MacLaoertys land, Corbetts Lane ?

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

MacLaoertys land, Corbetts Lane ?

Postby Iain » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi All ! Sorry to start this all over again..., but once again I’ve stumbled over a problem with a Campbeltown address. Of Course..., we’re talking about an 1891 census.

Below is Archibald Black’s details and as you can see, he and his family are lodgers at the James Wareham’s house in... MacLaoertys land, Corbetts Lane, Campbeltown. Where the hell is this ? Google maps don’t want to know. Google knows about Corbetts Lane from genealogy posts..., but that’s all ! For example... “My Ain Folk” http://www.myainfolk.ca/records/show/5286

Is there somewhere in Campbeltown where this type of question can be answered ? The Post Office for example ? (don’t forget that Emdee mentioned once that “Land” was the old Campbeltonian term for building)

Flemings Land / O’Neils Land / Ferguson’s Land / and now MacLaoertys Land. Is MacLaoerty an Irish name ?

Now knowing that the Black Family have their origins in Rathlin Island, http://www.rathlin-island.info/?q=node/34 (then before that via the McCurdy’s, the family stems back to Somerled 1270, the Lord of the Isles)

Following the potato famine and various illnesses, many Irish families made their way to Campbeltown. (a stone’s throw from Rathlin Island)
And to have buildings named after them..., they must have had money !!!

Thanks..., Iain.

1891 Scotland Census about Archibald Black

Name: Archibald Black
Estimated Birth Year: 1853
Relationship: Lodger
Spouse's name : Catherine Black
Where born: Campbeltown, Argyllshire (Argyll)
Registration number: 507
Registration district: Campbeltown
Civil parish: Campbeltown
Town: Campbeltown
County: Argyll
Address: MacLaoertys Land Corbetts Lane
ED: 17
Household schedule number: 130
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1891_165
Household Members: Name Age

James Wareham
Mary M Wareham
Joseph Wareham
Alexander Wareham
Janet Wareham
Maggie Wareham
Agnes Wareham
Thomas Glen
Archibald McNeilage
Marion McNeilage
Archibald Black
Catherine Black (Morrison)
Daniel Black
Catherine Black
Maggie M Black
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: MacLaoertys land, Corbetts Lane ?

Postby EMDEE » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Iain

If you lived in Longrow when you were young, you will know where Corbetts Lane was. It is the lane that was there before Burnbank Street came into existence, running from Longrow (opposite Burnside St) to Kinloch Road.

This post is of particular interest to me as I believe some of my ancestors are listed in it. The Janet Wareham who is listed as aged 17 is, I believe, my paternal Grandmother, which would make James and Mary Wareham my Great Grandparents.

That's all the info I can give you here, have to see if anyone else knows anything about MacLaoertys Land. Presumably it was a building in the lane which is now demolished? :?:

:D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Emdee ! This is an amusing coincidence ! Could our “gene”ology with your violin and my bagpipes have “stem”med from this house ? Lol ! (especially if the Warehams originated from the musical Rathlin Island..., the land of music and canntaireachd) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M893z11FuNU

I suppose this is the view..., but at the time the lane was probably similar to Coopers Lane just up the Longrow. I remember the pipe band did there rehearsals there on the left ! (obviously changed since)

Emdee..., why was my family living with yours ? Lol ! Was James Wareham from a rich background and did they have Irish decent ?
As he’s mentioned as head of the household, he either built the building or bought it..., I doubt if he’d be renting as there’s three different families present ! With a name like “MacLaoerty”..., there reason to assume that there’s some Antrim link there ! It’s not impossible to say that is was an idiot who filled in the census form to spell the name like that..., nonetheless, if you imagine the situation during that session, an Irish “twang” pronouncing MacLaverty could turn out to be MacLaoerty. (a bit like the mouth music... lol)
If both Blacks and Warehams originated from Rathlin, then they were probably friends. I do believe that Archibald Black died the same year as the census so he died in that house !
Last edited by Iain on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:12 am

Hi Emdee ! If I get the time today I’ll send you a private message containing your Wareham and Morrow tree back to 1861..., before that he'd be 14 and living with his parents. (the details are private so I suppose you don’t want them published here) The "M" in your grandmother's name stands for Morrow.
But what I can say here is that your musical talents now don’t originate from Rathlin..., but Liverpool ! Lol !! Ahhh..., now I get it..., so that’s why Paul McCartney settled down in Machrihanish ! :lol:

Reading the census reports, something else is evident. In fact, like my Alexander Black, your James was also a fisherman..., and I’m just about sure that if I research the two other families, they’re probably also fishermen. This means that your James not only owned the house, but probably a boat too..., and at the same time he installed his team under the same roof. (that’s professionalism !) Good idea when you think about it..., everybody would be up at the same time to start the day’s work !

ADDED LATER: Just checked..., the other two are not fishermen. One's a baker and the other is in the army.

PS Don’t forget that Liverpool has a strong Irish population. When in the army, we all left for Northern Ireland from Liverpool docks. (very close) So James still could have an Irish background !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Iain

Thanks for the PM and information.

As always with this kind of research, the more you find out the more questions arise.

Just a point, the Pipe Band Hall wasn't in Coopers Lane, it was in Diamond Vault, the other lane just a few yards further up Longrow. It was in a building that had been part of the Sawmill that was between Longrow and Kinloch Road.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Quite true Edmee ! And it's just about opposite 53 Longrow as Granny Black and myself would lean out of the window to watch them comming out.

If that's your family..., you have McArthur relatives following that tree where James and Mary are also Gr Grandparents. From Dunblane if I saw correctly.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy