Help Needed

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Help Needed

Postby michaela » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Hello Forum uses I'm in need of some help who has a research passion in there blood for a tuff task of the history of mull of kintyre and possible tarbert area.

I'm trying to trace my grandmothers roots her name is Mary (Molly to friends) Macmillan ( Deceased now)at this time she had 3 children names Anne, June, Allen, unmarried at this time. I have been told that in the village of kintyre that my nannas family have one of the largest a white spear shaped memorial to which is noticable from afare. also my nannas couson is suppose to be the last lighthouse keeper, princess anne had signed a book when she was there. in the late 1930s nanna moved the cheshire where she met my grandad Joe Bowden, together they went on to have 3 more children Kenneth, Carol and my Dad Joe. grandad joe a scrap dealer owned a crapyard on brinksway stockport.
I'm sorry about the little info given but thats all I know, as you can tell I some some help.

Thank you for taking the time in reading this post.
michaela
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Help Needed

Postby Iain » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Michaela ! Unless you’re extremely lucky with someone actually knowing these people..., you’re going to have to be more precise !

Eventually you could use Joe Bowden to start off. If he married in the 30s and came from Cheshire there’s the possibility he could be mentioned in the 1911 census. But once again..., Cheshire's a hell of a big place !! Also, he’d be a child in that census, so you’ll need to know the names of the family or at least an address. I looked at the 1911 census and there's literally hundreds of them !

Village of Kintyre ???
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby michaela » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:20 am

Aww thank you so much for the reply I really didn't think anyone would be able to help me.

I will have to have a good talk with my dad see if he knows anymore about nannas side of the family.
I have looked in the cen and grandad was born in 1915 that I am sure of.

is there anyway of finding out about nannas couson who use to work the lighthouse possibly from the 1920s,, that could be a start.
Kindest Regards
michaela
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:56 am

You’ve got a problem on your hands..., especially with not being able to pin-point a town. Find her death certificate and that will probably give you her parents ! Good luck !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Tom B » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:35 am

I'm always amazed at how this forum reconnects people now spread around the world. Keep bumping this post up, and if you can get any more info. that'll help too - change the subject of the thread to the family name "Looking for Macmillans" - so it catches the eye. You could also start another thread with a heading like "looking for the last lighthouse keeper" or "which cemetry has a white spear shaped memorial?" that might prompt another set of people to read your post and help you in your quest - good luck!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby michaela » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:51 am

thank you Tom,

I will do that, Im hopefull I will know more by this evening so I will post the info.

Thank you sooo much.XX
michaela
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy