McPhails and McMillans of Drumlemble

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McPhails and McMillans of Drumlemble

Postby FionaMc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi
I am looking for any descendants of Daniel (aka Donald) McPhail and Agnes McQuikkan (Wilkinson) they were married in campbeltown in 1842 although they lived in Drumlemble. They were my greatgreatgrandparents. They are buried in Kilkivan cemetery. They had 3 children Daniel (Donald), Angus and Margaret who lived past infancy (possibly more). Margaret married Allan MacMillan (McMillan) in 1877 and became the mother of 9 children. The whole family emigrated to New Zealand between 1908 -1912. I would love to hear from any of their descendants..

thanks Fiona McMillan (Australia)
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: McPhails and McMillans of Drumlemble

Postby Iain » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi Fiona ! Better late than never ! Lol !

Daniel McPhail
Birth in Argyll County, Scotland
Death in Drumlemble, Argyll, Scotland
Wife: Agnes McQuilkan (Wilkinson)
Daughter Margaret McPhail

His parents :
Archibald McPhail
Marion O'May

1851 Scotland Census about Donald Mcphail
Name: Donald Mcphail
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1822
Relationship: Head
Spouse's Name: Agnes Mcphail
Where born: Campbeltown, argyleshire
Parish Number: 507
Civil parish: Campbeltown
Town: Drumlemble
County: Argyll
Address: Drumlemble
ED: 2A
Page: 6 (click to see others on page)

Household schedule number: 17
Line: 6
Roll: CSSCT1851_108
Household Members: Name Age
Donald Mcphail
Agnes Mcphail

Marion Mcphail
Agnes Mcphail
Donald Mcphail

I found another Donald coalminer in Drumlemble in the 41 census, but he was too young..., 15 years old. And couldn’t find him in the 61 census..., perhaps they’d moved.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi Fiona..., thanks for the PM:

Not much more info I’m afraid as the tree mentioned 6 months ago seems to have disappeared.
Note; my personal family on my Grandfather Malcolm Black’s side in Campbeltown have O’May in the family..., and as can be deduced from the name, they originate from Antrim, Rathlin Island. So if you’re researching her in particular, I’d explore that region. "Hook" yourself up to the McCurdy's via that line and you'll find yourself back in Scotland with liks to the Lords of the Isles. lol !
http://irishgenealogy.net

Anyway, I’m looking at a MacMillan tree with Archibald McPhail and Marion O’May. Son Daniel with Agnes McQuilkan (Wilkinson) and daughter Margaret. (no dates..., but she did die in New Zealand)

Margaret married Allan McMillan b1855 Drumlemble. One son Archibald no dates but died in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty.

Archibald married Ellen Soloman and had a son called Colin McMillan.
... Colin Francis McMillan
Birth 27 January 1931 in Dunedin, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Death 31 October 2007 in Cleveland, Queensland, Australia

His wife and 4 children..., private:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby FionaMc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 am

Hi Iain

Thanks for this information. The McMillan's you mentioned are my family. Colin Francis McMillan was my father.
I live near Cleveland in Quuensland, Australia.
I will have a look at the O'Mays of Rathlin Island. I will have to consult a google maps too! Maybe we are related lol

Thanks again
Fiona
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby MattMcp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi Fiona

I am in campbeltown tonight and ive had a quick look in the old cemetary at drumlemble, from what i have found so far,there are three McPhail head stones all next to each other.My 6x great grand parents are buried there,Hugh McPhail and Mary McLean
hugh was born 1755 and died 1826, There is a strong possibility that your mcphails and my mcphails are related.

ive got McPhails in the USA and Canada all coming from Hugh McPhail and mary mclean,hugh was from Tirfergus,Mary from Drumlemble and the males were all coal miners,ive even got a picture of a coal mine that Hughs, great grandsons had in the USA.

Ive come up today from Lincolnshire and will be heading to Edinburgh tomorrow after having another attempt at reading the headstones.

Ill check to see if you have posted tonight
MattMcp
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby MattMcp » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi iain and Fiona

just to add to the confusion lol

there are three headstones at Kilkivan cemetery that mark graves of the mcphails these headstones are closely grouped together,so I think its safe to assume that they are relatives
The one that may interest you guys is

Errected by Agnes Wilkinson and son Angus in memory of her Husband Donald McPhail who died 6th of Aprill 18556 aged 35 also son Daniel who was drowned in Drumlemble pit july 1878 aged 29 and 2 of their children and one of Daniels who died in infancy.

The grave next that one contains my 6 times great grand parents Hugh McPhail and his Wife Mary Mclean

that one reads
Errected by John Mcphail collier,brothers hugh Donald and sister Effie in memory of their parents Hugh McPhail 1778 1822 aged 55 and Mary McLean ???? 1828 aged 60

the other headstone is in memory of John McKinon son of Hugh and Mary McPhail who died at Drumlemble 17th feb 1887 aged 1 year and 4 months

The hardest part of doing Mcphail geneology is that the same names keep coming up,Hugh,Rodger , Agnes etc , my G Grandfather was Hugh,i had an uncle called Hugh,i have found several with the same name.
MattMcp
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby FionaMc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Matt

Isn't it a wonderful cemetery. I went there around 4 yrs ago. I haven't been able to find the information I was looking for. Our Daniel (also known as Donald) father's name was Archie. I have been told by an elderly member of my family that our McPhails came from the Isle of Islay originally but I have never found any trace of them there. This may seem like a stupid question to ask a scotsman but do you have a history of bagpiping in your family. My family were mad keen pipers and pipe makers for generations and I was told it came from the McPhails....just a thought..
Did you see the pic of Margaret McPhail I sent to you? I think it would be interesting to try to find connections because as you say it seems likely perhaps there is something. Maybe a generation back further.

Thanks for all your effort
Fiona
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby MattMcp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi Fiona

The McPhails are very musical , the gene has missed me but my father would have had a good run in the x factor ,my Uncle could pick up a tune by ear and knock it out on his accordion as could his daughters.

Look up Matthew Lindsay McPhail ,he was the director of the choir for the Ist Methodist Church of Steubenville Ohio,i know that 12 of his hymm are in the Methodist Bible.

The McPhail branch the went to Kansas had great financial success they had a coal mine and used their money to build two churches in the town,and again they were known as musical.

I found it a bit frustrating at first doing my direct line,i kept wondering why my grandfather james Lindsay mcphail had the wrong birth date until I discovered that there are three james Lindsay mcphail.

I have heard of the Islay connection but no one has any hard evidence,there is also an old mine on islay.

The names Hugh,Rodger,Matthew, Agnes and Margaret are repeated time and time again and they are all related.

Did your great grandfather come from Lanark or Argyll?

matt
MattMcp
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby FionaMc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Matt
I have actually noticed a few people looking for information on your ancestor which is not surprising considering the size of the family.

Angus MacMillan who remarried Ann MacSporran lived in Argyll but he was actually born in Lochaber in the Highlands. He moved with other members of his family to the Isle of Gigha then on to mainland Argyll. My MacMillans were immigrants to Argyll. We are pretty sure there are no relatives remaining in Argyll of this name.

Fiona
FionaMc
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Doreen Edwards » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:02 am

Kia ora from New Zealand, to you Matt and to cousin Fiona.
This is in reply to your email Matt....thanks for your interest. If you are still in the Campbeltown area you may wish to look in the Campbeltown library for a recently published book Kintyre to Catlins - Duncan McKinnon Smith & Agnes Wilkinson Smith (nee McMillan)- Celebrating the Centennial of their Arrival in New Zealand -1912 The book traces the Smiths from Gigha and the McMillans from Lochabar/ Glen Nevis to present day New Zealand. There is a brief section on the McPhails of Drumlemble. Margaret McPhail (1854-1913) and Allan McMillan (1855-1931) were my G-grandparents. I haven't sat down to work out our relationship with your Hugh yet.
My mother talked of an Irish connection but when a child you don't want to know. Consequently I never asked, and assumed that because of the close proximity of Ireland, that any of our branches may have crossed the small gap of water. However it could have been the OMay family from Rathlin she was referring to!
Please keep me posted......will be interested in following your branch.
To you both, best wishes for your research and for the coming year...Fiona its about time you slipped over the ditch to come and see your Kiwi cousins...lots of beds in the Catlins....we'll show you around...and swap notes and a few wee drinkies maybe....
Regards
Doreen Edwards NZ
Doreen Edwards
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby dancin2005 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:24 am

FionaMc wrote:Hi
I am looking for any descendants of Daniel (aka Donald) McPhail and Agnes McQuikkan (Wilkinson) they were married in campbeltown in 1842 although they lived in Drumlemble. They were my greatgreatgrandparents. They are buried in Kilkivan cemetery. They had 3 children Daniel (Donald), Angus and Margaret who lived past infancy (possibly more). Margaret married Allan MacMillan (McMillan) in 1877 and became the mother of 9 children. The whole family emigrated to New Zealand between 1908 -1912. I would love to hear from any of their descendants..

thanks Fiona McMillan (Australia)

I think I may be a descendent. I have an almost complete line of ancestors and can let you see the gedcom. If you are still looking I can send you details of my McPhail heritage all the way back to the 1700s.
dancin2005
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby maxine pitts » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:26 am

I am enjoying reading the various posts and understanding the connections between the McPhails and McMillans. My great-great grandfather was Duncan McMillan and his wife my great-great grandmother was Mary McPhail. They migrated from Campbelltown to Rockhampton in Queensland in about 1860 with most of their children and one grandchild who had been born en route. Duncan died at Dunwich on North Stradbroke Island just off Brisbane, I think, in the late 1900s. Mary died some years later, I think, in Brisbane. I would be very interested in knowing more of their origins in Scotland if anyone knows it.
maxine pitts
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Donald Mcphail » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi,
My name is Donald McPhail and live in West Lothian. I have just started to research my ancestory and I think have Traced back to Donald my GGG grandfather and Agnes. Their son Donald (GG grandfather) was killed in the pit accident in 1878, but had a son Donald (G Grandfather) to Margaret (Todd) in 1877. Margaret remarried a McInnes and they moved to Harthill between 1881 & 1891. My G granfather Donald married Harriet Lamont in 1905 and a son again Donald in 1908 (my grandfather), he married Mary McColl in 1933 and again had a son Donald (my father). My dad married Margaret Barrie in 1958 and I was born in 1964. I have just started the search but would be delighted to continue this post.
Regards Donald McPhail
Donald Mcphail
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Donald Mcphail » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi all, I have just started tracing my ancestry and believe Donald and Agnes to be my great great great grand parents. I believed he died in 1858. His son donald my great great grandfather died in the pit disaster but had a six month old son also Donald my great grand father. His mother remarried and moved to the harthill area in central Scotland. Donald married and had a son also Donald my grandfather. He had a son donald my father and I again Donald Mcphail was born in 1964. I would be delighted to hear from any of my relations. If anyone out there reply to this post and I will post an email address.
Regards
Donald Mcphail, Longridge, West Lothian
Donald Mcphail
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy