine McTaggart b.1795 had the following children:
Neil b.1818 (named after Neil McKinven)
Peter b.1819 (named after Archibald's father)
John b.1821 (named after Katherine's father)
Duncan b.1823
Alexanderb.1825
Donal b.1827 (died young)
Archibald b.1828 (my line)
Gilbert b.1830
Godfrey b.1834
Christina b.1837
William Kay b.1838
And the children of Peter McMillan b.1741 and Christina Taylor b.1760 were cousins of Donald McMillan but were all born around Skipness not Southend/Campbelltown:
Catherine b.1785 (she married Neil McKinven)
Marion b.1787
Archibald b.1789 (my line)
John b.1791
Janet b.1792
Flora b.1796
Christina b.1798
Mary b.1800
Peter then married Elizabeth Campbell and had:
Ann (Nancy) b.?
Elizabeth b.1814
So there are a few similar names but nothing definite as a link yet. I'll keep looking and let you know. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Jen McMillan
Jenmac
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JOEMAC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:48 am

Hi Jen,
That is an impressive list of names you have there,
My Great Great Grandfather DONALD McMILLAN born c.1700`s Argyll married ANN McGill and had the following children
JOHN b. 1812 [my great grandfather]married GRACE BLUE
MARY b. 1802 [married LAWRENCE McKINVEN]
CHRISTINA b. 1811
ARCHIBALD b. 1804
DUNCAN b. 1808
ANN b. 1810 [married DONALD McQUILKAN]
ROBERT b. 1816
BARBRA b. 1800 [married PETER McSPORRAN]

Do any of these link up with your line.
Hope they do !!!!
Cheers,
Joe.