McKerrals of Southend

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McKerrals of Southend

Postby ianmcconnell » Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm

For some years, I've been "stuck" on my McKerral research, and couldn't get back beyond Edward McKerral and Mary Cowper, who were married at Southend on 31st December 1856. They had a number of children, one of whom, Robert (1858-1923) was my Great Grandfather.

The intriguing thing that I've just discovered, was that Edward (and all the children), were born as McIlheron, and they all changed to McKerral about 1883. I also have one instance of the name McIlchrean also being used.

Can anyone throw any light on this? I have some evidence that both Edward and Mary originated in Ireland (in Mary's case, Antrim).

If anyone has any information, or conversely, would like information on my research, I'd be pleased to hear.
ianmcconnell
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McKerrals of Southend

Postby Iain » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Ian ! Although you already have it, this is all I found. Note; in the IGI report, Mary is marked as being a Cooper. Couldn't find any details before or after the wedding in any of the census reports..., but I'm no expert !

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... .google.be
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy