McPhails and McMillans of Drumlemble

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McPhails and McMillans of Drumlemble

Postby FionaMc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi
I am looking for any descendants of Daniel (aka Donald) McPhail and Agnes McQuikkan (Wilkinson) they were married in campbeltown in 1842 although they lived in Drumlemble. They were my greatgreatgrandparents. They are buried in Kilkivan cemetery. They had 3 children Daniel (Donald), Angus and Margaret who lived past infancy (possibly more). Margaret married Allan MacMillan (McMillan) in 1877 and became the mother of 9 children. The whole family emigrated to New Zealand between 1908 -1912. I would love to hear from any of their descendants..

thanks Fiona McMillan (Australia)
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: McPhails and McMillans of Drumlemble

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi Fiona.

Firstly..., you'll probably find that many of your ancestors were coal miners. Drumbemble was a mixture of farmers and pit workers. All my family came from there !

If you surf..., http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... esults.asp you'll certainly find the family name. Even using any name connected to Drumlemble and the date, will allow you to click on the "house-next-door," like that you can voyage arround the village. Good luck..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:22 am

FionaMc wrote:Hi
They are buried in Kilkivan cemetery.
thanks Fiona McMillan (Australia)

Hi again Fiona..., I sent you a private message. In the meantime, I found this in my bottom drawer of genealogy info.

Go to... http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/kilkivancemetery.php

McPHAIL, Agnes 671 9
McPHAIL, Andrew 657 9
McPHAIL, Angus 672 9
McPHAIL, Daniel, d.1878, 29yrs. 672 9
McPHAIL, Donald 671 9
McPHAIL, Donald, d.1856, 35yrs. 672 9
McPHAIL, Hugh, 671 9
McPHAIL, Hugh, d.1823, 55yrs 671 9
McPHAIL, John 671 9
McPHAIL, Mary 670 9

Good luck..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Doreen Edwards » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:53 am

Hello from Otago NZ... I am the great-granddaughter of Allan McMiillan and Margaret McPhail who arrived in NZ 1908. My grandmother was their 3rd child, Agnes, who married Duncan Smith and followed them to NZ in1912. You may like to contact the grandchildren of Allan McMillan and Margaret McPhail who have done comprehensive research on the Mcmillan history and family tree; Ian MacMillan -son of Allan jnr (ian.myrie@xtra.co.nz) and Margaret Stuart-daughter of Margaret- Maggie (russell-s@clear.net.nz).
The descendants of Duncan McKinnon Smith and Agnes Wilkinson McMillan are planning a centennial of arrival reunion, to honour our grandparents, at Easter 2012 and any family histories would be appreciated to include in a publication. We especially would like information on Duncan Smith, shipbuilder on the Clyde, (Dumbarton and Greenock) early in the 1900's ( and maybe a medal winning dancer). Prior, he lived in Campbeltown and his family was from Gigha. Would like to know where they were from before that. I can be contacted at doreenedwards69@hotmail.com Would love to hear from you....Doreen
Doreen Edwards
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:48 am

Hi Doreen ! I'll send you an e-mail !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby MattMcp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:26 pm

there are 3 head stones in Kilkivan cemetery that have the mcphail surname,im researching paternal line and Hugh McPhail 177? to 1826 is as far as I can trace my roots.

I will be at kilkivan again tomorrow to try and unravel some more info

Matt Mcphail
MattMcp
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby amanda » Tue May 21, 2013 4:14 am

I have just been in England talking to family about relatives in Australia. My g g grandmother had a half brother Richard Henry Malkin BUXTON (formerly EVANS) who emigrated to Australia (died 1947). He had two daughters born in Australia. The eldest was Annie Maud Buxton who married Daniel McPhail McMillan and the following is info I have if anyone is interested:
Annie Maud BUXTON born 1897 in the St Leonards area, NSW 1943, 1949, 1954 – 35 Albemarle Ave, Rose Bay, Sydney, NSW. 1958 – 8 Princess Street, Rose Bay, Sydney. 1980- 10 Princess Street, Rose Bay (living with Pam and Eric).
Annie married Daniel McPhail McMILLAN after 1936. Daniel was born c1880 and died 1961 (aged 80). He was buried 22 MAR 1961 in Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park, Sydney, NSW. 1919 – chauffeur at Parliament House, Tasmania. 1922 – chauffeur in Tasmania. Daniel McPhail McMillan divorced Frances Mary McMillan(formerly Chilcott nee Owens) in 1936. They had married in November 1922 in Hobart (issue = desertion) – Sydney Morning Herald. 1935 – Public Works Department, Hollyford, NZ, labourer. 1946 – Karapiro Hydro, NZ, storeman. 1949, 1954 – 35 Albemarle Ave, Rose Bay, Sydney, NSW. 1958 – 8 Princess Street, Rose Bay, Sydney.
Annie and Daniel had one daughter: Pamela Dawn McMillan married / divorced Eric McIntyre. Two daughters, one son. Patricia (Trish) Dawn McMillan – 1974 – 2006 (London).
amanda
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby FionaMc » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:56 am

Hi Amanda

Sorry about the two year delay but I haven't been here for a while. The family you have written about is related to me. Daniel McPhail MacMillan was my great-uncle. I met his daughter Pamela and her daughter in Sydney a few years ago.

Cheers
Fiona
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Kintyre Genealogy