McArthur/Gilchrist

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McArthur/Gilchrist

Postby dlk » Tue May 17, 2011 11:25 pm

I am looking for information about my great great grandparents. The records from back then are not plentiful but here is what I have pieced together so far.
Archibald McArthur (McArture,McArthure) married Katherine (Katy, Catrin) Gilchrist on 01 APR 1804, Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland. He was from Claonaig, she from Clachan. In the Skipness Old Parochial Records are several baptisms, with various spelling, for this couple:- Alexander(1805), Peter(1809), John(1812), Donald(1815), Katherine(1817), Duncan(1819), Jean(1821) and Angus(1829). There is an Archid. McArthur on a rent list for Skipness Estate at Clonag in 1814. These may or may not all pertain to the same family - corrections would be welcome!
In the mid 1800s Peter, John, Duncan and Katherine emigrated to Ontario, Canada along with their mother and Peter's wife Catherine McLennan. It is believed that their father,Archibald, died before they left. If all the baptisms were for the same family, other siblings either remained in Scotland, emigrated to somewhere else or died.I would love to hear from anyone who knows of this family, and especially anyone who still lives in Scotland. I am willing to share what I know of the Canadian contingent.
dlk
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McArthur/Gilchrist

Postby Iain » Sat May 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi dlk ! I thought I might have been able to help you but my McArthurs are elsewhere. (Campbeltown and Tiree) It's a pity we're not researching the same line as I have details of one of our families going to Canada.

If I were you, I'd sign up to RootsChat. They're an amazing bunch and would be delighted to help to out. In the Argyll section…, tell Monica that Iain from Belgium gave you the URL.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php You'll also find lots of compatriots there !

Good luck.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy