Donald Brown (postman) and Mary McKinlay

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Donald Brown (postman) and Mary McKinlay

Postby jackwinch » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 pm

My wife's great-grandmother was Catherine Brown (born 1841), the daughter of Donald Brown (postman) and his wife Mary (ms McKinlay). She was one of 11 children. I think Donald Brown. with his wife and family, lived at a cottage near Torrisdale Bay. Her younger sister Margaret (born 1843), who married Neil MacDougall, was the great-grandmother of Neil ('Dona') MacDougall who lives at 'Duncrannag', Carradale.

My wife's father was Dr James Dunn (1918-2011) whose mother was Isabella Dunn (ms Blackburn), the daughter of Catherine Brown. The family used to spend their summer holidays in Duncrannag in the 1950s and 1960s. We met up with Dona at a recent visit to Carradale.

If anyone can fill in any background to the families, that would be great!
jackwinch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Donald Brown (postman) and Mary McKinlay

Postby SARID » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:03 pm

I think there is some confusion regarding the Macdougall Family
Mathew Macdougall (B 1832 ) married Mary McKinlay (B1840) from Whitestone in 1867, and they were the Greatgrandparents of Dona and myself.(I am very sure of my facts)
Mathew had an older brother Neil (B1826) Their parents were Duncan and Agnes ( nee Carmichael) Macdougall.
The 1871 census records Neil married to Betsy, who had been born in Kilcalmonell Parish. They lived at Tonnaduppin, now called South Dippen, and is at Torrisdale'
Duncan and Agnes had a daughter Mary who was 7 years old at the census in 1841
I hope this information may be of some help and not confuse the issue further
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:08 pm

SARID wrote:I think there is some confusion regarding the Macdougall Family
Mathew Macdougall (B 1832 ) married Mary McKinlay (B1840) from Whitestone in 1867
Duncan and Agnes had a daughter Mary who was 7 years old at the census in 1841
I hope this information may be of some help and not confuse the issue further

That was interesting Sarid ! Hope you get a reply ! :roll:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SARID » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm

I've been looking again at the MacKinlay family tree and have discovered there were two Mary MacKinlays!
Mary, whose father was Donald MacKinlay, married Donald Brown,(postman) They lived at Torrisdale. The other Mary, the daughter of Charles MacKinlay, married Mathew Macdougall (fisherman and boatbuilder) and they initially lived at Torrisdale and then settled in Portrigh, Carradale. Mary and Mathew were my Great grand parents. The two Marys were cousins as Donald and Charles were brothers
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:31 pm

SARID wrote:I've been looking again at the MacKinlay family tree and have discovered there were two Mary MacKinlays!
Mary, whose father was Donald MacKinlay, married Donald Brown,(postman) They lived at Torrisdale. The other Mary, the daughter of Charles MacKinlay, married Mathew Macdougall (fisherman and boatbuilder) and they initially lived at Torrisdale and then settled in Portrigh, Carradale. Mary and Mathew were my Great grand parents. The two Marys were cousins as Donald and Charles were brothers

There are more than two Mary McKinlays around!

My great-great grandmother was a Mary McKinlay who married Saddell and Skipness parish. She was from Killean parish, though.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby SARID » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Until recently I thought there was only one Mary MacKinlay-----my great granny,who was married to Mathew Macdougall.Who did your Mary Mackinlay marry in Saddell and Skipness parish,Shona ?
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Kintyre Genealogy