Flemings Land and the McArthurs:

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Flemings Land and the McArthurs:

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10797

Cathwil..., that’s also very interesting ! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10788
My 3xgr Neil McArthur’s wife was from Glasgow, (they were both married there) but he’s untraceable in the Campbeltown 1861 and 71 census. Nonetheless, his son Neil, also a cobbler..., can be found in Barony, Glasgow, 1861. As such, it slowly looks as if Fleming (a Commander alongside Nelson before his death in 1815) could have had more than a simple proprietor-relationship than was initially thought.

Because of his disappearance, I was under the impression that Neil, (born 1796 in Tiree) had enlisted in the British navy for the 61 census !!
---------------------------------------------

Cathwil..., this is more than interesting.

It just dawned on me that the US General McArthur’s grandfather was born in Glasgow. Could Neil McArthur, being influenced by Flemings history as a naval commander have created such an important military family line. I’ll have to study this further !

And thanks..., Iain.

---------------------

General MacArthur:
Grandfather..., third Generation:

4. Arthur Macarthur was born in Glasgow, Scotland 26 Jan 1815. Arthur died 24 Aug 1896 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, at 81 years of age.

He married Aurelia Belcher in Chicopee Falls, Hampden, Massachusetts, about 1844. Aurelia is the daughter of Benjamin Barney Belcher and Olive.

Arthur Macarthur and Aurelia Belcher had the following child:

child + 2 i. Arthur2 Macarthur was born 2 Jun 1845.

-------------------
Having had time to study the dates, there's little to no licklyhood of there being a link..., but the names, dates and circumstances are worth pondering. What's more, it looks as if Arthur MacArthur emigrated to the US well before the 1841 census as he married in 1844 as lieutenant governor of Wisconsin. Well done that Scot !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy