Looking for Morran - McMillan - Hunter Campbeltown

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Looking for Morran - McMillan - Hunter Campbeltown

Postby MissKel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:51 am

Hello!

I am trying to trace some family history from the town but not really sure where to start - I have not had a lot of luck on the main ancestry sites finding records for my mum or her relatives. I am going to be visiting the town in the next few months and wondered if there were any local places that hold records which might give me some information to start off with.

My mum's name is Catherine (Irene) Butler (maiden name) born in 1946 in Burnside in the town (though she has moved away since) and my nan's maiden name was Helen McMillan Morran (born 1924) and she lived at one time in Davaar Avenue. My auntie was well known in the town although she passed away last year - her name was Helen 'Blondie' McClellan and she lived in the High Street for over 40 years. I also have an Uncle - John Butler - who has also moved out of the town many years ago.

My nan's parents were: John Morran and Ellen Hunter McMillan.

I would be really grateful for any help anyone can offer or suggest.
MissKel
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Looking for Morran - McMillan - Hunter Campbeltown

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Miss Kel,

The following was posted on the Kintyre Forum facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/kintyreforum

....Irene is on Facebook .. : Irene Wheeler , she lives in Waltham Cross ...a good friend of mine ...think Johnny Butler & Irene live near together ...hope that is of some help ...her email add ..cathiewheeler@yahoo.co.uk ... ..all the best x T
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MissKel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Lol Irene is my mum and John is my uncle! Thanks though :)
MissKel
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:34 am

Hi MissKel !

I looked at the 1901 census for John Morran/Moran from 1897 and found nothing in Campbeltown. (but there are a lot throughout Scotland)
I don't have access to the new 1911 census for Scotland but if you search http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/personquery4.php you'll find it a great site for local cemeteries with dates well after 1901. With a little patience, you might stumble over something…, a gravestone perhaps ! :lol:

PS You can also ask for photos from them.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby MissKel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Iain,

Thanks so much for the tip, that's really helpful, I'll have a look!

Cheers
K
MissKel
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Button4 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 pm

John and Blondie is my dad's cousin and our name is Morran and we still live in the town. Can i ask who this is?
Button4
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby MissKel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi,

Yes Blondie is my auntie, her sister Irene is my mum, but we live in London, I am trying to track back through the Morran line as my nan's maiden name was Helen Morran. I have been trying to trace her father back as I think he moved to the town from elsewhere.

if you can help in any way I would be really grateful!
MissKel
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Button4 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Are u Kelly? Irene is coming to stay with us on Thursday for the music festival, Tommy twin is my dad. I haven't a clue i would need to ask my dad becuase i never knew my granda Morran as he died so young :(
Button4
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby MissKel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah that's me haha small world yes my mum, john and nita are going up! My mum's told me much as she can remember but if your dad or Billy can remember any names or anything that would really help so much!

Thank you :o)
MissKel
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jdcarra » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:33 am

MissKel wrote:Yeah that's me haha small world yes my mum, john and nita are going up! My mum's told me much as she can remember but if your dad or Billy can remember any names or anything that would really help so much!

And here are the twins Tommy and Billy (frontline) who I cannot remember who's who despite growing up with them a few houses apart in Davaar Ave.

Doing their bit at the parade for Hms Campbeltowns visit earlier this year.

Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Button4 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:45 am

Dad is on his way home from Edinburgh cause they where at the tattoo last nite but i'll ask him to see if he can mind of anything. Not sure if Uncle John is coming tho hope he is cause we get a laugh with him :)
Button4
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Button4 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:47 am

jdcarra wrote:
MissKel wrote:Yeah that's me haha small world yes my mum, john and nita are going up! My mum's told me much as she can remember but if your dad or Billy can remember any names or anything that would really help so much!

And here are the twins Tommy and Billy (frontline) who I cannot remember who's who despite growing up with them a few houses apart in Davaar Ave.

Doing their bit at the parade for Hms Campbeltowns visit earlier this year.

Tommy is the one on the left. U can tell them apart cause one has hair on their face and the other doesn't ie Tommy is the one with the tash and Billy without :)
Button4
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Kintyre Genealogy