Agnes Colville

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Agnes Colville

Postby ali7ms » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:38 am

Can anyone please help me trace the forebears of Agnes Colvil or Colville who married Peter Fleming (b1809 son of John Fleming of Balivean and Janet Clark). I think she died in Glasgow between 1848 and 1851 but I cannot trace her parents. :?
ali7ms
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Agnes Colville

Postby Iain » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:56 pm

In the 1841 census, there's a Peter Fleming born 1811, civil parish Glasgow St Mungo, Drygate Street, with an Agnes 5 years younger. (he was a grocer)
Peter Fleming 30
Agnes Fleming 25
Charles Fleming 4
Janet Fleming 2
John Fleming 11 MO
Ellen Morton 15

In the 51 census he's mentioned as being born in 1809 but is now a widow..., and his 4-year old daughter is called Agnes. (obviously after her mother)
Peter Fleming 42
Charles Fleming 13
Janet Fleming 12
John Fleming 10
Mary Fleming 6
Agness Fleming 4
Elizab Nelson 55

This probably confirms what you already know !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Once again we have a John Fleming (father ?) in the 1841 census b1786 in Renfrewshire…, Carriagchill Pudding Lane, occupation… "Cotton HLW."

John Fleming 55
Janet Fleming 50
James Fleming 20
Magdalen Fleming 15
John Fleming 13

Please be very careful..., I'm no expert and I don't even know where Balivean can be found. Google backs me up ! :(
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:53 am

There's a farm near Campbeltown called Balivain, which is most likely what is being referred to :?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:13 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:There's a farm near Campbeltown called Balivain, which is most likely what is being referred to :?

Quite so…, there also seems to he a high and low Balevain. Not surprising she moved to Glasgow to die with only sheep as neighbours ! Looking at the map, I used to do a lot of cycling through that area when I was about 8 years old, to visit Bellochantuy…, I can even smell the rotting seaweed as I write ! For many modern-day reasons, I'd never allow my grandchildren to do the same. How times have changed ! :(
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ali7ms » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks folks. Have discovered Upper and Lower Ballivean (and its various spellings). Agnes is still a bit of a mystery. Are there any Fleming descendants still in the Campbeltown area? I think most of us have wandered away,some further than others. Maybe it's time to wander back. Would REALLY appreciate any information on those Flemings and those linked to them. I have done the census searches and BMDs!
ali7ms
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy