Harry Fairweather Lindsay

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Harry Fairweather Lindsay

Postby mwalker249 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Trying to trace some family history. My Grandmothers father was named Harry Fairweather Lindsay (or Scotty Lindsay). All I can gather from bits and pieces that other relatives have is that he was born in Scotland (shows as Campbelltown) in 1899 and came to the United States some time around 1919. I think he may have been in Canada first. From some documents that are very hard to read it looks like he listed his sister as living in Winnipeg. He married Lillian LaLonde, a Chippewa Indian (my grandmothers mother). My grandmother was born in 1922 in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan. Harry Fairweather Lindsay died in Detroit, Michigan in 1965.

Any information that someone could provide that ties my great-grandfather to the Campbeltown area would be greatly appreciated.

***Update- 3/25/2011 - It appears that Harry's fathers name may have been Joe Lindsay. No sister in Winnipeg either that I could tell. It was another Harry Lindsay, go figure. It feels like I'm chasing air. I cannot find anything on a Joe (or Joseph) Lindsay that had a son Harry that is from Scotland. Again, any assistance in this research is greatly appreciated.
mwalker249
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Harry Fairweather Lindsay

Postby STG » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 am

It appears that Henry Fairweather Lindsay was born in Perthshire in 1899. You can see a copy of the actual birth certificate on the Scotland's People web-site http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ for a small payment. In Scotland, the birth certificate will give the father's name and occupation, and the maiden name of the mother.

The reference on the Scotland's People web-site is
1899 LINDSAY HENRY FAIRWEATH M ALYTH /PERTH 328/0A 0046

There are, however, about a dozen Lindsay individuals mentioned on gravestones in Kilkerran cemetery, and about the same number spread around Kintyre, so the family could have moved to the Campbeltown area.

STG
STG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Kintyre Genealogy